2019 Winter Classic Bruins /Hawks at Notre Dame 1/1/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I really liked both WC jerseys. I still wear the one from a few years ago semi regularly.

1j7taw.png

Looks good on you though. :)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
This will be the 2nd time the Bruins play in a Winter Classic. I still dont count the Canadiens game at Gillette because the Bruins never showed up for that one.

That was definitely the most disappointing regular season game in my life.

Reactions: TP

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Not this year it doesn't. Hasn't for a few years now.

I disagree, having healthy Krejci, Backes and even Marchand now back in the line up is significant difference, combine that with promising youngsters and you have something good going.

Remember last year play offs, depleted with injuries again vs Ottawa (they did have one leg Karlsson though but still, injuries to some of the key players play big part of the entire being good picture).

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
And yeah, the defence is shaping up to be pretty good. I am still amazed how quickly they managed to turn around this part of the line up.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Has anyone ever been to a winter classic? I've always thought about going, but it seems like it would be a nightmare to see the ice surface.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone ever been to a winter classic? I've always thought about going, but it seems like it would be a nightmare to see the ice surface.
I've been to two outdoor games, one in LA and one for AHL, both baseball stadiums. If you are in the right spot, it's not too bad, but other angles (especially for the baseball configuration) are basically pointless. I have wanted to go to one at a football stadium, even if you could be further away, the sightlines and geometry make sense.

Although, what I think the NHL (or some investors) should do is create a permanent outdoor hockey arena in Toronto. Perfect sightlines for the fans, close/tight atmosphere for the game, and with the beauty of an open sky. It could be the Winter Classic there every year, plus other events for AHL, college, amateur. Could be used all the time to skate for public. It would be a huge boon. And it doesn't have to have all the hightech stuff for major arenas with it's openness and such, or it could have a retractable roof.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I've been to two outdoor games, one in LA and one for AHL, both baseball stadiums. If you are in the right spot, it's not too bad, but other angles (especially for the baseball configuration) are basically pointless. I have wanted to go to one at a football stadium, even if you could be further away, the sightlines and geometry make sense.

Although, what I think the NHL (or some investors) should do is create a permanent outdoor hockey arena in Toronto. Perfect sightlines for the fans, close/tight atmosphere for the game, and with the beauty of an open sky. It could be the Winter Classic there every year, plus other events for AHL, college, amateur. Could be used all the time to skate for public. It would be a huge boon. And it doesn't have to have all the hightech stuff for major arenas with it's openness and such, or it could have a retractable roof.
I always thought an outdoor tennis arena type would be awesome. Obviously, the ice surface will be a bit bigger... but something like this would be awesome.

179714504-2020688.jpg

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I went to the Alumni game at Gillette, but sold my tix for the WC. Great decision, IMO. I think I had seats in 237 - a little to the right of Fenway and on about the same level, I think. The view wasn't that great, but if you look at the whole picture, NONE of the views are really all that much better. It's a geometry problem: the field's too big for the rink, but you can't put people on the empty part of the field because there's no slope. Even the front row of Gillette isn't really "part of the action". IMO, even middle-of-the-road 237 was a worse view than the Gallery Gods at the Garden...but still passable. Better reasons to avoid the game are the crazy ticket prices and the uncertainty of the date (especially if you're not free the next day).

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I went to Fenway. We were low, near home plate. Horrible game watching experience. All I saw were torso's going by. Had to watch the game on their shitty big screen. It was fun being at the first one in Boston and the first hockey game in Fenway Park. But when we got home I watched the game on DVR so I could actually see what happened and how it all played out.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I went to Fenway. We were low, near home plate. Horrible game watching experience. All I saw were torso's going by. Had to watch the game on their ****ty big screen. It was fun being at the first one in Boston and the first hockey game in Fenway Park. But when we got home I watched the game on DVR so I could actually see what happened and how it all played out.

Fenway wasn't too bad but Foxborough was just blah. Had the game been even competitive I might feel differently. Throw in what happened to Denna Laing it was overall a bad memory.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I went to the Alumni game at Gillette, but sold my tix for the WC. Great decision, IMO. I think I had seats in 237 - a little to the right of Fenway and on about the same level, I think. The view wasn't that great, but if you look at the whole picture, NONE of the views are really all that much better. It's a geometry problem: the field's too big for the rink, but you can't put people on the empty part of the field because there's no slope. Even the front row of Gillette isn't really "part of the action". IMO, even middle-of-the-road 237 was a worse view than the Gallery Gods at the Garden...but still passable. Better reasons to avoid the game are the crazy ticket prices and the uncertainty of the date (especially if you're not free the next day).

If I recall correctly the face value of our tickets was $195. I was originally going to work the game but I found out a couple of days after Christmas that I had won a Draft Kings NHL promotion. I actually finished third but the 2 ahead of me refused the prize. The prize was tickets to both games, 2 nights at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel, transport by bus from the hotel to Foxborough and $1,000 to cover my airfare to Boston. :laugh: so in that regard I hit the jackpot.

The reality is when you go to an outdoor game you watch the scoreboard - a lot.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
I disagree, having healthy Krejci, Backes and even Marchand now back in the line up is significant difference, combine that with promising youngsters and you have something good going.

Remember last year play offs, depleted with injuries again vs Ottawa (they did have one leg Karlsson though but still, injuries to some of the key players play big part of the entire being good picture).
Okilly dokilly.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Been to both here, and a college game at Fenway. Sit up high no matter how far back you have to be, you can still follow it. I prefer the ends at the Garden but looking at the ice the long way is better if you have to be super far. After that, try to get the best view of the biggest screen there.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Looking forward to seeing the uniform. I hope they continue going with a historically-inspired design and don't just make something new. I would like to see something inspired by the black jersey seen here: Boston Bruins 1949-51 - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

Although I do have a soft spot for the Pooh Bear jerseys... :D

EDIT- I guess they'll most likely be wearing white...

I've always been a big fan of this one: Boston Bruins 1981-95 - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

But if they want to way back, this could be interesting
Boston Bruins 1944-48 - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Got Monster Seats at Fenway, first row, a few days before the game at face value (still super expensive) in huge part because of some posters on this board.

It was one of the best days of my life and worth every penny.

I had no interest in the Gillette game.

I'm debating going to this one though.

Reactions: Fenway

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Glad to see I'm not the only one over this whole Winter Classic nonsense. It's passe. It's been done. The novelty is gone. Take a few years off and bring it back for special occasions. Every year though, with this and the Heritage Classic is too much, IMO.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Glad to see I'm not the only one over this whole Winter Classic nonsense. It's passe. It's been done. The novelty is gone. Take a few years off and bring it back for special occasions. Every year though, with this and the Heritage Classic is too much, IMO.
Don't forget the stadium series!

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad