Management Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney - 1/11/2022

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Yep, we can't assume he is going to be the Tuukka of old. He might be, and he clearly feels like he can be but it's a gamble. Ullmark's NMC is not even that big of a deal. He is a quality NHL starter. If Tuukka is really back and Ullmark decides he wants out, he will waive and someone will want him. This NMC is just protection against him getting shoveled off someplace shitty or being waived: having no control over where ends up.

It is. Just look what happend with Hall last year. He literally forced Sabres to accept a 2nd pick as he had a full control where he would waive. Sweeney has given out NTC/NMC in the offseason like it's a free candy to some random guys who have not proved anything. I am ok with Hall getting one though.

However NMC for Ullmark? He has not played a single minute in the playoffs. Has not proved anything in terms of durability or wins. His save % is not at a star level.

NTC for Forbort? He was on a 1 year deal in Winnipeg. He is nowhere near to reach a star level that could demand that kind of protection.

NMC for Foligno? Are you kidding me? Guy was a trash in the playoffs for Leafs last year. If Sweeney was bothered to watch a single game he would reject that part immediately.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
It's easy to say that when the GM is holding pocket aces and no one else knows. Sweeney has nothing and his hand is visible to everyone in the NHL. The fact that his own players and prospects in Providence are fed up with him stringing them along and demanding trade requests are proof of this. Sweeney is in way over his god damn head and has no idea what he's doing with regards to team building other than "let's bring back the band again for one more run". At the rate the Bruins are going, they are running themselves into the ground and will crater like the Red Wings under Ken Holland unless they blow out Neely and Sweeney.
I’m not disagreeing but your argument doesn’t hold water about why he should tell us everything. He shouldn’t. Weather or not he’s headed for a collapse is irrelevant.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Because god forbid we roll with Vladar and Swayman to start the year and have them hold down the fort until bringing Rask back.

Vladar btw, has been a decent back up for the Flames.
Swayman has been very good. But he's also worked in tandem with a guy who isn't also a freshman at his first high school dance.

Vladar has done exactly what you'd expect from a rookie goalie. In general he's performed very well against poor teams and not well against better teams. He's also now in a brutal stretch of 3 games over the past month where his GPA and SV% per game has been 4.06/4.00/6.00 and .846/.879/.838 respectively.

Not saying he's a bad goalie -- just that if you're a guy interviewing with me for a GM position and when asked about your goalie plans your answer is "I'm going with two guys who have a combined 15 NHL games under their belt"....... you don't get the job. Shit, you don't even get another question.

Seriously.........

bruinsfan

Aug 2, 2005
I saw a comment earlier in the thread that mentioned Sweeney and Neely are building a culture that players want to play in. That might be true for the guys that are here but from the outside looking in, it seems as if we can't sign players who want to play for this team unless their is an overpayment or a NMC.

At this point with all the rumors of many of The teams younger players asking out and the Bruins core slowly decling or getting ready to retire, the culture and appeal to play for this team along side guys like Bergeron and Marchand is declining, and if they keep signing older players that are on the decline along with NYC/NMC that block the younger players out then this team will continue to be mediocre. I am not sure what the fix is here but I sure hope Sweeney and Neely are not here to see it through.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
At the minimum

For the Bruins

He beat out Halak. And was playing as well as Rask during the last 15 games or so
What I meant was who is he backing up in Boston give the scenarios Sweeney was faced with? Two options:

#1 Swayman #2 Vladar (15 NHL games)
#1 Vladar #2 Swayman (15 NHL games)
Injured Rask who indicates he wants to play but requires surgery and isn't even Bruins property.

Unless you sign another goalie. Which every GM in the League would have done.

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
I saw a comment earlier in the thread that mentioned Sweeney and Neely are building a culture that players want to play in. That might be true for the guys that are here but from the outside looking in, it seems as if we can't sign players who want to play for this team unless their is an overpayment or a NMC.

At this point with all the rumors of many of The teams younger players asking out and the Bruins core slowly decling or getting ready to retire, the culture and appeal to play for this team along side guys like Bergeron and Marchand is declining, and if they keep signing older players that are on the decline along with NYC/NMC that block the younger players out then this team will continue to be mediocre. I am not sure what the fix is here but I sure hope Sweeney and Neely are not here to see it through.

Any shopping done on the opening day of free agency results in paying a premium based on market forces, not a Bruins problem per se. If I was a professional athlete and I got to free agency I would give up a few bucks for a NMC or a NTC in a heartbeat. Would rather the certainty of knowing where I rest my head each night (especially if kids are involved) than unpacking/packing/unpacking. These clauses are pretty common in today's world as well, not just in Boston.

Reactions: RoccoF14

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Any shopping done on the opening day of free agency results in paying a premium based on market forces, not a Bruins problem per se. If I was a professional athlete and I got to free agency I would give up a few bucks for a NMC or a NTC in a heartbeat. Would rather the certainty of knowing where I rest my head each night (especially if kids are involved) than unpacking/packing/unpacking. These clauses are pretty common in today's world as well, not just in Boston.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
I am not sure in what universe Ullmark has done anything to warrant a full NMC in first two years of a deal on a new team, or a bottom pair D spare part like Forbort gets a modified NTC, or a broken down Foligno gets a NMC at his age and miles, or even Coyle gets an NMC over course of full contract extension with all those years and price.

Support our GM and boneheaded decisions like that if you like, but his string of terrible “perks” decisions on lesser talent and unnecessary FA signings to term have and will continue to brutally impact this team (see Moore, John; Backes, David; Belesky, Matt for more info).

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
A Grade - Rask, McAvoy, Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak,
B Grade - Gryzlyk, Carlo, Hall, Smith,
C Grade - Coyle, Nosek, Haula, Debrusk, Ulmark, Steen
D Grade - Foligno, Forbort, Reilly, Clifton, Lazar,
this is the grade on these 20 players as i see it. Is it enough to have a long playoff run with these 20 in line-up in the playoffs ?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
this is the grade on these 20 players as i see it. Is it enough to have a long playoff run with these 20 in line-up in the playoffs ?

Yes, Ullmark should be an A

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Good lord. Ullmark a C? Forbort and Lazar a D? Steen a C?

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
What I meant was who is he backing up in Boston give the scenarios Sweeney was faced with? Two options:

#1 Swayman #2 Vladar (15 NHL games)
#1 Vladar #2 Swayman (15 NHL games)
Injured Rask who indicates he wants to play but requires surgery and isn't even Bruins property.

Unless you sign another goalie. Which every GM in the League would have done.

Bruins needed to bring in a vet goalie no question IMO. However, I'm not sure why he wasn't targeting someone on a 2 year deal like a Bernier or Reimer. Could've just as easily formed a tandem with Swayman & prepared for a possible Rask return. Or if Rask doesn't come back, theoretically Swayman is the #1 in 2 years & you can address a backup as needed. 5 years with a NMC was just bizarre.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I would flip Forbort and Gryzlyk, DeBrusk is a bit high. When he feels like playing he is a top six forward, when not (most of the time) he shouldn't even be on the ice. Clifton I would move up to a C. Frederic is a C.

Now the important question about a long playoff run, the answer to me is no way. Maybe they win a round, maybe. But this team is not built for the playoffs, they are built to make the playoffs, make JJ some more money and that's it.

what do they have to do to contend? A number two center, Hertl. Gourde and Domi are all massive improvements over any center on this team not named Bergeron. An impact top 4 D. Chychrun, Giordano, Dunn, Tyler Myers. Somebody who can play with an edge, ideally they add a power play point as well because that is not Reilly.

At least one physical forward. Crouse would be a great addition.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

bingo…

Im too lazy to add or sort…but bingo.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It is. Just look what happend with Hall last year. He literally forced Sabres to accept a 2nd pick as he had a full control where he would waive. Sweeney has given out NTC/NMC in the offseason like it's a free candy to some random guys who have not proved anything. I am ok with Hall getting one though.

However NMC for Ullmark? He has not played a single minute in the playoffs. Has not proved anything in terms of durability or wins. His save % is not at a star level.

NTC for Forbort? He was on a 1 year deal in Winnipeg. He is nowhere near to reach a star level that could demand that kind of protection.

NMC for Foligno? Are you kidding me? Guy was a trash in the playoffs for Leafs last year. If Sweeney was bothered to watch a single game he would reject that part immediately.

Forbort's is a modified NTC. He can be moved pretty easily.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Swayman has been very good. But he's also worked in tandem with a guy who isn't also a freshman at his first high school dance.

Vladar has done exactly what you'd expect from a rookie goalie. In general he's performed very well against poor teams and not well against better teams. He's also now in a brutal stretch of 3 games over the past month where his GPA and SV% per game has been 4.06/4.00/6.00 and .846/.879/.838 respectively.

Not saying he's a bad goalie -- just that if you're a guy interviewing with me for a GM position and when asked about your goalie plans your answer is "I'm going with two guys who have a combined 15 NHL games under their belt"....... you don't get the job. Shit, you don't even get another question.

Seriously.........

Couldn't agree more.
It's mind-numbing how many times this gets brought up. - I am near done with beating my head against the wall with it.
No matter how good a young goalie looks in a short sample size nor how good he looks in limited starts with a solid veteran starter - they are going to get exposed if you rush things and give them the reigns. Relax. Do not put time on ffwd - no matter how great you think the kid in net is. You're risking your season, the kid's career and your future between the pipes. It's one of the most common mistakes made in the NHL. It happens all the time.

Reactions: Number8

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Donny looks pretty good when players finally got put into situations to succeed

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Swayman will be way way way better ironing out a few things in the AHL long term

this makes complete sense

Ullsy & Tuukka both coming back from injuries so his time could be shot

Not a fan of the We Want Rask Chant late in third and really hope we Don’t Get a We Want Sway If Ullmark has a bad game - horrible

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Forbort's is a modified NTC. He can be moved pretty easily.
He makes 3 M and has been overall very good

what am I missing here ? He’s not Larry Robinson ? He doesn’t have a beard and cross checks everyone like Bortuzzo or Savard?

Reactions: Agent86

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He makes 3 M and has been overall very good

what am I missing here ? He’s not Larry Robinson ? He doesn’t have a beard and cross checks everyone like Bortuzzo or Savard?

agreed. I basically hated every move and other than Foligno you really can’t find anything grievous. Everyone seems to be fitting in pretty well

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
agreed. I basically hated every move and other than Foligno you really can’t find anything grievous. Everyone seems to be fitting in pretty well
Is he or ironic that me and you liked Foligno and rank 1 and 2 in hockey knowledge here now that Joe aka @GloryDaze4877 left because everyone made fun of Heinen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad