Boston Bruins Bruins Garbage Bag Day - Team was more banged up than we feared

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

It's hard to feel bad for someone's who's made $50+ million in their career. That being said, he's a great person, a great leader, and he deserves to win a Cup in his career. Unfortunately, his body just couldn't hold up.

The team would love to trade him, and I'm sure he would consider a move, but I have a feeling he's going to be spending next year in Providence. It will be too expensive to trade him, and they'll save more money with him in Providence than if they just bought him out. He doesn't deserve to end his career in the AHL, but there have been plenty of long-term NHL players who have gotten stuck there for cap reasons.

Reactions: Strafer

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
Closing out this season I would only say we allow some time for healing the start of next season. Make sure to stay in the playoff race, but don't worry about where they finish in the standings. Let's let the bodies heal through the fall. No China trip next year so no need to rush anyone back. Use October and November to work some kids in the lineup every night, use the depth on D to heal the wounds.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Reports are now coming out that Joe Haggerty suffered a sprain to his right elbow eating hot dogs in the Columbus series, but courageously continued to eat stadium food throughout the finals
You can laugh all you want, but do you know the full story? Just at the point Haggs was going to dip perilously close to a sub 5,000 calorie intake day, I have it on good authority that Jimmy Thin Skins stepped up and was actually hand feeding the Haggsman. I will not laugh at that kind of team commitment and brotherhood. It’s not right.

Reactions: BMC and Spooner st

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I look at the injuries and I question the lineup decisions for game 7 a little bit. I wish they had used the depth even more. I love Acciari, but if he's not near 100 percent, he's not going to do much for you. Makes it even a little more crushing for Backes knowing that they put in a guy that banged up over him.

That I read several times.
So it was okay for game 6, but not for game 7?

That shows that you guys don't have a problem with the line-up, but with the result.
Noone would be complaining now had the Bruins won game 7.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
When people look back on this playoff run, there will be a lot of focus on what some consider not enough from Pasta and Marchand. Look at the injuries these two played through, they just couldn't be as impactful as we at home thought they could be.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
When people look back on this playoff run, there will be a lot of focus on what some consider not enough from Pasta and Marchand. Look at the injuries these two played through, they just couldn't be as impactful as we at home thought they could be.

I was nasty towards them, and feel like a douche after reading what all three were playing with. This is why you don't run out and trade them though. It's not like they just sucked. They had legitimate reasons for not playing well.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I was nasty towards them, and feel like a *****e after reading what all three were playing with. This is why you don't run out and trade them though. It's not like they just sucked. They had legitimate reasons for not playing well.

Yup, I try not to toss judgement on players after a playoff run until we know more about what they were playing through.

Some now will point to O'Reilly playing well with cracked ribs. Well not every injury is equal and if he can play solid with cracked ribs, good for him, has nothing to do with what other players are playing through.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Also, Debrusk playing with a concussion is ridiculous. That's against concussion protocol and the Bruins should be appropriately fined for that.
Where is the evidence of this?? I dont believe it for 1 second. The only thing I have seen is a tweet by some nobody saying Debrusk wouldn't elaborate on what was ailing him and in the same tweet speculating that it may have been concussion from 1st round. Bruins are very cautious with concussions and I doubt very strongly that they would have allowed him to play if they had any inkling that he was suffering concussion symptoms.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I’m concerned about the bruins overall conditioning, they seem to endure more injuries than average and it’s been a trend the past few years
Virtually none of these injuries are related to conditioning. It is a very tough sport. Obviously the longer you play in the playoffs the more injuries you will pile up

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
That I read several times.
So it was okay for game 6, but not for game 7?

That shows that you guys don't have a problem with the line-up, but with the result.
Noone would be complaining now had the Bruins won game 7.

Of course it is the result that drives conversations. But now there is also information available and things to wonder about. Game 7 isn't the only game that they lost. It's something I'm curious about now that the information is available and they lost 3 of their last 4 games. There really isn't much complaint from me (I stated that it was a question), but I'm interested in the Backes situation and this informs on that a little bit.

The fact that they would roll 55 out there in that condition over his 12th/13th forward RW counterpart in Backes is even more damnation of Backes in the eyes of the coaching staff. That he wasn't good enough to play over an injured Acciari. This bit of information hammers it home further to me that Backes will never play here again. I didn't find Backes to be THAT bad, but I guess they did.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Yup, I try not to toss judgement on players after a playoff run until we know more about what they were playing through.

Some now will point to O'Reilly playing well with cracked ribs. Well not every injury is equal and if he can play solid with cracked ribs, good for him, has nothing to do with what other players are playing through.

I was going to bring up Ryan O’Reilly in response to your previous post, but you already did. Although it’s true that not all injuries are equal, what ROR accomplished is very impressive. If Marchand’s wrist injury was so bad, then it sure didn’t look like it in game 6 with that snipe, and injuries can’t be used as an excuse for the multiple instances of poor judgment and poor play by him and Pastrnak, for example.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I was going to bring up Ryan O’Reilly in response to your previous post, but you already did. Although it’s true that not all injuries are equal, what ROR accomplished is very impressive. If Marchand’s wrist injury was so bad, then it sure didn’t look like it in game 6 with that snipe, and injuries can’t be used as an excuse for the multiple instances of poor judgment and poor play by him and Pastrnak, for example.

What O'Reilly did was impressive, credit to him. But mutually exclusive when considering the injuries of other players as every injury is different.

The poor decision-making we can analyze all day long. Every player makes poor decisions with the puck. I thought Pasta at times tried to force things instead of just relying on his instincts which are top-notch. Marchand was became far too much a pass-first player, but considering his wrist injury, if he's lacking confidence in his shooting he's going to look pass-first more often. Just because he got off that one-timer in Game 6 doesn't mean his wrist wasn't an issue. Heck for all we know he might of aggravated the wrist more taking that shot.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I was nasty towards them, and feel like a *****e after reading what all three were playing with. This is why you don't run out and trade them though. It's not like they just sucked. They had legitimate reasons for not playing well.
This is not directed at you.
But every single year people complaint about the players performance in the playoffs. knowing a few days later the injury list comes out.

It was obvious the top 6 wasn't right.

IafratesEmptyNetGoal

Jul 30, 2005

O'Reilly has felt like one of the few players that has been able to shutdown Bergeron in regular season games the last few seasons to me. I believe he also hurt his ribs early in the playoffs and even admitted that he was feeling a lot better in the finals than when the injury happened which correlates with his improved offense this round. He wasn't putting up points when the pain was at his worst, and props to him for playing through that to help get his team to the finals. No one on the Blues played a soft game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad