Bruins fire GM Peter Chiarelli

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Being "one of the best GMs" does not excuse you from making big mistakes. Something went wrong in Boston and it's pretty much known that Chiarelli was the reason for that, he created a team that was tough to manage, so much he had to let go of key players on his team like Iginla, Boychuk, Thornton, etc.

Actually I agree with the firing now, the team is pretty much the same as when it won the cup, guys were getting too old, some changes need to be made, but to be fair, they did have a rough season, I mean Krejci really wasn't healthy at all for instance.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I disagree. Im sure Neely and Jacobs said get him as far away from Boston as you can and probably mandated that it be a west team.

Lots of teams out West.

Also, if that kind of mandate is in play, the onus would be on the GM is to come back and say "If it has to be the West, this is the best I can get. I don't think it's good enough. What say you?"

Of course this is all speculation -- we have zero idea of what "mandates" (if any) were made nor if there was any vetting of possible trade returns outside of the GM.

Not really fair to Chiarelli, Neely, or anyone else to simply speculate.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No surprise really, will Julien hang on though when a new GM is hired?

Most GMs like to hire their own coaches, so unless Neely/Jacobs want him t stick around I doubt it. But then again you can sort of pin the seasons failures on Chia.

They will trade Julien if the new GM doesn't want him. Rumor is the new GM is gunna be Don Sweeney who was assistant GM show theirs a good chance he might stay.

I think you mean fire. Its VERY rare coaches get traded in sports, last I remember was Gruden to the Bucs. Plus theres some good coaches available in "free agency"

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
Most GMs like to hire their own coaches, so unless Neely/Jacobs want him t stick around I doubt it. But then again you can sort of pin the seasons failures on Chia.

I think you mean fire. Its VERY rare coaches get traded in sports, last I remember was Gruden to the Bucs. Plus theres some good coaches available in "free agency"

Nope. I meant trade. A team would absolutely give up something for Julien. Doc Rivers, Herm Edwards, Ozzie Gullien, Steve Van Gundy, Bill Belichick, Lou Pinella, Bill Parcels to name a few

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
wow. over reaction. miss the POs once over a few years and you're gone??

Pat Quinn treatment. Quinn was let go back in 2006 for missing the playoffs by 2 points. I think Belfour missed 30+ games that year.

The Leafs haven't had an identity since he left. RIP Pat

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Nope. I meant trade. A team would absolutely give up something for Julien. Doc Rivers, Herm Edwards, Ozzie Gullien, Steve Van Gundy, Bill Belichick, Lou Pinella, Bill Parcels to name a few

Michel Bergeron !!! Nordique trade Bergeron for Ny Rangers 1st round pick.

The Rangers actually traded 1st round picks twice for a Head Coach. In 1978 the Rangers traded their 1st round pick to Philadelphia ( # 7 overall - Philly picked Ken Linesman ) for Fred Shero. And 10 years later the Rangers traded their 1988 1st round pick ( # 5 overall - Quebec picked Daniel Dore ) to Quebec for Michel Bergeron.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA

He's been making horrible decisions for awhile. They just finally caught up with him.

With the hand he was dealt he could've made the Bruins contenders for the next 10 years.

Dallas Eakins*

In the Kessel trade he was gifted the opportunity to open up a massive contending window he mortgaged the future for idiotic reasons then traded Boychuk for futures when his previous decisions as stupid as they were had to be supported for all out win now mentality. He failed on so many levels.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

No they wouldn't. He's a good coach but its not like Scotty Bowmans available and everyone is dying to hire him.

And yea, theres a select few.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Any team that wants to stay exactly the same with the same players and under contract with NTC that are all overpaid, chiarelli is your guy! Hate the draft? Never make good picks outside of no brainers and constantly trade your 1sts for half a year of jägr or kaberle? Chirelli is your guy!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Actually I agree with the firing now, the team is pretty much the same as when it won the cup, guys were getting too old, some changes need to be made, but to be fair, they did have a rough season, I mean Krejci really wasn't healthy at all for instance.

I don't care if Krecji would have been healthy, the mistakes that has been done since 2013 were the reasons he got fired, also calling re-tool year as a cup year before the season showed that he was lost and couldn't see the reality of this team. Refusing to add D help because he owes it to his D players which will never brake NHL was also one huge mistake.

Also the fact that deadline prices have been too high for him for 3 years now and he has only lost key players and replaced them with nothing. With him we wouldn't have done anything and would have been average next year and heading into rebuild stage. I'm glad that this happened.

He fell in love with his players, who brought him cup and refused to trade them before talent. He kepth them together for too long, too many vets past their primes on this team at the same time.

Last edited:

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
No they wouldn't. He's a good coach but its not like Scotty Bowmans available and everyone is dying to hire him.

And yea, theres a select few.

Well we have different opinions. I think teams would give up some sort of compensation for him.

He's one of the better coaches in the league, just he's worn out his shelf life in Boston. I think he would be great for a bottom feeder.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Well we have different opinions. I think teams would give up some sort of compensation for him.

He's one of the better coaches in the league, just he's worn out his shelf life in Boston. I think he would be great for a bottom feeder.

This is delusional. He's getting Fired. Why would a team like Buffalo trade anything when they can just pick him up when he gets fired?

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
This is delusional. He's getting Fired. Why would a team like Buffalo trade anything when they can just pick him up when he gets fired?

There's no guarantee he's getting fired. The rumor is the new GM will be Don Sweeney who's been in the Bruins organization forever, so he may want to keep Julien. Julien would absolutely be in demand by multiple teams so the Bruins would be foolish not to take offers on him if they decide they wanted to move on from him.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There's no guarantee he's getting fired. The rumor is the new GM will be Don Sweeney who's been in the Bruins organization forever, so he may want to keep Julien. Julien would absolutely be in demand by multiple teams so the Bruins would be foolish not to take offers on him if they decide they wanted to move on from him.

if he's not fired they won't hire him then. He's just a coach. And he's not scotty bowman or even like Mike Babcock or something.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Those teams will wait until he's fired.

It's simply a question as to whether the Bruins owner will let him go or pay him until July 2018 to twiddle his thumbs...

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
Those teams will wait until he's fired.

It's simply a question as to whether the Bruins owner will let him go or pay him until July 2018 to twiddle his thumbs...

And then they run the risk of losing out on him to another team if he hits the market. If you really want him it makes sense to give up some compensation to get him

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Anyone watching the Hawks game?

Bruins were in the cup against them not long ago and now look where both teams are.

Bruins should be a perrenial contender but Chias mismanagement was a colossal failure.

How could anyone want to keep him after how he has destroyed the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad