GDT: Bruins @ Flyers | Oct. 1, 2016 | Preseason

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The good thing with Laughton, is we have options. We can send him down if we need or want to. Expansion is next year. He could be claimed, or not, or even protected based in his play this year.

It will be a big year in determining his future with the club with Konecny, Lindblom, NAK, Leier on the way. Even now, if Konecny makes it, Raffl could take his place and Laughton could be on the outside looking in.

Time to step it up.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The fact there is a very real possibility Scott Laughton could start the season in the AHL shows us just how far the team has came under Hextall...

A guy with his speed and shot who paced for over 25 points last season and while not doing anything special pretty much proved he was a decent 3rd liner last year... yet he may be AHL bound.

The organisation is just getting so, so deep with solid hockey players.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The fact there is a very real possibility Scott Laughton could start the season in the AHL shows us just how far the team has came under Hextall...

A guy with his speed and shot who paced for over 25 points last season and while not doing anything special pretty much proved he was a decent 3rd liner last year... yet he may be AHL bound.

The organisation is just getting so, so deep with solid hockey players.

Especially when you think that 2 years ago, he was our #2C....and he is better today than he was then.

FlyerFan22

Dec 22, 2015
Philadelphia
Was at the game last night. They played well. Sat right over the Zamboni tunnel. Really want to see a replay of the shot off the cross bar.

Weal played well by my eye. Hustling on most shifts and being aggressive. Was it enough, I don't think so but you could tell he was working for a job.

Konecny, he had good moments last night (some nice passing plays) but lost the puck a few times (unlucky really) and was easily pushed off the puck most of the game. I don't think going back to Jr would be helpful, but I don't think it will be a smooth transition in the big leagues. I think he needs to bulk up a bit to fend off the opposition.

Gordon played well. Had to laugh at his faceoff style.

Lyubimov is speedy, looked like he really was pushing to get the job. Had a lot of hustle in his game. Seems like a good pick up at the moment.

Laughton I thought played decently but expected more.

Provorov made good decisions and did shoot a bunch but missed a lot.

MacDonald played well.

FlyerFan22

Dec 22, 2015
Philadelphia
Thanks.
Forgot to mention. Myers played really well. Stood his ground and had a few good breakouts. Sanheim, was saying to myself a few times, he has one heck of a reach and he uses it to his advantage.
I was glad to go with the family. Kids enjoyed themselves and got to see the new kids play. Now if there was something to be done about the slightly foul mouthed Bruins fans behind us, but I guess that is the danger of going to the stadium.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, first hand impressions are always nice to see. What's funny about Gordon's faceoffs?

If Konecny makes the team I don't think playing every night with Couturier would be the best way to use him. Give him 55% OZ starts, not 45%.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Was at the game last night. They played well. Sat right over the Zamboni tunnel. Really want to see a replay of the shot off the cross bar.

Weal played well by my eye. Hustling on most shifts and being aggressive. Was it enough, I don't think so but you could tell he was working for a job.

Konecny, he had good moments last night (some nice passing plays) but lost the puck a few times (unlucky really) and was easily pushed off the puck most of the game. I don't think going back to Jr would be helpful, but I don't think it will be a smooth transition in the big leagues. I think he needs to bulk up a bit to fend off the opposition.

Gordon played well. Had to laugh at his faceoff style.

Lyubimov is speedy, looked like he really was pushing to get the job. Had a lot of hustle in his game. Seems like a good pick up at the moment.

Laughton I thought played decently but expected more.

Provorov made good decisions and did shoot a bunch but missed a lot.

MacDonald played well.

Thank you for this!! :)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, first hand impressions are always nice to see. What's funny about Gordon's faceoffs?

If Konecny makes the team I don't think playing every night with Couturier would be the best way to use him. Give him 55% OZ starts, not 45%.

Maybe its time to roll back Couturier's dzone starts and start giving some more to Gordon and Cousins.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe its time to roll back Couturier's dzone starts and start giving some more to Gordon and Cousins.

Gordon, sure, but Cousins isn't really cut out for that role. I think 45% is fine for a guy like Coots who is your best defensive forward. Berube had him down at 40%, which was ludicrous. The solution could be as simple as swapping Schenn and Konecny.

Konecny-Giroux-Simmonds
Schenn-Couturier-Voracek

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...-things-we-learned-from-an-eventful-preseason

Worth reading the whole article, but this stood out to me:

#9: Scott Laughton disappointing in games

Laughton improved dramatically in 2015-16 from an on-ice statistical performance standpoint when he was shifted over to left wing in February. This summer, I theorized that his skillset fits better on the wing, and the Flyers seem to agree, as he kicked off camp exclusively playing there. Unfortunately, in preseason games, we haven't seen the same exciting winger from the latter part of last season. In fact, out of the players battling for a role on the third line (Cousins, Weise, Read, Laughton), the 2012 first round pick has been the least impressive to my eyes.

Laughton's 47.62% Corsi For percentage was the lowest among forwards last night, and again, the eyes backed up the stats. His speed in particular has not been apparent thus far. I doubt it's a physical ailment that is slowing Laughton, and more a lack of decisiveness on the ice that could be causing Laughton's general ineffectiveness.

At the start of camp, it was difficult to imagine Scott Laughton not making the team, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility now. After all, Laughton is waiver-exempt, so the Flyers do not risk losing him to another team if they assign him to the AHL. In addition, if Travis Konecny makes the team, that turns the third line competition into a five-man race, rather than a four-man one. Let's say the third line becomes Raffl-Cousins-Weise, and Read moves down to the fourth line -- what happens to Laughton? Is he the 13th forward? Or do the Flyers take advantage of his waiver-exempt status and remove him from the roster entirely?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I agree, if you can't come in and stand out against guys that "shouldn't" be in your realm, they need to utilize their pieces.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gordon, sure, but Cousins isn't really cut out for that role. I think 45% is fine for a guy like Coots who is your best defensive forward. Berube had him down at 40%, which was ludicrous. The solution could be as simple as swapping Schenn and Konecny.

Konecny-Giroux-Simmonds
Schenn-Couturier-Voracek

I actually like those lines better.

That way, each line has 2 guys that are good at carrying the puck....while Simmonds and Schenn are the net guys.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I actually like those lines better.

That way, each line has 2 guys that are good at carrying the puck....while Simmonds and Schenn are the net guys.

What would the forward lines look like without Schenn and Laughton? That could be the situation over the first 3 games.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I attended the Boston game Saturday.

Some quick observations:

Konecny looked perfectly fine on his off wing and was one of the best players on the ice yet again. He's extremely quick; never stops moving; and also reads the play several steps ahead. He needs to be on the team.

Couturier was terrific.

Voracek has regained the speed he lost last season, thank God. Clearly in much better physical condition.

Laughton, as has been mentioned, was invisible. He just doesn't seem to do anything out there.

Cousins was average. Weal replaced him on the top line after the first period. He's better than Laughton, but he's a half step slow, especially at his small stature, which seems to impede his effectiveness.

Provorov had a mediocre first period, but was mostly excellent the rest of the game. However, he and Ghost were responsible for one of Boston's goals due to some pretty poor defense.

Ghost looked like he was just going through the motions, which is rare for him.

Myers had a really good first period and then was rarely noticeable. However, he looks like a heck of a prospect -- tremendous skater, good size, handles the puck well.

Sanheim started slowly, but got better as the game progressed. The AHL will be good for him -- I'm not sure he's a naturally confident player and the acclimation to the pro game via the minors should help.

Lyubimov is pretty fast, but not wow fast. I'm not sure he starts on the NHL roster. I think some fans want to see him because he's a new, unknown name, but I didn't see enough out of him to prove he can displace an existing roster player.

Colin McDonald remains underrated in my view as potentially winning a 4th line job over guys like Vandevelde and Lyubimov.

Neuvirth wasn't at his sharpest.

Andrew MacDonald was pretty good. He seems to excel playing against watered-down competition.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I've been a person that's liked Laughton for a long time but he seems to have somehow regressed. Barely using the speed we know that he has and has done almost next to nothing. I was expecting him to be a Richards-lite for a long while, but he hasn't shown that yet.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I attended the Boston game Saturday.

Some quick observations:

Konecny looked perfectly fine on his off wing and was one of the best players on the ice yet again. He's extremely quick; never stops moving; and also reads the play several steps ahead. He needs to be on the team.

Couturier was terrific.

Voracek has regained the speed he lost last season, thank God. Clearly in much better physical condition.

Laughton, as has been mentioned, was invisible. He just doesn't seem to do anything out there.

Cousins was average. Weal replaced him on the top line after the first period. He's better than Laughton, but he's a half step slow, especially at his small stature, which seems to impede his effectiveness.

Provorov had a mediocre first period, but was mostly excellent the rest of the game. However, he and Ghost were responsible for one of Boston's goals due to some pretty poor defense.

Ghost looked like he was just going through the motions, which is rare for him.

Myers had a really good first period and then was rarely noticeable. However, he looks like a heck of a prospect -- tremendous skater, good size, handles the puck well.

Sanheim started slowly, but got better as the game progressed. The AHL will be good for him -- I'm not sure he's a naturally confident player and the acclimation to the pro game via the minors should help.

Lyubimov is pretty fast, but not wow fast. I'm not sure he starts on the NHL roster. I think some fans want to see him because he's a new, unknown name, but I didn't see enough out of him to prove he can displace an existing roster player.

Colin McDonald remains underrated in my view as potentially winning a 4th line job over guys like Vandevelde and Lyubimov.

Neuvirth wasn't at his sharpest.

Andrew MacDonald was pretty good. He seems to excel playing against watered-down competition.

I hope he gets it now and that this won't be an ongoing trend of "I'm good now, can take it easy in the summer. oh **** I'm bad now I better work out in the summer. I'm good now, I can...etc."

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I hope he gets it now and that this won't be an ongoing trend of "I'm good now, can take it easy in the summer. oh **** I'm bad now I better work out in the summer. I'm good now, I can...etc."

For real... Love the guy, but I don't get how this is a problem for him. He's a professional athlete ffs

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't really buy the argument that Voracek had a poor season last year because he was out of shape. He was just snake bitten for the first six weeks, and then he lost confidence and started pressing.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't really buy the argument that Voracek had a poor season last year because he was out of shape. He was just snake bitten for the first six weeks, and then he lost confidence and started pressing.

He wasn't doing as good a job in physical battles to start the season.

It's hard to gauge speed, because a lack of confidence and second guessing yourself can make you look slower than you are. But he was getting knocked off the puck a lot.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I've been a person that's liked Laughton for a long time but he seems to have somehow regressed. Barely using the speed we know that he has and has done almost next to nothing. I was expecting him to be a Richards-lite for a long while, but he hasn't shown that yet.

I've said this, and it seemed like after that niskanen hit he is NOT the player he once was, he doesn't even seem like he's going full speed anymore, to me he really seems to play as if he is scared

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well he was going pretty fast when he got smashed into the boards in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad