Post-Game Talk: Bruins get Buffaloed in Shootout - only get one point

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
But what does it profit a team to win the President's trophy but not the Stanley Cup?
LA proved just recently that a team can finish in 8th and still win the cup.
In a few years no one will remember the president's trophy winner but they will remember the cup winner.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'd just like to share how utterly impressed I am by the creativity the B's showed in the shoot out.

You're going up against a goaltender that is 6'6", so it makes sense that instead of trying to get him to move, you just rip off a wrister ---- 3 separate times.

Elmer

Dec 18, 2014
Boston
I'd just like to share how utterly impressed I am by the creativity the B's showed in the shoot out.

You're going up against a goaltender that is 6'6", so it makes sense that instead of trying to get him to move, you just rip off a wrister ---- 3 separate times.

Clode puts Marchand in the shootout but doesn't use him at all on the struggling power play.

3t9591.jpg

OldFESeides

May 15, 2014
But what does it profit a team to win the President's trophy but not the Stanley Cup?
In a few years no one will remember the president's trophy winner but they will remember the cup winner.

LA is the ONLY team to ever win a cup from the 8th seed. They also played in the lowest seeded cup final ever. Jersey was the 6th seed that year. Since 1994 only one other 8th seed made it to the cup finals, and that was EDM in 2006. Only four 7 seeded teams have made it to the final (VAN-94, BUF-99, ANA-2003, PHL 2010) all of who lost in the finals.

I get that your saying people remember the winners, but getting there from where we sit currently......the odds are not in our favor.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Nothing at all, much like a single regular season loss to an awful team. One is just more indicative of the quality of the team in a given year than the other.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

L.A had a way better defence though then this Bruins group.:help:

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Clode puts Marchand in the shootout but doesn't use him at all on the struggling power play.

3t9591.jpg

I'm almost at the point where I think Julien has Bergy penciled in permanently and then spins a wheel to determine the other two shooters.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
LA is the ONLY team to ever win a cup from the 8th seed. They also played in the lowest seeded cup final ever. Jersey was the 6th seed that year. Since 1994 only one other 8th seed made it to the cup finals, and that was EDM in 2006. Only four 7 seeded teams have made it to the final (VAN-94, BUF-99, ANA-2003, PHL 2010) all of who lost in the finals.

I get that your saying people remember the winners, but getting there from where we sit currently......the odds are not in our favor.

The thing is to make it to the dance. Once there anything can happen and the most unlikely things do happen.
Are the odds against this team - the way they've played since games 6 & 7 last year against Montreal - yes the odds are against them. But outside of Montreal I don't think there is a team in the east that wants to play the Bruins in a 7 game series ... just because of the style Boston plays.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The thing is to make it to the dance. Once there anything can happen and the most unlikely things do happen.
Are the odds against this team - the way they've played since games 6 & 7 last year against Montreal - yes the odds are against them. But outside of Montreal I don't think there is a team in the east that wants to play the Bruins in a 7 game series ... just because of the style Boston plays.

One big cliché, but the "style" Boston plays?

Slow and boring? No skill whatsoever? Intimidate after the final whistle? I'm not sure what style people are afraid of.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
One big cliché, but the "style" Boston plays?

Slow and boring? No skill whatsoever? Intimidate after the final whistle? I'm not sure what style people are afraid of.

Low scoring one goal games where one mistake either way could be the game.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
I particularity enjoy when they have the puck down low, 2 feet from the net and instead of taking it to the net - they send it 60 feet back to the point for either a blocked shot or something 6 feet wide. My son's squirt team has more imagination.

This makes it way too easy for the opposing defence. You need to mix it up. Using the points isn't necessarily a bad play. It can open things up, but the Bruins sometimes become a little too predictable with it.

They often go low to high, then D to D, resulting in a weak wrister from the corner looking for a tip. It rarely works. They should use some jam plays at the net. Throw the puck across the crease, look for seam passes, crash the net, cause havok. Philly use to do this really well. Watch guys like Gallagher and Simmonds.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bruins are prolly most mad about getting a late start on celebrating St Pats Day..

Tuukka got an early start :laugh:

I just saw this from last night's GDT (thanks DKH:sarcasm:)

"What's funny is Pierre loves Ladyfan. As soon as he comes in right to her and I think he has asked her where she went to college"

I pissed Pierre off last year (or maybe it was the year before) and he stormed off. Next time he came out he gave me the peace sign and stops to say hello most times when he is in Boston.

I don't have to listen to him during the game when it is at home.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

The pure opposite of the recent struggling shootout attempts where we over dangle instead of simply shooting. Mind boggling.

As for those lines I think it all but spells the end for Spooner, no? As ridiculous as that should seem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad