Bruins fire GM Peter Chiarelli

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Idk how Oilers' fans don't get sick to their stomach.

Boston has ONE bad season and their GM is gone.

Meanwhile, MaCTavish is sitting comfortable.

Although on the other hand, MacTavish has never been in control of a playoff team and then proceeded to ruin it.

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
I feel sorry for Oiler fans. Bruins went from Presidents Trophy to no playoffs and fire their GM and MacTavish on the other hand already wrote off next season as a "development year" and is not going to be fired any time soon.

OTOH if this gives Neely more power and he goes all grit, heart, meat and potatoes, the Bruins front office could end up looking like a 90s Bruins alumni, like the 80s one in Edmonton (speculation)

I guess the difference is that Boston ownership won't let them fail for ten straight years

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Stanley Cup win, SC runner up, and President's trophy win in 2011, 2013, and 2014 respectively.

Ownership must be pissed about the Seguin trade is my guess.

And essentially trading Boychuk for Connolly (Boychuck for 2 2nds and a 3rd, Connolly for 2 2nds). Cap mismanagement, all sorts of things. I think this is the right move.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Julien wont be fired. One down year after several years on top of the standings, deep playoff runs, 2 cup appearances, their first cup in 40 yrs. he'll get a second chance but next year hes under the microscope/can be fired midseason if it continues

He may get a second chance if they hire a GM within the organiztion (Don Sweeny) but if they go outside, he is gone, and he should have been the first to go.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Keep in mind this was a organizational decision, not one Chia made on his own. He stated at the time it would cost them the following year, but worth the risk, he knew and so did those above him in the organization which supported the move.
I care less about whose fault the trade was and more the rationale behind it. You're making the playoffs with or without Iggy. He's not good enough at this stage of his career to be a make or break acquisition. You can get an equivalent scorers at the deadline, and will have more recent information about the needs of your team.

Although I remember seeing something about the Savard LTIR contract ****ing with how the Bruins could accrue cap space, making it so that they actually couldn't get someone like Gaborik at a pro-rated cap hit like LA did. Is there truth to this?

Slopo

Nov 3, 2011
Of all the days to announce this, the Bruins could not have picked a better day....will get buried.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
They showed on Behind the B why Seguin was traded. He didn't do what they wanted him to do, I remember the segement. Boychuk was traded for cap reasons. Iginla was a FA and walked. Mezaros? That's a bad thing that he left?

So let me break this down as a Bs fan because I totally get why it doesn't seem right from the outside.

Seguin - complete disaster. You simply do not trade a 20 year old exceptional talent because he got a little boozy and struggled in the playoffs. And you especially do not trade him for a 27 year old winger. Don't get me wrong, I love Loui. One of my favorite guys on the team. But in comparison to franchise talent? Now obviously Cam and other agreed to the Seguin trade but Chiarelli conducted it. There is really no defending that trade.

Boychuk - after Chara easily our best defensemen. Now here's the fun part: Chris Kelly - 3 million. Greg Campbell, Matt Bartkowski and Dan Paille - 1.5 million. The last three were all healthy scratches multiple times and Kelly had a whopping 28 points and no goals since like February. Kelly also has a full NTC. So his awful contract to Kelly and decision to keep our useless fourth liners forced us to trade Boychuk for cap space. I 100% believe we make the playoffs with Johnny - not doubt in my mind. In a vaccuum 2 2nds is good value but in the context of our team? Awful.

Mezaros - I'm not mad he left I'm mad he was our replacement for Seidenberg. Chiarelli cap strapped this team to give us a real cup-chance last year. It sucks that Seids went down but the fact is we needed a reliable #4 for the playoffs and Chiarelli failed to do anything. I also believe we squeak past the Habs with a more reliable #4: Bart and Mezsaros do not count.

This season - Iggy walked for nothing, I already went over Boychuk. A team that already wasn't good enough to win got weaker and still had no cap space. Not to mention we lost a huge amount of locker room leadership in Thornton, Iggy and Johnny. And what happens? Chiarelli gets no defensive for our brutal blue line for the playoffs and we essentially traded Boychuk for Connolly (I did like the Connolly deal though, for what it's worth).

Basically Chiarelli had no clue what to do with his team after 2013 and now we're here.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Idk how Oilers' fans don't get sick to their stomach.

Boston has ONE bad season and their GM is gone.

Meanwhile, MaCTavish is sitting comfortable.

We do get sick, trust me.

Would take Chiarelli in a heartbeat but Katz is too concerned about hurting his pal's feelings.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
It's not just about one bad season IMO. It's about last seasons moves too. Chia went all in with last season's cap overage laden Iginla contract and the b's couldn't even make round 3, so now he's busted out.

Bruins seemed to me lacking in identity a lot this year too with the roster Chia put together.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
The guy fell ass-backwards into a highway robbery with the Kessel deal, then ruined it by making an even worse, arguably even more franchise-crippling trade sending Seguin to Dallas.

Compound that with some pretty bad asset and cap management, and yeah.... I really hope the Leafs' interest is somewhere around negative nine thousand.

It'll be interesting to see what direction the Bruins go in now, though, especially with all the Lucic rumours. Looks like the days of the 'big bad B's' and diminishing speed and skill in favour of lunch pail grinders could be coming to a close.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I care less about whose fault the trade was and more the rationale behind it. You're making the playoffs with or without Iggy. He's not good enough at this stage of his career to be a make or break acquisition. You can get an equivalent scorers at the deadline, and will have more recent information about the needs of your team.

Although I remember seeing something about the Savard LTIR contract ****ing with how the Bruins could accrue cap space, making it so that they actually couldn't get someone like Gaborik at a pro-rated cap hit like LA did. Is there truth to this?

If they put Savard on LTIR and use the money to go above the cap then they simple are above the cap legally but you can't accrue any cap space if you are above the cap.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Victim of his own success.

Takes a team that was a bit of a mess and turns them into perennial contenders. Wins a cup and almost another. Misses playoffs barely one year (on the last day) and is canned.

I don't understand these kinds of moves. A new GM going in there will know the leash is short so decisions will likely be made of the short sighted nature in order to perserve his own job.

When you have a successful team in a cap era chances are its going to get broken up slowly but surely and you will have down years.

I wonder what the expectations of the new GM wil be? Will he get fired after one year if they regress a bit from this year?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Shero to the Bruins?

If so, they can look forward to a top-6 chock full of midgets and grinders.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
The Ottawa Senators just got their new GM.​

That would be great but I dont see that happening.
It will be someone with ties to either Murray or Melnyk.

OTOH if this gives Neely more power and he goes all grit, heart, meat and potatoes, the Bruins front office could end up looking like a 90s Bruins alumni, like the 80s one in Edmonton (speculation)

I guess the difference is that Boston ownership won't let them fail for ten straight years

I think this is a real danger. This seems like a coup by Neely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad