Bruins fire GM Peter Chiarelli

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
why? For the Seguin trade? I think Cam Neely is as much of the problem if Chiarelli is/was considered one. He's one of the smartest, best minds in hockey IMO. But I guess the fans wanted blood.

I'm not sure where the idea comes from that chiarelli is smart or best mind in hockey. He got lucky on one trade, then spent the rest of his tenure in Boston confining us into a cap hell. He traded one of the best young players in the world for a sack of **** and gave NMC to Chris Kelly among others. He won a cup but had little to do with building that team, all he did was dismantle it and cause our cup window to slam shut 5 yrs too early.

Not only do I think he isn't one of the smartest minds in hockey, I think he might be one of the dumbest and would fit in in Edmonton.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
The Seguin trade is a disgrace and will look even dumber when the Bruins fire Julien and try to implement a more uptempo, offensive system.

Personally though, I think it's a bit rash. He did a lot of good things in his tenure, made a lot of nice trades. His drafting was bad at first but has improved.

Cam and Charlie better come through now or they are the idiots. I hope they hire Gorton.

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
I'm not sure where the idea comes from that chiarelli is smart or best mind in hockey. He got lucky on one trade, then spent the rest of his tenure in Boston confining us into a cap hell. He traded one of the best young players in the world for a sack of **** and gave NMC to Chris Kelly among others. He won a cup but had little to do with building that team, all he did was dismantle it and cause our cup window to slam shut 5 yrs too early.

Not only do I think he isn't one of the smartest minds in hockey, I think he might be one of the dumbest and would fit in in Edmonton.

Basically

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
2011 seems so long ago now. Both GM's from the cup final have been fired less than 4 years since the final.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site

The idea probably comes from all of the hockey people who say those things like other GMs, people like Pierre McGuire, Steve Yzerman, etc.

You are not giving him enough credit for what he did. Teams that have older players like Chara and Tim Thomas and Mark Recchi do not have a 10 year window. He signed Kelly to a $3 million contract not a huge deal.

The Marc Savard contract was a huge part of the problem and then having so many good players contracts come up at the same time made it very difficult. They went for it last year, they got Iginla and part of his cap hit is being paid this season. They were the best team in the regular season last year. They knew they would have to pay the cap hit this season and that this season was not going to be an easy year.

If there is something that was a legitimate problem with Chiarelli it was the team's drafting while he was here and that he let the makeup of the team change so much into a team that isn't so hard to play against. He did replace the head of amateur scouting for that exact reason over a year ago.

One mediocre season where two of their most important players were injured for at least half of the year and Chiarelli was fired. That is what happened and it doesn't mean that the team won't be better for it but I just can't sit by and say Chiarelli didn't do a good job because I believe he did a great job with a few exceptions, chief among them the Boychuk trade. You simply don't trade a #2 D in the prime of his career who wants to return to the team and says so publicly. Boychuk was the perfect Bruin. Trading Boychuk tells me that Chiarelli may have lost the vision of what this team is supposed to be and that is a legit reason to fire him but I will not crap on his excellent work in the past.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Sure, fire one of the best GM's, that will solve your problems. :shakehead

Being "one of the best GMs" does not excuse you from making big mistakes. Something went wrong in Boston and it's pretty much known that Chiarelli was the reason for that, he created a team that was tough to manage, so much he had to let go of key players on his team like Iginla, Boychuk, Thornton, etc.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Rask, Lucic, Ference, Marchand and Lucic were the previous regime.

Lucic has a twin?

And the trade for Ference was on February 10th, 2007, not under the previous regime.

It's quite possible that Chiarelli did not participate in the decisions taken during the 2006 draft, but I firmly believe that he had his say in the Rask trade.

Ttracer*

Team aims to win cup, bottom half team

Expect something similar from LA

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Some of my fellow Bruins fans are being a bit disingenuous and are selling him way short. To say that he basically didn't have a hand in building the cup team is just plain wrong.

That said, his track record since the cup is spotty and the team underperformed in a big way this year. The firing is justified. I think what hurt him this year was a 3 year stretch 5-6 years ago where we had some miserable drafts. Getting basically nothing out of those did him in, as he had to lock up established talent (and we all know established talent costs $$$)

Now hopefully they bring back Gorton

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
He won't end up in Toronto unless he's cool having his assistants in place already, maybe a head coach he didn't pick and answering to Shanahan on everything.

This is what it comes down to.

The new GM, will have to fit into to a 4 headed MT, which makes all the decisions collaboratively.
If any candidate wants to be THE guy, don't bother applying.

I think Futa fits in with the two people, who already know more about the O, than anyone else.

studDUGY

Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Chiarelli destroyed his own team by handing out ridiculous contracts. But honestly, he really isn't that much the guy to blame. The cap space is to blame. Being a good team is often punishing, even if you develop your own players.

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
Chiarelli destroyed his own team by handing out ridiculous contracts. But honestly, he really isn't that much the guy to blame. The cap space is to blame. Being a good team is often punishing, even if you develop your own players.

His job is to manage the cap space. When you don't draft well, you have to overpay for bottom roster players. Chiarelli didn't draft well so he overpaid the likes of kelly, Campbell, paille and others to populate the bottom 6 when if he had drafted well he could have had young players on elc's.

Also don't know if anyone has mentioned but he had two young players that looked like serviceable bottom 6ers that he exposed to waivers this season and both got picked up (Fraser and Cunningham). That's just inexcusable.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
lol fire that whole management staff for doubting seguin

As a Bruins fan I have less of an issue with the fact they dealt him, but a major issue in how they shopped him. Unless there's more than what we've seen and heard, the optics appear to indicate that he negotiated with one team...Dallas.

How on earth do you not get multiple teams involved once you come to the conclusion that your going to make him available? I understand how at the trade deadline you sometimes have to make tough calls under the gun, but there was zero rush to do this deal given that it was July. The draft had already happened, training camps were months away, etc. it just felt so rushed.

Watching that video shows Cam's biggest weakness as a Decision Maker, which is also his most endearing quality to the fans...his emotions. Good decision makers in this league make decisions that are well researched, driven by data, and largely devoid of emotion. The Seguin trade looked like it was driven by emotion...they were frustrated with him, and made the decision to move him before knowing exactly what his market value was. It should always be the other way around, so that you can back down from needing to move him if you find out the market is less than you hoped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad