Bruins fans trade deadline mindset

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
No matter what we as fans want, all levels of management are compelled to make an honest effort when it comes to this year. The current admin is not going to say "ahh, **** it. Burn it down."

From what we've heard, what would make anyone think they are comfortable enough to do that?

Just do what Chia SAYS he's supposed to do. Make a couple moves to patch needs, while keeping the future in mind. The summer is when you look to make a larger restruction...moving guys like Paille, Campbell, the third line choices, so on...

This summer Chia HAS GOT to address our lack of physicality.

So, tweak. Keep short term and long term interests in mind. Do that everyday.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Trim the fat. Shop the obvious pieces (Paille, Campbell, Seidenberg, Smith, Kelly, McQuaid, maybe Soderberg) in order to acquire draft picks and clear cap space for a busy offseason. Fill the void with younger guys from Providence, who have something to prove. Aim to make the playoffs.

Completely unrealistic scenario considering the leaks coming out of ownership, and Charlie publicly saying the front office is under review. I'm nervous on what is about to come.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Can't really answer because I want a mix of trimming the fat and tweaking the roster. For example, I'd like a forward or two brought in, but I'd also like to see them get some assets for a guy like Soderberg. He hasn't been pulling his weight and could command a decent return at the deadline.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Trim the fat, by fat I mean Boston's UFAs, specifically Soderberg, McQuaid and Bartowski.

Take advantage of a shallow UFA trade market and ship them and their affordable contracts to contenders for young players/picks.

If they can find takers for Campbell and Paille send them packing as well.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
I would look to trade all of the impending UFA's for futures (either picks or prospects) and then try to use guys like Seidenberg, Chara, Smith or Eriksson to upgrade the team.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

My mindset?

Make trades to make the team better. Give the team a real shot at a playoff run. Don't give up the future doing it.

Management here doesn't do this, they can kiss any support I may have had for them in the future good-the-****-bye.

Now, you can say "yeah but that's not a realistic set of parameters to meet." And you're RIGHT. But it's the horsepiss of a job that's been (not) done in the last year and a half that's set themselves up to fail. I've never been an advocate of gradually eroding the quality of the roster and doing nothing when the needs are obvious ones. My unrealistic expectations haven't been forged in a vacuum. And now the task has gone from reasoned patience... to five days, do or die.

There is no wiggle room. Do it. Get it right (whatever it happens to be). Or get the **** out to make room for a management team who will.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bruins next year be in cap trouble too, so I think they need to look beyond next year too.Chiarelli fixes this inside 2 years he is good.What a mess.P.S mystery injuries will develop now to avoid being traded lol

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Another thing i have to mention is our General Manager always seems go get back less for better players.Seguin brought back ok return but not near what it should have and same with Boychuck.What would he fetch about now if Sekera brought a 1st n prospect?And no one can tell me Johnny Boychuck not alot better player then Sekera.So QUESTION IS! Do you trust Chiarelli when it comes to dealing off parts to get a quality return?

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

My mindset?

Make trades to make the team better. Give the team a real shot at a playoff run. Don't give up the future doing it.

Management here doesn't do this, they can kiss any support I may have had for them in the future good-the-****-bye.

Now, you can say "yeah but that's not a realistic set of parameters to meet." And you're RIGHT. But it's the horsepiss of a job that's been (not) done in the last year and a half that's set themselves up to fail. I've never been an advocate of gradually eroding the quality of the roster and doing nothing when the needs are obvious ones. My unrealistic expectations haven't been forged in a vacuum. And now the task has gone from reasoned patience... to five days, do or die.

There is no wiggle room. Do it. Get it right (whatever it happens to be). Or get the **** out to make room for a management team who will.

I agree. My opinion will never change ,make trades to improve the club right now. I can't fathom this one and done talk when you factor in the unpredictability of the playoffs.If the New York Rangers can make the Stanley Cup finals last year,anything is possible.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Trim the fat for this guy

just not this teams year for me to get consumed (not that I ever do) with trade deadline watching

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
Trim the fat get rid of Campbell, Paille, Kelly, Loui, and Seidenberg get some picks or a top line RW...

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I'm not opposed to acquiring - it just needs to be the 'right stuff' which, for me, are 'hockey trades' that would be about exchanging prospects that might a fit a different system better, need a change of scenery.

I highly doubt they'd 'trim the fat' but that was my vote. Soup, Paille, Bart - I'm guessing don't have a future here. Maybe Paille but don't see it. Bart I actually like, but don't think they do.

Soderberg is the biggest wildcard. They need to make that decision, now. Re-sign or move.

I'd be very surprised if they moved Chara or Lucic (or other major component) at this time. If Anaheim was desperate for either, or both, I think they have good, young assets that would be attractive.

I do think they'll be buying. I don't think it'll be anything to put us over the top and won't be strong enough to give this team false hope.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'm open to moving many pieces not named Rask,Bergeron,Krejci or Rask. Don't think we can piecemeal our way back to legitimacy. Multiple moves are necessary.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I'm open to moving many pieces not named Rask,Bergeron,Krejci or Rask. Don't think we can piecemeal our way back to legitimacy. Multiple moves are necessary.

Agreed. Multiple significant moves will be required to be a contender again. Can't do that in the regular season.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Agreed. Multiple significant moves will be required to be a contender again. Can't do that in the regular season.

I'm just hoping they don't think they can move a piece and wait,move a piece and wait. This year is probably sunk but some courage could set them up for the next 5 years before Bergeron and Krejci are 35.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If the Bruins don't make any moves to improve and "give up" then get Chara into surgery and shut down Seidenberg. Protect your investment and save anything they may have left.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
If the Bruins don't make any moves to improve and "give up" then get Chara into surgery and shut down Seidenberg. Protect your investment and save anything they may have left.

I like to look at them like a stock,nothing personal,try to sell near the top,before the inevitable correction and replace with another stock that's ascending. I'm willing to allow someone else to have Chara's next 3-5 years for a price.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Somewhere between tweak and load (that sounds dirty)

Buy, but buy responsibly. If Vermette's going to cost a 1st and Spooner, then screw that, but don't cheap out and get Mike Mottau and Wade Redden. Somewhere in between, though if you need to sweeten the pot to get a deal done, as long as it's not ridiculous overpayment, I'd say get it done.

That's were I'm at.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I like to look at them like a stock,nothing personal,try to sell near the top,before the inevitable correction and replace with another stock that's ascending. I'm willing to allow someone else to have Chara's next 3-5 years for a price.

Just not sure if it would be worth the return. What do you think you could get for him?

1st, young player, top prospect? Then I would look into it, but he looks so bad many nights right now.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Just not sure if it would be worth the return. What do you think you could get for him?

1st, young player, top prospect? Then I would look into it, but he looks so bad many nights right now.

I have a feeling it has a LOT to do with that knee injury. It has to be. This guy was at a Norris-trophy winning level just last year. I think last year was his best year since the cup season. Montreal's speed has always given him trouble, so that didn't really phase me. But this is a guy who NEVER gets hurt, and came back pretty damn quickly from what looked like a scary knee injury.

I have a feeling he rushed back. He's still timid making plays, which is a lot unlike him. Not throwing hard slap shots on net, seems to be just pushing the puck into the slot. His lack of impact on offense is certainly being missed. This team's strategy of getting the puck back to the point to create offense was built on Chara. On pace for a worse offensive season than the lockout year.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I have a feeling it has a LOT to do with that knee injury. It has to be. This guy was at a Norris-trophy winning level just last year. I think last year was his best year since the cup season. Montreal's speed has always given him trouble, so that didn't really phase me. But this is a guy who NEVER gets hurt, and came back pretty damn quickly from what looked like a scary knee injury.

I have a feeling he rushed back. He's still timid making plays, which is a lot unlike him. Not throwing hard slap shots on net, seems to be just pushing the puck into the slot. His lack of impact on offense is certainly being missed. This team's strategy of getting the puck back to the point to create offense was built on Chara. On pace for a worse offensive season than the lockout year.

could a combo of his finger and his knee. He has to get the benefit of the doubt no? He could not have got this awful in that short period of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad