Management Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney - 1/11/2022

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I don't believe Sweeney told us the truth regarding Swayman's reaction. It didn't come as a surprise to Swayman.

I wouldn't be surprised if Swayman joins the group asking for a trade.

Reactions: bruinsfan1970

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't believe Sweeney told us the truth regarding Swayman's reaction. It didn't come as a surprise to Swayman.

Swayman isn’t an idiot though, he had to know it was coming

he should be more upset about giving a NMC to Ullmark and four year deal. That’s his true road block

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The one thing I will say, Swayman apparently was not in on any of this until yesterday so those who said he was were wrong. I just assumed he was kept in the loop. He wasn’t. That makes you see why so many of these guys want out, Bruins could have been more upfront with him considering he is their future. The young guys just seem like nameless pieces to me until they get a break with an injury

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I didn’t think he was incompetent and though he loves ambiguity I don’t believe the implication was that Swayman was blindsided even if he talked to him yesterday and Swayman was disappointed yesterday. I don’t have any arguments to sway the previous posters just contrasting my view here.

Reactions: chizzler

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
The one thing I will say, Swayman apparently was not in on any of this until yesterday so those who said he was were wrong. I just assumed he was kept in the loop. He wasn’t. That makes you see why so many of these guys want out, Bruins could have been more upfront with him considering he is their future. The young guys just seem like nameless pieces to me until they get a break with an injury
Even if they didnt told him anyhting, like you said, he isnt an idiot and had to know this was coming. He also has an agent who is paid to keep tabs with the FO. He had to know.
But i completely agree with your point, it almost seems like they are pushing these guys out, its ridiculous.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
For someone with his brutal track record he just comes across as so goddamn arrogant.
Ugh

Reactions: EvilDead

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

not a chance with respect, while his future appears really, really bright, this isn`t a Vezina winning goalie with years of service getting the shaft. This is a kid who has 20 something NHL games under his belt, another 9-10 AHL games and everyone and his sister knew Tuukka was going to play only for the B`s when healthy, this was hardly a case of Sweeney blindsiding him. Will he/is he a bit disappointed with having to go play in Providence now? I`d say so but he`s not the finished product, there`s still plenty I`d like to see him clean up and work on down there

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don’t know what people expect sometimes in these interviews. He isn’t going to tell you his plans or his thinking. It’s not how it works. Whatever you think of him is fine. I don’t want my GM showing his cards. Swayman knew very well he was going down. Sure he’s bummed. Who wouldn’t be, but he doesn’t strike me as a kid that will let this bring him down.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Nothing really to gripe about.

Swayman should be disappointed and want to get back - that's a good thing, he should want to stay up.

He hasn't outplayed Ullmark.

He will get more starts in Providence than he would Boston.

Adding Rask dirt cheap is frosting to Boston.

If Rask or Ullmark falter Swayman can step in like he did last year for Halak.

It's a win, win, win situation.

Sweeney's created the environment that these guys want to be in.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Not this season. But my guess is, if Rask signs an extension after this season. And Ullmark is going nowhere...

then yes

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
My beef is Sweeney doesn't take advantage of all the contract discounts the B's are giving him.
I don't follow other teams, but between Rask, Bergie, Marchand, and Pasta your talking like
13 Million in savings. What other team has that in stars that left money on the table ?
He pisses the savings away on 3 to 4 million 4th liners and # 5/6 Dmen, who don't help alot.
What kind of team will he put together when the players stop giving him a discount.
You can probably include Mac and Hall as players who left a little on the table as well.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
they leave it up to the coaches. Like most GMs. I’m sure they have meetings on it but in the end the staff is the staff for a reason
So then the recent changes was at the request/disagreement from the meeting (argument) in the locker room?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Nothing really to gripe about.

Swayman should be disappointed and want to get back - that's a good thing, he should want to stay up.

He hasn't outplayed Ullmark.

He will get more starts in Providence than he would Boston.

Adding Rask dirt cheap is frosting to Boston.

If Rask or Ullmark falter Swayman can step in like he did last year for Halak.

It's a win, win, win situation.

Sweeney's created the environment that these guys want to be in.

Its not a win win for Swayman

He showed - end of last season he was at worst a competent backup.

but then Don signed Ullmark out of nowhere

Reactions: EvilDead

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I don’t know what people expect sometimes in these interviews. He isn’t going to tell you his plans or his thinking. It’s not how it works. Whatever you think of him is fine. I don’t want my GM showing his cards. Swayman knew very well he was going down. Sure he’s bummed. Who wouldn’t be, but he doesn’t strike me as a kid that will let this bring him down.

It's easy to say that when the GM is holding pocket aces and no one else knows. Sweeney has nothing and his hand is visible to everyone in the NHL. The fact that his own players and prospects in Providence are fed up with him stringing them along and demanding trade requests are proof of this. Sweeney is in way over his god damn head and has no idea what he's doing with regards to team building other than "let's bring back the band again for one more run". At the rate the Bruins are going, they are running themselves into the ground and will crater like the Red Wings under Ken Holland unless they blow out Neely and Sweeney.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Truth being told he's also pretty good at his job. Has warts like all GM but overall this team is always in the thick of it.
He inherited a tremendous core entering their prime. He hasn’t done much to maintain that, in fact with his historically bad drafting (cough 2015) and awful UFA signings, he’s basically set us up for some lottery years here once Bergeron hangs them up. The cupboard is bare, that’s basically his entire job.

can’t think of an example of a GM that has been this bad but benefited so much from an inherited team.

Reactions: TCB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad