Rumor: Bruins interested in Karl Alzner

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
giphy.gif

Reactions: Morrison

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
If this is all you can acquire, please leave it alone. We do not need anymore ifs, possibilities or additional luggage on the team.

Last edited:

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I poked fun at the Bruins in this thread, but honestly I don't see it and I think its likely garbage. The thread is 2 and a half months old, and if the Bs were actually thinking about signing him (to a contract) it probably would've happened by now. And while I don't know much about Haggerty, I've seen enough others say that he isn't all that reliable to think there is something "real" here.

That said, I do see the idea of a PTO not being absolutely terrible going into this season, just to see if he has any NHL skill left at all. The unpredictability with COVID and the ability to have the taxi squad would have it make SOME sense to at least have an experienced veteran on easy standby. I'm guessing Alzner won't be all that picky about a reduced role. Being realistic, the Bruins have some good young talent on D, but not really a lot of experienced depth. If they're intending on competing this year, having to rely on multiple rookies at the same time for any extended duration may be pretty painful.

(That second paragraph could honestly apply to a number of teams. Rebuilding ones that just want a veteran around could do worse. I've read that, along with his body being pretty beat up, Alzner found it very hard to adapt to the zone defense system Claude Julien deployed in Montreal, having come from man on man in Washington. Perhaps he could not suck horribly for the right team.)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Fair but Cassidy and Julien have their team play very similarly in the D zone.

good point... i listened to quite a detailed talk about alzner with his ahl time and i guess hes better there... solid... the thing is even on his best day he will never be spectacular.

his style of play is going out of practice in the nhl... puckmovers are all the rage. but most teams still keep a 5-6 dman that has some sandpaper to his game. boston is keeping kevan miller who isnt such a far removed example.

these guys arent saviors... but its useful to have one in your mix

i agree with you... they say montreal system was not at all to alzers likings or strengths and i do agree with you i sort of think bostons system is very similar. so personally... i dont see the fit

a pto doesnt harm anyone... but i wouldnt expect him to catch on

if he did sign... id expect it to be an ahl contract. we got kids in the ahl that could benefit from his type of leadership example

thats my prediction... a pto at the most if we have any interest at all
and then a year in providence and be there for playoff depth if we get crippled by injuries

Reactions: wintersej

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
If Bruins management gives this guy even a 2-way deal, they suck.

They will suck if they are even remotely thinking about it. :laugh:

They already suck for not resigning Chara.

I don't like the way it went down but I admire the Bruins management for making a decision to start playing the kids ( Lauzon, Vaakainen and Zboril ) and then sticking to it. I honestly wish they had brought back Big Z ( if he agreed that he was no longer going to be playing 20 minutes every night ) for one last season but I fully understand why they didn't despite knowing that they would get roasted for it.

Reactions: The don godfather

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
As someone who doesn't like the Bruins and want them to suck.

Don't do it.

Alzner is terrible. AHL is good a leader down there,but he doesn't have NHL material left in him. Questionable AHL level skill left.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Someone upvoted me from a post 10 weeks ago. I thought it was a joke......but nope.....this thread is still alive.

If Bruins management dropped Chara to sign Alzner...then it's time for Bruin fans to do a 1773 on them.....off a short pier.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
His wife opens the jars for him but go ahead and sign him. Someone will need to tighten his skates for him too.

OUCH....great line.

Alzner was Bbinz biggest mistake....and top 10 in Habs history. I thought Covid would squash all the tweeners and open the gates for the young ones...but nope. Stupid GMs still reign.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Probably won't happen. I don't want it to happen.

But... the Bruins wanted Chara to be a veteran player who was ok with being a reserve. They could still be in the market for someone they can stash on their taxi squad who has some nhl games under their belt.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

But... the Bruins wanted Chara to be a veteran player who was ok with being a reserve. They could still be in the market for someone they can stash on their taxi squad who has some nhl games under their belt.
I feel like the market has better players than modern day Alzner. He's not a NHL player now.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

I assume that is why they signed oft injured 33 year old Miller for, guy has bum knees and shoulder and has not played in 2 yrs. He should not get full time ice, he is the extra.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad