Bruins fans trade deadline mindset

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
my mindset is two fold

1. Dont trade any draft picks in the first three rounds for a rental- we need those to rebuild and after watching how Gretzky nailed Pasta and some of those later picks- :handclap:

2. I'm off on Monday and what do I get to eat? leaning to Chinese but still evalutating options

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
could a combo of his finger and his knee. He has to get the benefit of the doubt no? He could not have got this awful in that short period of time.

Absolutely he should. I think people who want to trade him are just as insane as those who want to trade Rask.

People never ever take these things into account. It's as if their mind goes blank for anything beyond the last 60 games. It's absurd.

I get that he's slowed down and he's not at the "level" he once was. But a guy that stays that healthy for so long and a guy who ALWAYS fights through injuries doesn't fall off the way he does. It just doesn't make any sense. He's fighting through something, and I think he'll be back to form next year. Not elite, but damn close.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Just not sure if it would be worth the return. What do you think you could get for him?

1st, young player, top prospect? Then I would look into it, but he looks so bad many nights right now.

I don't know how much other teams value him now and tomorrow. Offensively,12 NHL defensemen in history have scored 40 points at 38 or older and all of them had much higher peaks than Chara. 30 points? 16 of them. The offense is easier to read. Is he worth it as a 30 point defenseman who is slowing outside of a knee injury. Older players get injured more not only because of wear and tear but because of probability based on numbers,amount of chances to being injured throughout a long career. Not a fan of aging players,not smart investments. Chara is 2 or 3 levels below his peak now,history says he remains there. Sentimentality is for fools in business. I'll bet Chiarelli's been asked about Chara many times and he probably has an idea of his value.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'm somewhere between Trim the Fat and Sell Sell Sell.

I don't think they need a "new" identity, they just have to get back to the one they've always had.
I don't think they need to overhaul the core and I don't think they need some new grand vision for the future.

This team has a good core and a good coach. They have a special talent in David Pastrnak who will fill the 1RW hole. They do have a need for a #3 defenseman to play with Seidenberg but they may have that solution in house as well in the form of Joe Morrow. I'd like to see them add a power forward to play with Soder and Eriksson and I'd like to see them rebuild the 4th line to give us back our identity. Finding the right mix of bottom6 wingers shouldn't be an impossible task (or an expensive one).

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
See this thread just highlights the hypocrisy among fans.

Over 7 out of 10 of you have voted to not improve the team. Yet I bet more than 30% of this website will hold it against PC for not improving us this year like he didn't in '12 or '14. And if we make it out of the first round and have a deep playoff run people are going to be screaming murder for PC not adding to the team at the deadline when its clear we badly need another top 6 winger. But those folks probably voted blow it up.

Keep this years first since it likely holds the same value as the 9th or 10th overall pick in a weaker draft but if you want us to keep the ****ing Islanders picks instead of using them to improve the team with Seids and Chara aging rapidly you need your head checked and please don't criticize the GM for lack of action after you voted in this poll to quit on the season.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
I'm comfortable not making the playoffs. I'd rather do that than watch this team play 4 games against the Habs, lose them all, and wish I took up another sport to be a fan of. Get rid of the has-beens like Paille, Campbell, Kelly, and Seidenberg who still have value, but have more value for other teams (although I can't think of any team that would take any of them) than our team. I'm starting to believe at the deadline, if no one makes an offer on Campbell and Kelly, you waive them so the younger players can get their feet wet in the NHL. Teams will come in with offers for Paille and Seidenberg, even if it's pennies on the dollar. Do so, even if it hurts. Short term hurt for long-term gain is well worth eating a little pride now.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Anytime you make the p/o you got a chance and you should take full advantage of the op. There are teams like the Leafs that would give up their collective left testicle to be in our position. The Bs have a great core of experienced vets that aren't even 30 yet (Chara & Seids exception). That's why you should go for it by tweeking this team. I don't think anybody (Chia included) is planning to sell the farm (what does that even mean? All your picks & "A" prospects? Or just some?). Gets some goal scorers and attitude on this team for some mid level picks & prospects. They can be rentals or if they work out long term solutions. Deal with it in the off season. It can also be a trade like OEL for Hamilton, or Smith+ for Coyle. But something has to be done and not waste this opportunity. The fat trimming or what have you, can be done in the summer easily.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Absolutely he should. I think people who want to trade him are just as insane as those who want to trade Rask.

People never ever take these things into account. It's as if their mind goes blank for anything beyond the last 60 games. It's absurd.

I get that he's slowed down and he's not at the "level" he once was. But a guy that stays that healthy for so long and a guy who ALWAYS fights through injuries doesn't fall off the way he does. It just doesn't make any sense. He's fighting through something, and I think he'll be back to form next year. Not elite, but damn close.

I have to disagree with you and WBC to an extent (and this is a topic I got blasted on last fall, but here I go again). He hasn't gotten bad quick. He has been on a declining path year after year, and it's really just the way things go for athletes his age. I'm not saying that he has no value. I'm not saying he's not the Bruins best D-man when healthy. But IMO, Chara is not elite and the fact that he garnered any Norris consideration to me last year was a joke.

He's a big, physical, imposing guy and that and his reach alone make him effective. But he's not elite and come playoff time, there are occasions where he gets burned. Each year I think it becomes more frequent.

Assuming he is still suffering the effects of injuries, to the extent that he his less affected next year, I'd predict that adding a year of age offsets the recovery from injury, and we basically have the same Chara next year as this year.

If he was a $5m #2 or #3 it's not as big of a deal. When that's your $7 million #1 defenseman, it's an indictment of the D overall.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
What I want: Tweak, maybe a large deal moving assets/$ but don't risk the future.

What I think will happen: Nothing. Nothing at all.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have a feeling it has a LOT to do with that knee injury. It has to be. This guy was at a Norris-trophy winning level just last year. I think last year was his best year since the cup season. Montreal's speed has always given him trouble, so that didn't really phase me. But this is a guy who NEVER gets hurt, and came back pretty damn quickly from what looked like a scary knee injury.

I have a feeling he rushed back. He's still timid making plays, which is a lot unlike him. Not throwing hard slap shots on net, seems to be just pushing the puck into the slot. His lack of impact on offense is certainly being missed. This team's strategy of getting the puck back to the point to create offense was built on Chara. On pace for a worse offensive season than the lockout year.

I agree 100%. That knee is still wonky- I won't be surprised if he ends up having it operated on once the season is over. I'm not ready to give up Chara yet.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I agree 100%. That knee is still wonky- I won't be surprised if he ends up having it operated on once the season is over. I'm not ready to give up Chara yet.

Of course its still wonky. Its still probably healing and he wants to minimize chance of reinjuring it. Once he gets in the p/o, he'll throw that caution to the wind. Count on it ;)

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I have to disagree with you and WBC to an extent (and this is a topic I got blasted on last fall, but here I go again). He hasn't gotten bad quick. He has been on a declining path year after year, and it's really just the way things go for athletes his age. I'm not saying that he has no value. I'm not saying he's not the Bruins best D-man when healthy. But IMO, Chara is not elite and the fact that he garnered any Norris consideration to me last year was a joke.

He's a big, physical, imposing guy and that and his reach alone make him effective. But he's not elite and come playoff time, there are occasions where he gets burned. Each year I think it becomes more frequent.

Assuming he is still suffering the effects of injuries, to the extent that he his less affected next year, I'd predict that adding a year of age offsets the recovery from injury, and we basically have the same Chara next year as this year.

If he was a $5m #2 or #3 it's not as big of a deal. When that's your $7 million #1 defenseman, it's an indictment of the D overall.

Just an interesting little factoid for ya about the 2013 year, and why it wasn't a joke that he received those votes.

Player | Games Played | Avg TOI/G | Total GA | PP GA
Suter|82|29:24|83|20
Karlsson|82|27:04|117|20
Campbell|82|26:57|90|16
Weber|79|26:54|101|24
Josi|72|26:25|89|21
Ekman-Larsson|80|25:53|79|22
Doughty|78|25:42|69|18
Pietrangelo|81|25:21|85|24
Markov|81|25:14|78|21
McDonagh|77|24:49|81|22
J. Johnson|82|24:40|99|25
Chara |77|24:39|72|27
Keith|79|24:38|86|15
MacDonald|82|24:37|112|28
Subban|82|24:36|84|6
Greene|82|24:34|86|25
Carlson|82|24:30|95|33
Goligoski|81|24:18|85|21
Kronwall|79|24:18|90|21
Yandle|82|24:08|92|5

The PP GA are a subset of of the Total GA.

This list is the top 20 guys in time on ice last year that played at least 70 games. If you notice, of all players, only Drew Doughty was actually on the ice for less goals than Chara last year. That's a pretty telling statistic. If he had fallen off like you say, he wouldn't be that high on this list, let alone have the gap on some of the other guys that he has. The guy was a still a top shutdown defenseman last year. He's not at the level that he was at in previous years, which was arguably THE best shutdown defender. But he's still certainly up there, at least as of last season.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I think it's all about retooling for the future whether it's a couple moves or a bunch.
Either way, I'd rather seem them do nothing or have a yard sale over acquiring another guy past his prime to have more veteran presence.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Just an interesting little factoid for ya about the 2013 year, and why it wasn't a joke that he received those votes.

This list is the top 20 guys in time on ice last year that played at least 70 games. If you notice, of all players, only Drew Doughty was actually on the ice for less goals than Chara last year. That's a pretty telling statistic. If he had fallen off like you say, he wouldn't be that high on this list, let alone have the gap on some of the other guys that he has. The guy was a still a top shutdown defenseman last year. He's not at the level that he was at in previous years, which was arguably THE best shutdown defender. But he's still certainly up there, at least as of last season.

That's a great table, and to the extent that Norris consideration is based on stats, it makes a point.

There are probably a dozen guys on that list I'd take over Chara, and while there are 3 finalists for the Norris trophy annually, he's not one of the 3 best d-men in the league in my view. Your mileage may vary. And in addition to a dozen or so in the list above, I'd add Mark Giordano and Shattenkirk, right off the top of my head. Which gets back to my pre-season position...he may be one of the 15 most effective D-men when healthy. Is that elite? Meh. Will be be elite next year? I don't believe so.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Over 7 out of 10 of you have voted to not improve the team. Yet I bet more than 30% of this website will hold it against PC for not improving us this year like he didn't in '12 or '14. And if we make it out of the first round and have a deep playoff run people are going to be screaming murder for PC not adding to the team at the deadline when its clear we badly need another top 6 winger. But those folks probably voted blow it up.

Keep this years first since it likely holds the same value as the 9th or 10th overall pick in a weaker draft but if you want us to keep the ****ing Islanders picks instead of using them to improve the team with Seids and Chara aging rapidly you need your head checked and please don't criticize the GM for lack of action after you voted in this poll to quit on the season.

There was a team then with legit shot at Cup.l in 2012-14.This time not so much.I personally do not trust this GM either to get fair value in trades.Far as having my head checked.Yup your right cause I am responding to a thread I already know answer too.:help:

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

Yup, don't even mention that each year Chara is voted as the most difficult player to play against.

On a related note: OEL looks good on that chart.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Yup, don't even mention that each year Chara is voted as the most difficult player to play against.

On a related note: OEL looks good on that chart.

Another good point, I really can't argue that. I still take a bunch of players over Chara and you don't, but I think that's a fair difference in opinion.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I definitely want them to trim the fat. I just don't think that is what is going to happen.

I'd like to see the following out the door;
Soderberg, Eriksson, Krug, Griffith, Campbell, and Paille
and the following in the door;
Kassian, Atkinson, Jack Johnson, and draft picks and prospects.

Not sure how you make that work; but then you would have several young wingers and a very solid top 4 defense going into next year with plenty of cap space to boot.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I'm somewhere between Trim the Fat and Sell Sell Sell.

I don't think they need a "new" identity, they just have to get back to the one they've always had.
I don't think they need to overhaul the core and I don't think they need some new grand vision for the future.

This team has a good core and a good coach. They have a special talent in David Pastrnak who will fill the 1RW hole. They do have a need for a #3 defenseman to play with Seidenberg but they may have that solution in house as well in the form of Joe Morrow. I'd like to see them add a power forward to play with Soder and Eriksson and I'd like to see them rebuild the 4th line to give us back our identity. Finding the right mix of bottom6 wingers shouldn't be an impossible task (or an expensive one).

concur.

where you been, hass?

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts

The question that remains unanswered: which players that are available warrant trading picks in exchange for while simultaneously making this team legitimately dangerous?

I just don't see anyone that is likely available who meets that criteria (but I'm not privy to those kind of real details), and this team isn't a bandaid away from being a legitimate threat. Add to the fact that the Bruins are likely to be in the same exact situation next year as well (underwhelming team but close to the cap ceiling, unable to make trades etc), and you have the perfect opportunity to sell players while they still hold value.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad