2019 Winter Classic Bruins /Hawks at Notre Dame 1/1/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I just hope the teams come onto the ice to the soundtrack from Rudy. I mean, Bergeron has seen the movie, and all... :laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
cut.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I just realized I will be in Florida for this. Guess no road trip after all.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I like that the NHL is branching out to new markets/stadiums, but Notre Lame is right up there with the Habs and Pens as my most hated sports franchises. I reckon that doesn't add anything to this discussion, but felt the need to let my disdain be known.
Have you ever been to its campus? I'm not an alum but I have visited South Bend at least half a dozen times. Impressed with its beauty and the spirit of the student body. There's more to the Fightin' Irish than Rudy.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Have you ever been to its campus? I'm not an alum but I have visited South Bend at least half a dozen times. Impressed with its beauty and the spirit of the student body. There's more to the Fightin' Irish than Rudy.

First time I ever worked a game at Notre Dame it was memorable.

I am not a BC guy but I will never forget how Eagles's head coach Tom Coughlin turned down a NFL job in 1993 because he wanted another crack at Lou Holtz - oh did he get even.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I don't doubt it's a beautiful place. My distaste for their institutions stems from an incident several years ago where they had a contractual agreement to do a football home and home with my alma mater, but after my Huskies kicked their asses on their home turf, they backed out of their end of the agreement and never came to Hartford. Buncha sore losers.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't doubt it's a beautiful place. My distaste for their institutions stems from an incident several years ago where they had a contractual agreement to do a football home and home with my alma mater, but after my Huskies kicked their asses on their home turf, they backed out of their end of the agreement and never came to Hartford. Buncha sore losers.

The BC kicker who won that game against ND was the son of the Hartford Whalers owner at the time.

Reactions: UConn126

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
OK, you're still upset at the snub. But putting it in the same hate mode asHabs is strong.

BC joined the ACC when UCon thought it had a natural rivalry for years to come. Things happen in business, sports and academia. How long can you carry a grudge? Is there a new AD at ND?

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
What do you think ticket prices will be like for this event? Think it's going to sell out or is the stadium massive?

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I live three hours away. If at all possible, I'm planning to make the trip.

Fun fact - five NHL regular season games have been played in Indiana. The Blackhawks are 0-5 in those games. Hopefully, that continues.

(One of those games involved the Bruins - 3-2 win on 1/21/54 at the Indianapolis Fairgrounds Coliseum. Joe Klukay scored twice in the third period. Jim Henry was the Bruins' goaltender. Three years before, he played in that building for the AHL's Indianapolis Capitals Boston Bruins - Chicago Blackhawks - January 21st, 1954)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenway

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
What do you think ticket prices will be like for this event? Think it's going to sell out or is the stadium massive?

80K seats. It's an hour and a half from Chicago, a fanbase that's getting outdoor game fatigue, so I have no idea. I expect it will sell out, but I don't expect to see the level of demand for the Wrigley Field or Soldier Field games.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
80K seats. It's an hour and a half from Chicago, a fanbase that's getting outdoor game fatigue, so I have no idea. I expect it will sell out, but I don't expect to see the level of demand for the Wrigley Field or Soldier Field games.

This is the first Winter Classic where one of the teams is not in driving range of the game. Boston is 900 miles and 14 hours away if the roads are clear.

IF you are driving take the I-84 to I-80 route instead of I-90 as the stretch of I-90 from Buffalo to Cleveland is notorious for lake effect snow. No direct flights to South Bend so Chicago is the best option.

Reactions: crimsonace

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'm debating it.

I went to ND for a BC/ND game with my grandfather probably 15 years ago, and it's one of my favorite memories. Great campus an atmosphere there.

We stayed in Chicago and drove down.

Any idea when jerseys are going to be revealed? Was it October last time?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This is the first Winter Classic where one of the teams is not in driving range of the game. Boston is 900 miles and 14 hours away if the roads are clear.

IF you are driving take the I-84 to I-80 route instead of I-90 as the stretch of I-90 from Buffalo to Cleveland is notorious for lake effect snow. No direct flights to South Bend so Chicago is the best option.

Thanks. My brother and i are in talks to do the game in buffalo on 12/29. The plan would be for my girlfriend and i to pick him up (he’s from Brooklyn) on the way to Buffalo either late the 28th or the following morning. Pick his girlfriend up (she’s gonna be flying in from Texas) in Buffalo. Catch the Bruins. Stay the night in Buffalo and drive over to South Bend on the 30th.

It’s not getting out there that sucks. It’s gonna be coming back. I don’t fly so I’ve gotten very good at driving long distance by myself without stopping. But everyone else is gonna want to fly. Oh well.

If it happens of course. I’m sure it’s a pipe dream. But i did the Fenway game and the Gillette game, so i feel compelled to make this work.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm debating it.

I went to ND for a BC/ND game with my grandfather probably 15 years ago, and it's one of my favorite memories. Great campus an atmosphere there.

We stayed in Chicago and drove down.

Any idea when jerseys are going to be revealed? Was it October last time?

Last time the Bruins played in the WC, the Bruins jersey reveal was late October - the Saturday after Bergeron's son was born. I remember because he wasn't there - and I was happy that he wasn't! Zack was born on early Wednesday morning, and Bergy played a home game that night followed by a road game Friday I think....then the reveal on Saturday. I think by then Bergeron was probably ready to hop off the plane and go to bed, and I can't blame him.

Last year, the jersey reveal for the Rangers and the Sabres were 1-2 weeks before Thanksgiving. Seemed a bit stupid to me - doesn't give you might time to order the jersey online to have to wear to the game. But I think last year it was jersey overload, with 31 faux-new jerseys from Adidas when they took over for Reebok. There's about 20 more new third jerseys to be revealed over this summer (no official Bruins third), and I'm guessing the Bruins will use the WC jersey as a third jersey for a few games, just like they did the year of the WC (and the year after, when it replaced the old third jersey.)

I don't know if the reveal for the visiting team is usually later...and the Bruins literally have no precedent for being the WC visiting team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad