Bruins fire GM Peter Chiarelli

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I feel sorry for Oiler fans. Bruins went from Presidents Trophy to no playoffs and fire their GM and MacTavish on the other hand already wrote off next season as a "development year" and is not going to be fired any time soon.

Difference is Katz is used to mediocrity and full out sucking while Jacobs has been spoiled with success the last 6 years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I feel sorry for Oiler fans. Bruins went from Presidents Trophy to no playoffs and fire their GM and MacTavish on the other hand already wrote off next season as a "development year" and is not going to be fired any time soon.

Really?

I would love to see a link where he said that. Not saying he didn't say it...I just want to see it...lol.

How about be proactive as a GM and try and fleece a team in a trade to help your team.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
For those of you wondering - look at Chiarelli's resume post-cup. It's absolutely brutal. Seguin, Boychuk, Iggy walks, Mezaros.

His cap mis-management is why we missed the playoffs. Clearly the management doesn't trust him to get himself out of this hole and I agree.

You can't put Seguin trade on Chiarelli. That was definitely a group decision. Neely was just as much a part of Seguin trade as Chiarelli, Julien and ownership.

You don't trade a 20 year old star without conferring with upper management and ownership.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
I'm pretty shocked actually. I think that might be a bit of a mistake. Why are Bruin fans so happy about his dismissal? It feels like just yesterday some were calling him one of the GMs in the league.

Seguin and Boychuk were absolutely terrible moves.

Him trying to trade Spooner and a 2nd for Stewart reinforces he has no concept for value in the NHL.

Hopefully Connolly turns into something but I think that was an overpayment.

Looking bad at the good trades he made they honestly just seem like he got lucky. He said himself he was expecting those Toronto picks to be mid first round. Which again would've made the Kessel trade horrible value.

I just don't trust this guy making moves in the future. Even if his ideas are good he's going to overpay or undersell.

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
I'm pretty shocked actually. I think that might be a bit of a mistake. Why are Bruin fans so happy about his dismissal? It feels like just yesterday some were calling him one of the GMs in the league.

You obviously haven't been keeping up with the Bruins cap situation the last year and half. Chiarelli completed bungled it, due to sheer mismanagement and overpayment of bottom of the roster players

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
For those of you wondering - look at Chiarelli's resume post-cup. It's absolutely brutal. Seguin, Boychuk, Iggy walks, Mezaros.

They showed on Behind the B why Seguin was traded. He didn't do what they wanted him to do, I remember the segement. Boychuk was traded for cap reasons. Iginla was a FA and walked. Mezaros? That's a bad thing that he left?

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
As a B's fan I don't support this, but I know a majority of our fanbase has been calling for his head. We'll see what direction they move in.

I agree with you. If they were to get someone better then I don't have a problem with it but is there anyone better who is available? I don't know. Chiarelli will probably build a very good team in Toronto.

Sickbones

5-14-6-1
Oct 17, 2014

Yeah thats pretty garbage if you ask me. God damnit Katz, ruining the Oilers.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Julien wont be fired. One down year after several years on top of the standings, deep playoff runs, 2 cup appearances, their first cup in 40 yrs. he'll get a second chance but next year hes under the microscope/can be fired midseason if it continues

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm sure I am in the minority of Bruins fans, but I disagree with this move. A slightly healthier roster and the Bruins make the playoffs... without a doubt. I would've given him one more year. They are ONE year removed of the President's Trophy... Just seems like an over reaction.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Stanley Cup win, SC runner up, and President's trophy win in 2011, 2013, and 2014 respectively.

Ownership must be pissed about the Seguin trade is my guess.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hes a solid GM, won't be out of work for long.

People said the same about Shero. Spots don't open up all that often and the trend these days for team presidents is to hire former assistant GMs (Treliving, Benning, Murray, Nill, Bergevin, Hextall, McLellan) rather than old GMs.

Chiarelli was with Senators previously, so perhaps he'd be a good fit to take over there now that Murray probably won't continue.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
The Bruins trading raw talent to improve their talent mix finally caught up to Chia. I just wish it happened before 2011.

And I will still never understand why two seasons of Iginla's cap hit was ever considered a good idea. Underrated atrocious deal.

Keep in mind this was a organizational decision, not one Chia made on his own. He stated at the time it would cost them the following year, but worth the risk, he knew and so did those above him in the organization which supported the move.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Seguin and Boychuk were absolutely terrible moves.

Him trying to trade Spooner and a 2nd for Stewart reinforces he has no concept for value in the NHL.

Hopefully Connolly turns into something but I think that was an overpayment.

Looking bad at the good trades he made they honestly just seem like he got lucky. He said himself he was expecting those Toronto picks to be mid first round. Which again would've made the Kessel trade horrible value.

I just don't trust this guy making moves in the future. Even if his ideas are good he's going to overpay or undersell.

You know as well as I that the Seguin deal was not good but it was something that had to be done. Either that or Bergeron or Krejci had to be traded and with Krejci leading the playoffs in scoring twice and Bergeron turning in a heroic performance nightly and Seguin scoring one goal in 22 playoff games and having other problems off of the ice he really wrote his own ticket out of town.

Boychuk deal was terrible though.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

Keep in mind, if the 2010 Toronto first is middling, it probably gets put in play much sooner. The Leafs being terrible actually kept the Bruins from truly going for it at the 09/10 deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad