Bruins invited Ville Leino to training camp/Matt Fraser signed (1yr, two way)

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
We are bored. And the fact the brass is deciding to even give guys like Gagne and Leino even an opportunity to take up ice space this fall is concerning, but these threads are always fun.

My take on this is if the kids are ready they will get their chance to play. Having guys in camp pushing everyone is never a bad idea. I don't like the idea of giving the kids a chance if they don't earn it. Put it this way, if Ville Leino makes the team then the kids are not what we think they are right?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'd give Fraser a long look. Super quick shot. Skating not so great but maybe his goal scoring makes up for it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
My take on this is if the kids are ready they will get their chance to play. Having guys in camp pushing everyone is never a bad idea. I don't like the idea of giving the kids a chance if they don't earn it. Put it this way, if Ville Leino makes the team then the kids are not what we think they are right?

Yes ... and the truth hurts... and no, I cannot handle the truth.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I know he did nothing for a couple of years but he can skate, kill penalties IIRC, and was a pretty good player with Philly, especially in the 2010 playoffs.

We've seen worse come through here and be the 13th or 14th forward.

Can't hurt to take a look.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Lunchtime!

claudekfc.png

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Smells like Marty McInnis to me.

Could be, but he is only 30, I think. It's only a tryout. If the worst he does is give the kids another veteran to learn something from, then it's fine.

If he makes the team, I'd guess that he deserves it. If not, no harm, no foul.

Scrobble

Jul 11, 2013
Wonder if Rask had a say in this decision. They are from the same (relatively small) town and also played on the same team couple of seasons.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I don't mind this.

In Buffalo he stunk.....but as Detroit Red Wing, he was pretty solid.

More competition!

I thought he was pretty solid in Philly too greek.

And I'll always remember the Pierre Maguire man-crush he had on Leino during the 2010 playoff run for Philly.

Always kind of liked him and like Greek said, more competition.

If he raises his game he might make a solid 4th liner.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Wonder if Rask had a say in this decision. They are from the same (relatively small) town and also played on the same team couple of seasons.

It's only fair, if DK gets a Czech friend, Rask gets a Fin friend. And it fits well with the Loui Carl kinship, but now I wonder why we didn't hold onto Meszaros. :amazed:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Leino now, Gagne earlier. Can we even give the kids a freaking chance to make it instead of filling up the camp with retreads and reclamation projects? Such a colossal waste of time and space.

You would be screaming murder about us not being proactive if the kids stunk it up.

We are in win now mode and even though the kids showed flashes look at Florek he had to be dropped from the 3rd line after a couple games where he did nothing wrong but was ineffective.

Neither Leino or Gagne is that old or that far removed from being 4-5 mil cap hit players. Leino just was given a stupidly awful contract.

This is a good move we have a lot of unknowns right now to fill out our last couple spots bringing in clear upgrades to Caron is smart and that is all Leino is at this point but I take it.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I'm less concerned that its Ville Leino on a tryout and more concerned that it's another left shot winger for some reason.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Could be, but he is only 30, I think. It's only a tryout. If the worst he does is give the kids another veteran to learn something from, then it's fine.

If he makes the team, I'd guess that he deserves it. If not, no harm, no foul.

And I know this...

I'm less ornery about this as being news than I am that it's the ONLY news. Things go as they appear and we're in for a season without a lot of boom potential and crammed right up against the cap, so without versatility to do much about it.

I wish I was more accepting of bridge years.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But what exactly has Fraser done to earn himself a 1 way deal?

If anything, it should add more motivation for him to have a strong camp.

He's done nothing, and I don't have an issue with it being a two way deal. I just found them saying it specifically to be interesting.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I like this, Leino was an absolute monster for Philly in the 2010 playoff. Might be the type of player who really need to play with a certain type of player to complimente his skill set. That Hartnell-Brière combo that made him look like a start has some similarity to the Lucic-Krejci combo, so who knows ...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You would be screaming murder about us not being proactive if the kids stunk it up.

We are in win now mode and even though the kids showed flashes look at Florek he had to be dropped from the 3rd line after a couple games where he did nothing wrong but was ineffective.

Neither Leino or Gagne is that old or that far removed from being 4-5 mil cap hit players. Leino just was given a stupidly awful contract.

This is a good move we have a lot of unknowns right now to fill out our last couple spots bringing in clear upgrades to Caron is smart and that is all Leino is at this point but I take it.

The team is in win now mode? Then PC must have gone out at last years deadline and brought in something significant to bolster their cup run. Or they must not have let their first line winger go and plan on replacing him with a guy who's been off for two years now, right? Or if they were in win now mode, they certainly didn't leverage last year at the expense of this year's cap to slide bonus pay from last year to today's cap, all for a guy who isn't even on the roster, which ultimately leaves them in cap jail now, right?

The net net is that while you say they're in win now mode, the actions of the front office don't necessarily agree with your statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad