Rumor: Bruins interested in J.G. Pageau

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Why would we trade everybody? Karlsson may go - and if he does, who knows what'll happen, but this isn't the free for all people think it is lol. And why is he off limits? Because he's a good player on a good contract that'll likely see some spot duty on the 2nd line this year, a warrior, a guy who hits like he's 6'4", all the things people should know before assessing his value IMO.

They were the second worst team in hockey last year, they are about to trade their best player and their second best player is an rfa during the most tumultuous time in recent memory. They also play in a division with 3 top 10 teams who will likely be good for 2-3 years at least before time/free agency catches up. They've already begun bringing in cap number guys (gaborik, boedker) and the owner has stopped trying to work with the city to fix the middle of nowhere stadium issue.

The only exciting players they have past next year are young guys like Chabot, white and Brown. The smart play is to sell everything and build back up. That team isn't competing.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
They were the second worst team in hockey last year, they are about to trade their best player and their second best player is an rfa during the most tumultuous time in recent memory. They also play in a division with 3 top 10 teams who will likely be good for 2-3 years at least before time/free agency catches up. They've already begun bringing in cap number guys (gaborik, boedker) and the owner has stopped trying to work with the city to fix the middle of nowhere stadium issue.

The only exciting players they have past next year are young guys like Chabot, white and Brown. The smart play is to sell everything and build back up. That team isn't competing.

I've learned from watching as a fan you don't go crazy with panic in times like these, you carefully assess each player's value to the team and go from there. Do we need Matt Duchene? Hell yes, especially if Karlsson's leaving. Ditto Mark Stone. I think they're smart enough to know that times like these don't last nearly as long in this NHL, young players make impacts quicker, the cap makes it hard for teams to stay elite long, teams turn things around in a hurry (NJ, Colorado spring to mind immediately). And I honestly think you'll see Matt Duchene and Mark Stone sign long term contracts and say remarks to that exact effect. If not, then I'm wrong and we'll see Duchene traded and likely a short term bridge for Stone and that'll be that, they'll burn it to the ground.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It was pretty minor from what I heard. Several articles saying that it is not a long term concern and he will be 100% well before camp. So I don't think so.
Right on. I was thinking about Habs signing either Nash or Beagle. We need depth down the middle. Or trading down from 3 to 4 for Pageau. Quite sure Sens like Zadina, so we get our guy at 4 . Might as well get an asset for it.

What would B's want for Backes?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Right on. I was thinking about Habs signing either Nash or Beagle. We need depth down the middle. Or trading down from 3 to 4 for Pageau. Quite sure Sens like Zadina, so we get our guy at 4 . Might as well get an asset for it.

What would B's want for Backes?

All the cap hit gone. Given that his cap hit is 18 over 3 years and his real salary come July 2nd is only 11 over 3 years I think an internal cap team will be the best fit.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I've learned from watching as a fan you don't go crazy with panic in times like these, you carefully assess each player's value to the team and go from there. Do we need Matt Duchene? Hell yes, especially if Karlsson's leaving. Ditto Mark Stone. I think they're smart enough to know that times like these don't last nearly as long in this NHL, young players make impacts quicker, the cap makes it hard for teams to stay elite long, teams turn things around in a hurry (NJ, Colorado spring to mind immediately). And I honestly think you'll see Matt Duchene and Mark Stone sign long term contracts and say remarks to that exact effect. If not, then I'm wrong and we'll see Duchene traded and likely a short term bridge for Stone and that'll be that, they'll burn it to the ground.
But, is Pageau a guy that you keep around? I understand he's a great player, probably a pretty good leader too, but you could probably get a few good assets for the future for him and try fill his position rather with someone younger.

I don't believe for a second that if Karlsson could possibly be traded that "Pageau isn't going anywhere" as another Sens fan reiterated.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
But, is Pageau a guy that you keep around? I understand he's a great player, probably a pretty good leader too, but you could probably get a few good assets for the future for him and try fill his position rather with someone younger.

I don't believe for a second that if Karlsson could possibly be traded that "Pageau isn't going anywhere" as another Sens fan reiterated.

I don't think there are futures that would make Ottawa trade Pageau, especially if they're in the mindset of getting things back on track quickly. Karlsson's being traded for completely different reasons, try as I can I can't think of a scenario where Pageau is moved barring a silly overpayment.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Uh.....Wot? I like pageau but why would any team overpay like that for a 3rd line center? youre asking for some of our top prospects.

As a previous stated, JGP is worth more to the Sens than his market value so it would take an over payment to acquire him. What motivating factors exist to trade JGP?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

According if Sens go full rebuild. If they keep 4th pick in draft will say a lot. They need some character to build around. Would you give up a first in '19 for Pageau?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
As a neutral fan I could see it. Would be a replacement for Nash, and its pretty likely you could convince Ott to take Backes as well as he costs less real money than he does Cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad