Bruins invited Ville Leino to training camp/Matt Fraser signed (1yr, two way)

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Thank you.

Leino sucks. Bruins management are crap for brains. (am I doing it right?)

So right now you are telling me that my opinion is invalid because someone on the team knows more than me. That is the point you are so condescendingly making.

On a forum to discuss the actions of a hockey team.

Have a good day, guy.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
You can't criticize anything this team does without being called stupid or narrow-minded or being dismissed as a hater.

And I am generally positive about this team and management (please see the grade Chiarelli thread), but I have the audacity to think that Ville Leino completely sucks and has no business being near a championship contender so **** me and my opinions.

Cool.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
You can't criticize anything this team does without being called stupid or narrow-minded or being dismissed as a hater.

And I am generally positive about this team and management (please see the grade Chiarelli thread), but I have the audacity to think that Ville Leino completely sucks and has no business being near a championship contender so **** me and my opinions.

Cool.

We're certainly moving towards the extremes.

You're either an apologist or a hater.

There's little room for grey area.

I see this in all aspects of discussion in our society and things are largely the same here with regards to the Bruins.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
So right now you are telling me that my opinion is invalid because someone on the team knows more than me. That is the point you are so condescendingly making.

On a forum to discuss the actions of a hockey team.

Have a good day, guy.

I'm saying, and have been saying all along, that it is a no risk tryout. Boston is in a bad position with the Cap and this is a possible (heavy emphasis on possible -- I think it's unlikely) option to explore. Big frigging deal. He doesn't have a contract and he's not in the opening lineup.

And the part about Joe Sacco is simply saying that an experienced NHL coach, who has seen as much or more of Leino's recent play than anyone else, obviously thinks there is at least some reason to offer him the PTO.

End of story. Nothing to get all pissed off about. And yes, you seem pissed off about it. Sorry, but that's the way it seems.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
We're certainly moving towards the extremes.

You're either an apologist or a hater.

There's little room for grey area.

I see this in all aspects of discussion in our society and things are largely the same here with regards to the Bruins.

When fans are trying to sell Ville Leino as any sort of positive I think that is the definition of apologist...

There should be zero grey area on Ville Leino breathing even the same air as the rest of the team, never mind being afforded an opportunity to make it.... :laugh:

He had zero goals in 837:11 of ice time. Please let that sink in a moment.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm saying, and have been saying all along, that it is a no risk tryout. Boston is in a bad position with the Cap and this is a possible (heavy emphasis on possible -- I think it's unlikely) option to explore. Big frigging deal. He doesn't have a contract and he's not in the opening lineup.

And the part about Joe Sacco is simply saying that an experienced NHL coach, who has seen as much or more of Leino's recent play than anyone else, obviously thinks there is at least some reason to offer him the PTO.

End of story. Nothing to get all pissed off about. And yes, you seem pissed off about it. Sorry, but that's the way it seems.

Literally every decision they make is because someone that knows more than me thinks it is the right decision. So no one should ever criticize anything the team does in the moment because of it? That is what you are saying.

Saying, "Um, I think they know more than you," is the epitome of immaturity when it comes to discussing a sports team. I'm not pissed because they invited Leino. Confused and worried, but not pissed. As for you talking to me like I'm a child, incredulous it the right word.

Mike O'Connell will always know more than me. He sure did a great job. I thought at the moment it happened the return on Thornton was ****. But by this logic I should have just kept quiet.

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012

Cool.

Who would you rather have as the 13th forward this year Caron or Leino? I know I would prefer Leino.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
When fans are trying to sell Ville Leino as any sort of positive I think that is the definition of apologist...

There should be zero grey area on Ville Leino breathing even the same air as the rest of the team, never mind being afforded an opportunity to make it.... :laugh:

FWIW ... that's the same pace as Ryan Spooner ;)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Teams bring in guys off the scrap heap all the time for camp to see if they have anything left.

It happens in all sports.

That the Bruins haven't had to resort to including any of them on their roster in recent memory speaks to organizational depth.
However, as they continue to lock up their core and whiff on some draft picks, this is par for the course.

You need warm bodies in camp to create competition in order to make your fringe players earn their position on the roster.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Teams bring in guys off the scrap heap all the time for camp to see if they have anything left.

It happens in all sports.

That the Bruins haven't had to resort to including any of them on their roster in recent memory speaks to organizational depth.
However, as they continue to lock up their core and whiff on some draft picks, this is par for the course.

You need warm bodies in camp to create competition in order to make your fringe players earn their position on the roster.

that 2007-2009 haul is killing us competition wise right now..

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Literally every decision they make is because someone that knows more than me thinks it is the right decision. So no one should ever criticize anything the team does in the moment because of it? That is what you are saying.

Saying, "Um, I think they know more than you," is the epitome of immaturity when it comes to discussing a sports team. I'm not pissed because they invited Leino. Confused and worried, but not pissed. As for you talking to me like I'm a child, incredulous it the right word.

Mike O'Connell will always know more than me. He sure did a great job. I thought at the moment it happened the return on Thornton was ****. But by this logic I should have just kept quiet.

Look, I don't want to get into more of a pissing match over this. And I agree -- you cannot simply use the logic that someone inside the organization knows more than me and therefore must be right. Your example of Mike O'Connell is a perfect, if not the perfect, example.

I'm just saying that Sacco is a pretty respected hockey guy with first hand knowledge and maybe he's right. I tend to doubt it, but I just don't think it's that big a deal either way. If Leino turns out to be some cheap solution who feels resurrected (a long shot, I know) then great. If he's just another Chris Clarke who disappears never to be heard from so be it.

I agree it's not a great situation to not have a sure fire depth option already in the organization.

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012

When fans try and say a player is worthless based on a couple season I think that is short sighted and unreasonable. I don't think there were many Flyers fans call him useless in the 2010-2011 season.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Good point. I'd love this move in 2010's camp.

He had 2 good seasons with Philly, the last one ending in '11, and then he went into the abyss that is Buffalo. B's are looking to see if he can return to the form of his Flyers days. Nothing more, nothing less.

I cannot, for the absolute life of me, figure out why people are so bent out of shape about this. It's unbelievable. The amount of energy some people are spending wailing about it is astounding.

It's nothing to get particularly excited or upset about as of right now. It just is. Let it play out.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
"An invite that will live in infamy."

-Obama on the Ville Leino crisis

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He had 2 good seasons with Philly, the last one ending in '11, and then he went into the abyss that is Buffalo. B's are looking to see if he can return to the form of his Flyers days. Nothing more, nothing less.

I cannot, for the absolute life of me, figure out why people are so bent out of shape about this. It's unbelievable. The amount of energy some people are spending wailing about it is astounding.

It's nothing to get particularly excited or upset about as of right now. It just is. Let it play out.

I'm mostly here for the fun and enjoyment of the thread TBH..

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I don't think we'll see both PTO players (Gagne & Leino) make the roster. I think it'll only be one and I think Gagne is a better fit... if he's healed, could be a diamond.

Leino was a top 40 Selke nominee several years back, had a couple of PO's where he was over a point per game pace (or close to it, iirc).

But he sucks on the FO (around 45% last year, less than 200 draws), so if the B's were to jettison Kelly, it's not a great replacement - but he has had success preventing goals and, defensively, I think he could be a better fit than Caron... but many players are better fits than Caron.

If Leino does beat out some of the kids... well then that speaks plenty more towards the B's poor drafting choices and, imo, reinforces why Sweeney is now really watching Cassidy in Providence.

Ideally, should we even be having this conversation? No, we shouldn't. There should be better options and/or the kids should be clearly heads and toes so good/ready to make an impact that PC wouldn't have even entertained the idea to invite Leino.

Let's see how this shakes out at camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad