Bruins fans trade deadline mindset

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Trim the fat, hope we make the playoffs. Too many holes on this team to start selling everything to gap fill. Our two best D are shells of their former selves. No big RWer and nothing of value that we can afford to move to get one if there was even one out there. It's just not happening this year let's not waste assets.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
I'm in the trim the fat department. I'd be in the sell, but I hate losing. We might as well get whatever we can from the UFAs that we don't want and lock up guys like Hamilton that are part of our core. If we make the playoffs with whatever pieces we get/have, that's awesome, but chances are this team will not go far in the playoffs.

If a trade comes along where a core piece is wanted for futures, and the futures improves our team, I do it with anyone not named Bergy, Rask, or Hamilton.

Trim the fat, maybe make a move at the draft, and get ready for next year. If Krejci is coming back this year, I'd sell Soderberg and get Spooner experience for next year.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Campbell and Paille have to go, right? Zero chance we re-sign either and we can replace them internally or externally for lesser assets than we can get for them.

At this point I am OK with moving Soderberg too if we can get a 1st + for him!

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I have to disagree with you and WBC to an extent (and this is a topic I got blasted on last fall, but here I go again). He hasn't gotten bad quick. He has been on a declining path year after year, and it's really just the way things go for athletes his age. I'm not saying that he has no value. I'm not saying he's not the Bruins best D-man when healthy. But IMO, Chara is not elite and the fact that he garnered any Norris consideration to me last year was a joke.

He's a big, physical, imposing guy and that and his reach alone make him effective. But he's not elite and come playoff time, there are occasions where he gets burned. Each year I think it becomes more frequent.

Assuming he is still suffering the effects of injuries, to the extent that he his less affected next year, I'd predict that adding a year of age offsets the recovery from injury, and we basically have the same Chara next year as this year.

If he was a $5m #2 or #3 it's not as big of a deal. When that's your $7 million #1 defenseman, it's an indictment of the D overall.

Sometimes we see things we want to see I think. Want to see Chara as having "declined" the last few years? I am sure you can find a way. I don't think he has -- the drop off has been incredible this year. Chara is not Chara this year. Before this year, he was his usual Norris self in my eyes. Looks like Chara will have a longer offseason than usual this year to recover and be healthy. He may be slower in 15-16 than he was in 13-14 but he will certainly be better than he was in 14-15.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Sometimes we see things we want to see I think. Want to see Chara as having "declined" the last few years? I am sure you can find a way. I don't think he has -- the drop off has been incredible this year. Chara is not Chara this year. Before this year, he was his usual Norris self in my eyes. Looks like Chara will have a longer offseason than usual this year to recover and be healthy. He may be slower in 15-16 than he was in 13-14 but he will certainly be better than he was in 14-15.

Overall, I agree Chara has been bad this year but I can think of some games where he has looked like the Chara of old. I don't think it is impossible to think Chara could rebound and have a good playoff. Seidenberg's decline has been much more severe in my opinion.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Overall, I agree Chara has been bad this year but I can think of some games where he has looked like the Chara of old. I don't think it is impossible to think Chara could rebound and have a good playoff. Seidenberg's decline has been much more severe in my opinion.

I agree with that too.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
This team needs to seriously retool.
One important step is getting rid of our cap fat.
Another important step is trading guys who are taking significant cap space but not earning their paychecks.

We need a blockbuster. Why not make the move for Taylor Hall?
Of course we need to give up roster pieces for that to happen, but if their name isn't Dougie Hamilton, I would try everything in my power to make it happen!

Bruins, lack impact players right now.
You telling me that Soderberg, Marchand, Lucic, Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Torey Krug etc. are untouchable?
They're not! Get one more impact player, and the picture changes.

Even if we are not making the playoffs this year, the team needs to be seriously reshaped/retooled for the future.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This team needs to seriously retool.
One important step is getting rid of our cap fat.
Another important step is trading guys who are taking significant cap space but not earning their paychecks.

We need a blockbuster. Why not make the move for Taylor Hall?
Of course we need to give up roster pieces for that to happen, but if their name isn't Dougie Hamilton, I would try everything in my power to make it happen!

Bruins, lack impact players right now.
You telling me that Soderberg, Marchand, Lucic, Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Torey Krug etc. are untouchable?
They're not! Get one more impact player, and the picture changes.

Even if we are not making the playoffs this year, the team needs to be seriously reshaped/retooled for the future.

players taking up cap space but not earning it.......hmm, that could be virtually EVERY Bruin this year;)

we could be looking at a team who`s leading scorer has less than 50 bloody points....crazy, Bergy with 42 so probably not but I think we`d agree that`s pretty weak

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
This is how i see it.

The resposible me wants wants Chiarelli to try and re-sign Soderberg by Sunday, if not trade him for a 1st round pick. I would like to see Campbell,Paiile and Bartkowski moved. The three ahould bring in a3rd and a couple of 4ths. Which in turn can be used to move up at this draft.

The irresponsible me would like the Bruins to move Paille ,Campbell,Spooner, and the Bruins 2 2nds they acquired in the Boychuk trade and pick up Cole & Fiddler from Dallas and Zidlicky& Gomez from the Devils.

Lucic Krejci/Gomez Cole
Marchand. Bergy. Smith
Pastrnak. Soda Eriksson
Ferlin. Kelly. Fiddler

Chara. Hamilton
Zidlicky. Seids
Krug. McQuaid

Yes i know. Not the best lineup but the first line when Krejci is back will be better, 3rd line with Pastrnak would be better and the 4th line would actually be a very good 4th line. Gomez would be an extra going into the playoffs.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Chia is going to sweep in late and pick up the scraps . Guys like Camara will prolly be moved along with 4th rd picks... An older winger and defenseman , both UFA will be coming back.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
Chia is going to sweep in late and pick up the scraps . Guys like Camara will prolly be moved along with 4th rd picks... An older winger and defenseman , both UFA will be coming back.

I'm not sure, Lou. I'm still evaluating what Chia is likely to do, but I can agree with this. Stewart is definitely coming back or maybe even Ryder.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'm not sure, Lou. I'm still evaluating what Chia is likely to do, but I can agree with this. Stewart is definitely coming back or maybe even Ryder.

They usually dump players with character issues so if he does come here it would be out of "character" for this organization. They lost 2 quality character guys and now bring back one with questionable character to an already dour locker room? I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad