GDT: Bruins @ Flyers | Oct. 1, 2016 | Preseason

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Lyubimov not being a regular on the team would be a mistake, in my opinion. Seems like he could be one part of a fourth line as good as any since the Lappy-Betts-Powe line of old and that he can move up to the third in an injury pinch. VDV should be going before anybody else based purely on a combination of potential and merit and I'd much rather see a guy like Read or, if he doesn't show improvement, Laughton scratched based on what I'm seeing so far.

Regardless, I imagine a lot of these forward slotting issues are going to be decided by the games Schenn is suspended for. That opens up a valuable spot, which I wouldn't be surprised to see Konecny be tested out in before making a final decision with him. Also gives a chance to see how Lyubimov does in actual NHL action.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I hope we go into the season with something like:

Schenn -- Giroux -- Simmonds
Konecny -- Couturier -- Voracek
Raffl -- Cousins -- Weise
Bellemare -- Gordon -- Lyubimov
Laughton (though if scratched he is likely in AHL... and VdV is then 13th man)

Del Zotto -- Gostisbehere
Provorov -- Gudas
Schultz -- Streit
MacDonald -- Manning

Mason
Neuvirth

Read traded for a pick.
VdV down to LHV.

However, more realistically it is likely:

Raffl -- Couturier -- Voracek
Laughton -- Cousins -- Weise
Bellemare -- Gordon -- Read
VandeVelde

Provorov -- Gudas
Schultz -- Streit
MacDonald -- Manning

Mason
Neuvirth

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I do find it interesting that they anointed Patrick the C, if Provorov was returning, you'd think they'd want him to be the guy, he's older, just won the best D-man in the CHL, so leads by example, clearly well respected by the team.

I don' want to look to much into it, this kid is supposed to be the Top pick, so he's pretty damn good.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hope we go into the season with something like:

Konecny -- Couturier -- Voracek
Raffl -- Cousins -- Weise
Bellemare -- Gordon -- Lyubimov
Laughton (though if scratched he is likely in AHL... and VdV is then 13th man)

Provorov -- Gudas
Schultz -- Streit
MacDonald -- Manning

Mason
Neuvirth

Read traded for a pick.
VdV down to LHV.

However, more realistically it is likely:

Raffl -- Couturier -- Voracek
Laughton -- Cousins -- Weise
Bellemare -- Gordon -- Read
VandeVelde

Provorov -- Gudas
Schultz -- Streit
MacDonald -- Manning

Mason
Neuvirth

They will have to bring an extra forward on the opening road trip. Schenn being suspended gives them a 24th roster spot.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Since I obviously didn't see it, that Provorov pass to Weal is just stupid. I'm not anybody other than Ghost can make that pass. Even MDZ/Gudas.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
That provorov pass to weal was just ridiculous. Kid is something special. Man what a treat it's going to be to watch a defense that can move the puck with ease. I still have nightmares remembering nik Grossmann and his patented chip it off the glass breakout even if the other 4 guys on the team are open.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The attitude towards Laughton reminds me of the attitude towards Schenn not so long ago.

Flashes of great play surrounded by periods of inconsistency. You can tell that the skill is there and if he could be more consistent he could be a pretty good player.

Schenn was better at the start of his career, but he also had a ton more hype and higher expectations.

Just be patient with Laughton, maybe he can become more consistent as he gets older, like Schenn has.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The attitude towards Laughton reminds me of the attitude towards Schenn not so long ago.

Flashes of great play surrounded by periods of inconsistency. You can tell that the skill is there and if he could be more consistent he could be a pretty good player.

Schenn was better at the start of his career, but he also had a ton more hype and higher expectations.

Just be patient with Laughton, maybe he can become more consistent as he gets older, like Schenn has.

Laughton hasn't shown much. There have been glimpses of a player with a nice shot sporadically. But a lot of what made him an intriguing prospect, his tenacity, defensive play, leadership, etc hasn't shown up at the NHL level at all. The most dissapointing thing about Laughton is that he doesn't look engaged nearly enough.

cali101

Nov 23, 2014
Your second post defending Weal.

Konecny is twice the player Weal is, regardless of who made what mistakes last night in a preason game.

i followed weal when he was with kings so i was checking out how he was doing on your camp. he's a great player and won only calder cup kings have, getting butterfield trophy. don't really know konecny from jonah but what i do know? he is a kid of 19 and i dont think he played even in american hockey league. a couple games can't say long term how he'll make out this level.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i followed weal when he was with kings so i was checking out how he was doing on your camp. he's a great player and won only calder cup kings have, getting butterfield trophy. don't really know konecny from jonah but what i do know? he is a kid of 19 and i dont think he played even in american hockey league. a couple games can't say long term how he'll make out this level.

Let me see if I can decipher this..

You're not a Flyers fan.

You're a Kings fan that is fond of Jordan Weal because of well he played in the AHL.

You don't know who Travis Konecny is, a 2015 1st round pick, the Flyers organizations top forward prospect, and the player just voted as the 3rd best forward in Juniors by the Coaches behind only Dylan Strome and Mitch Marner; both of whom were top 5 picks in the 2015 NHL Draft.

You're not sure if the aforementioned Konecny, will cut it at the NHL level because he hasn't played in the American Hockey League, which is ineligble to do so because he is not yet 20 years old.

Did I get all of that correct?

:amazed:

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Weal has had one good preseason game it was yesterday. Other than that he was terrible. He is too small and gets pushed off the puck way too easily. He also isn't a great skater either.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Let me see if I can decipher this..

You're not a Flyers fan.

You're a Kings fan that is fond of Jordan Weal because of well he played in the AHL.

You don't know who Travis Konecny is, a 2015 1st round pick, the Flyers organizations top forward prospect, and the player just voted as the 3rd best forward in Juniors by the Coaches behind only Dylan Strome and Mitch Marner; both of whom were top 5 picks in the 2015 NHL Draft.

You're not sure if the aforementioned Konecny, will cut it at the NHL level because he hasn't played in the American Hockey League, which is ineligble to do so because he is not yet 20 years old.

Did I get all of that correct?

:amazed:

It's the boxcar version for Jordan Weal

cali101

Nov 23, 2014
yes, a kings fan interloping
weal didn't get barely any TOI with kings (they prefer bigger guys as you may know) so not much to go on other than AHL but he played great there and very good last couple games with flyers from what i can tell of stats etc i did know about konecny's draft round but i don't know enough about him to say what you said (i.e., he's a way better player than weal) i do know he has no pro experience so who can say how he'll cut it at NHL level? to me it's too soon to tell with just a couple games. i'm not much for seeing people hyped; i prefer a patient approach.

cali101

Nov 23, 2014
Weal has had one good preseason game it was yesterday. Other than that he was terrible. He is too small and gets pushed off the puck way too easily. He also isn't a great skater either.

previous game he had assist and was 6 of 8 in the circle. that's not terrible imo, but i didn't see game, just going by statistics.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Laughton hasn't shown much. There have been glimpses of a player with a nice shot sporadically. But a lot of what made him an intriguing prospect, his tenacity, defensive play, leadership, etc hasn't shown up at the NHL level at all. The most dissapointing thing about Laughton is that he doesn't look engaged nearly enough.

It doesn't even seem like it's an intensity or effort thing. He just always seems to be confused on where to be on the ice and what to do to make his impact felt. It's not easy to have his skating and shooting ability, not to mention the defense/grit he was hyped for but has failed to evidence itself, and look completely invisible on the ice shift after shift. If he's in danger of being squeezed out of the roster now, imagine what it's going to be like when Lindblom probably makes the team next year. He has got to show some more soon, and it's not about points.

Flyers might just be better off sticking him in the AHL for the season, if Konecny is on the team.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

He's shown that he has a very nice shot and lots of speed.

Look at these highlights from last year. The skill is there, it's just consistency that's the issue.

I say we wait, like we did with Schenn, and hope that maturity and experience can make him show things like those highlights more often. And maybe the move to wing will help him like it did Schenn. Give him less to worry about so he can just focus on offense. It might mean he becomes a different type of player than what we thought we drafted, but that doesn't have to be a negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad