GDT: Bruins @ Gambrell-less Sharks 7pm

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
MAF has played almost 100 more playoff games than Jones, and you guys compare stats? 3 rings and a proven winner. Almost did it with an expansion team last year. We are trickling in the playoffs with a starter that has a SP under .900, and a GAA near 3.00. Jones and superior in the same sentence is laughable.

Three rings is blatantly misleading when it comes to Fleury. One ring includes two starts in the playoffs. The other ring involved starting 15 games and having Murray get 10 starts and none of Fleury's starts were in the Finals. Fleury legitimately backed one Cup winning team back in 2009. He's been a mixed bag ever since. He's capable of playing very well in the playoffs and capable of playing very pedestrian as well.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
MAF has played almost 100 more playoff games than Jones, and you guys compare stats? 3 rings and a proven winner. Almost did it with an expansion team last year. We are trickling in the playoffs with a starter that has a SP under .900, and a GAA near 3.00. Jones and superior in the same sentence is laughable.

Martin Jones would have won 3 straight rings if he played his last 3 seasons behind the 2009, 2016, and 2017 Pittsburgh teams of the last 3 seasons.

Jones’ regular season performance this year is the norm for almost every single one of Fleury’s regular season and playoff performances, in between 2009 and 2017.

I still think Fleury would outplay Jones if they met in the playoffs today, just like he did last year, but let’s not pretend Fleury hasn’t had a history of meltdowns.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
The NHL needs to fix its rule book because the optics of last night were terrible.

You can’t have an offside challenge that can go back to a zone entry that happened a minute prior but not review a likely high stick batting the puck to the goal line and then to be shoveled in by the same player.

That’s completely incongruent.

The second piece is the net off rule. In 5v5 sure the rule makes a lot more sense because it’s much less likely that you are going to have a breakaway. In 3v3 the rule is rubbish because if you rush up the ice and make a mistake it almost always leads to an odd man chance.

Again rule makes some semblance of sense in 5 v 5. Makes no sense 3v3.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Hard to argue against that, but if Jones' has meltdown seasons like MAF, then this is his year beyond any certainty of doubt. So, it's likely no SCF appearance until Jones turns it around.

In Jones defense, he did have One stellar season which was the 2015/16 season in his entire NHL career.: .932SV% in the SCF, and .923SV% for the playoffs, and a .918SV% for the season. He only had one sub-par month that season (under .900) which was November.

Completely different season now.

With Thornton, probably the guy with the most worn down wheels in the NHL, playing his heart out and giving it his all, it's too bad that Vlasic and Jones cannot bring themselves to play just their average level. Instead, they seem bent on shitting in their bed with sub-par performance.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The second piece is the net off rule. In 5v5 sure the rule makes a lot more sense because it’s much less likely that you are going to have a breakaway. In 3v3 the rule is rubbish because if you rush up the ice and make a mistake it almost always leads to an odd man chance.

Again rule makes some semblance of sense in 5 v 5. Makes no sense 3v3.
I have had this issue with the net off rule since forever. It literally makes no sense. Its either a delay of game penalty for doing it on purpose or play should be blown dead resulting in either a neutral zone faceoff or an offensive zone faceoff depending on how the net was dislodged. Allowing the game to continue when you cant actually play the game is completely stupid.

Reactions: Phu

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
It would've been nice if Couture didn't overcommit to Krejci and played the trailer too but whatever. They got a point when they maybe deserved less and/or more. Just move on to Pittsburgh on Thursday.
We out shot them 38-20 and absolutely caved them in after a slow first 15 mins. We overcame Jones 700 save percentage and twice as many penalty mins. We deserved the win imo.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The absolutely idiotic thing is that if the refs were going to blow down the play as soon as a Shark came into Boston’s zone, why not just blow it as soon as the net came off? Boston gets rewarded for pushing Kane into the net because from that point until the inevitable whistle the only team who can score is Boston. I’m over the high stick. It’s this BS I’m not over.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We out shot them 38-20 and absolutely caved them in after a slow first 15 mins. We overcame Jones 700 save percentage and twice as many penalty mins. We deserved the win imo.

There is certainly a case to be made for that but this happens sometimes and you can make a case they didn't deserve a point either given how the first 15 minutes were. That whole you can't win a game in the 1st period but you can certainly lose a game in the 1st thing. I'm glad they fought back and got a point. I like their resolve even with some of their flaws. I just don't want this to stick with the team nor the mentality. There are a lot of things, including the goaltending, that has been trending in the right direction since the All-Star break. One can expect a hiccup here and there but I hope they get back to what was working very well for them. Very sound defensive play, decisive decisions with the puck with very few turnovers, and very limited odd-man breaks against.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The absolutely idiotic thing is that if the refs were going to blow down the play as soon as a Shark came into Boston’s zone, why not just blow it as soon as the net came off? Boston gets rewarded for pushing Kane into the net because from that point until the inevitable whistle the only team who can score is Boston. I’m over the high stick. It’s this BS I’m not over.

I was laughing so hard, because my wife isn't THAT into hockey, she watches sometimes, but she's not really a huge fan or anything. Anyway, she was watching when that happened and she goes "THAT IS F'ING BULL****!!!! WTF WAS THAT?!?!?"

I've literally never seen her do that lol.

LA Shark

Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
There is certainly a case to be made for that but this happens sometimes and you can make a case they didn't deserve a point either given how the first 15 minutes were. That whole you can't win a game in the 1st period but you can certainly lose a game in the 1st thing. I'm glad they fought back and got a point. I like their resolve even with some of their flaws. I just don't want this to stick with the team nor the mentality. There are a lot of things, including the goaltending, that has been trending in the right direction since the All-Star break. One can expect a hiccup here and there but I hope they get back to what was working very well for them. Very sound defensive play, decisive decisions with the puck with very few turnovers, and very limited odd-man breaks against.
I'm not worried about this loss sticking with them at all. They are a veteran group, if anything I think it could just light a fire under their ass. Kinda like the Pats us against the world attitude this year. Really outside of the 1st period we absolutely dominated a top 10 team in the league.

LA Shark

Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Let's not forget about Boston not getting an instigator penalty for forcing Braun to fight, and Chara not getting a penalty for a clear interference right in front of the ref, which was also a cross check to Pavs face. Or all the BS teams get away with on Kane. Sure he dishes it out as well, but he ALWAYS gets called for it, but never draws the penalty.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

I'm still not happy about the high stick or Jones' play. I can live with the OT nonsense since it's in the rulebook and Boston likely played really aggressively since they knew the play would be blown dead when they lost possession. So probably no 2-0 if the net wasn't dislodged.
Agree with PattyLafontaine above how it's a dumb rule, especially 3-on-3 though.

Off-topic unrelated to this game, but I still think teams shouldn't be allowed to dump the puck backwards during 3-on-3 either. It's counterintuitive to the reason they made OT 3-on-3.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Another sign that the reffing was just off was the way they bungled the Couture PS incident.

RE: Jones...one very positive thing I will note is how it never seems like he has lost trust in the guys in front of them. That seems like a very bad thing when the team isn't up to par defensively and Jones isn't factoring that in, but in the main, I think this is a good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad