Post-Game Talk: BRUINS End of Season Press Conference - Video and Transcript 5/9/23

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
What was so great about Hall? He had 1 really good game but when push came to shove in the last 3 games he wasn't exactly leading the way either.
Hall played hard and was having a great series in the first 4 games (4G 3A -7) until Monty threw the lines in a blender screwing up line chemistry and reducing Hall's TOI

I blame Monty for that ...not Hall

If Monty would've kept Bergy and DK out of the lineup for game 5 and stayed with the same lines and strategy from game 4, I think the B's win the series

..but unfortunately we'll never know now

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Marchy-Bergy-Debrusk
Hall-Zacha-Pasta
Bertuzzi-Coyle-Frederic
Lucic-Beacher-Lauko
Greer

Lindholm-McAvoy
Lohrei-Carlo
Forbort-Schenn
Zboril

Swayman
Bussi

Traded:
Ullmark, Gryz, Reilly,

Not coming back
Krejci, Foligno, Clifton, Orlov, Hathaway, Nosek

If Krejci decided to come back for one more year, I look to trade Coyle and slot Krejci as the 3C

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
What was so great about Hall? He had 1 really good game but when push came to shove in the last 3 games he wasn't exactly leading the way either.
Your kidding right?

Frustrated as usual with Don Sweeney's canned responses.

What's your game plan for the summer? What are your priorities in the off-season? What can we do better? Are you interested in bringing any UFA's back?

He just repeats the same answer over and over, same one he gave last year and the year before... "We're going to look at everything. We like who we have. We'd love to have everyone back. We'll see where it goes...."

Someone did ask him specifically about cap flexibility and he admitted he would pursue that.

I don't know I just don't get why he's not more forthcoming. He obviously did a great job this year. He's been GM of the Year before and could win it again. Why not share your thoughts? It's like he doesn't like the media or the fans and begrudges having to tell us anything.
What is it you want him to say. It’s poker time for him. Even he doesn’t know what’s going to happen. I don’t know how much he can say….

Reactions: wintersej

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Penguins - 1 miss, 7 first round exits
Hawks - 7 misses, 5 first round exits
TB - 6 misses, 4 first round exits
LA - 9 Misses, 5 first round exits
BOS - 4 Misses, 4 first round exits
Det - 6 Misses , 4 first round exits

So if using my arbitrary goalpost of making the 2nd round the Bs are tied with the Pens since the 2005-6 season as least un-successful. Also, looking at this, LA was only *good* for 3 seasons, but they pretty much maxed that out. And Chicago was really "only" on top for 7 seasons, with 2 first round exits in that time.
Great research. Gives me some perspective.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Coyle has been looking good. I would not do this^
Coyote is a player that at times looks like the best player on the team ,but also at times can look unnoticeable,very frustrating.We’re a few games in the playoffs he was a beast,but he disappeared the last three games,2019 he may have been there best forward,next couple of playoffs pretty much unnoticed.He frustrates the hell out of me ,but yeah not sure I would replace him with Krejci.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Frustrated as usual with Don Sweeney's canned responses.

What's your game plan for the summer? What are your priorities in the off-season? What can we do better? Are you interested in bringing any UFA's back?

He just repeats the same answer over and over, same one he gave last year and the year before... "We're going to look at everything. We like who we have. We'd love to have everyone back. We'll see where it goes...."

Someone did ask him specifically about cap flexibility and he admitted he would pursue that.

I don't know I just don't get why he's not more forthcoming. He obviously did a great job this year. He's been GM of the Year before and could win it again. Why not share your thoughts? It's like he doesn't like the media or the fans and begrudges having to tell us anything.

I feel like you have to read between the lines with a lot of what Sweeney says. He mentioned a few times about the young core of the team. Whether it was them needing to step up and be leaders going forward and to developing young players to to fit the young core they have. Obviously he mentioned the cap and how roster changes will have to be made, but we all knew that.

I think this was his way of saying this offseason is a retool. I don’t think they expect bergy and krejci back. Neely mentioned how game 3 and 4 was an early glimpse to the future (no bergy or krejci)

Now the last time the organization had this type of tone was 2015 when they did a big retool. I think they kind of hinted that is what’s on the way.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Hall played hard and was having a great series in the first 4 games (4G 3A -7) until Monty threw the lines in a blender screwing up line chemistry and reducing Hall's TOI

I blame Monty for that ...not Hall

If Monty would've kept Bergy and DK out of the lineup for game 5 and stayed with the same lines and strategy from game 4, I think the B's win the series

..but unfortunately we'll never know now

Krejci didn't dress for Game 5.

Bergeron scored a third period tying goal in Game 5.

Cannot see how anyone would think putting Bergeron into the lineup at that point would hurt the team.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
3-1 without him, 0-3 with him.
-6 and on the ice for 8 of the 15 Panther goals.

Why would you not rest him and potentially get him 5-6 days of additional rest if you close them out in game 5?

They were in control and didn't need to rush him into the lineup.

Monty couldn't have explained that to Patrice?

The deepest team in the league needed to play injured players up 3 -1?

The coach didn't have the sack to be the coach, he let goalie Bob, Linus and Patrice tell him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Penguins - 1 miss, 7 first round exits
Hawks - 7 misses, 5 first round exits
TB - 6 misses, 4 first round exits
LA - 9 Misses, 5 first round exits
BOS - 4 Misses, 4 first round exits
Det - 6 Misses , 4 first round exits

So if using my arbitrary goalpost of making the 2nd round the Bs are tied with the Pens since the 2005-6 season as least un-successful. Also, looking at this, LA was only *good* for 3 seasons, but they pretty much maxed that out. And Chicago was really "only" on top for 7 seasons, with 2 first round exits in that time.

We have had it very very very good, but it’s always going to be out what could have been.

Reactions: Lobster57

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
What is it you want him to say. It’s poker time for him. Even he doesn’t know what’s going to happen. I don’t know how much he can say….
I'd like him to tell us the plan. Who's he playing poker with? Everyone knows he has to clear cap space. Other GM's aren't afraid to say 'we want to get younger, or older or tougher or better in transition or in goal or behind the bench...'

I also would have liked someone to ask him why no college free agent signings? Did he pursue them and get no takers? Did he not pursue them because of contract slots or something.

Cam tells you more in 5 seconds ("Games 3 and 4 is probably a good indication of what we're looking at next year...") than Sweeney tells you in 15 minutes.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
i've just convinced myself they are losers and 2011 was pure luck so it makes things easier

The 2011 cast of characters had so much backbone and compete that it's hard to really compare it to now. If you couldn't score on that squad (and many couldn't), by god you could win a board battle, make the simple play, hit someone hard, see the long term vision that games are won on every single little smart play in a game. That's much better suited to 4 rounds of attrition than guys making limp backhand passes in the neutral zone thinking they can score their way out of any hole.

2011 was special. In a cup sim where 2011 gets to face any other cup team from the last 30 years, I'd think it could beat 4/5 teams in a best of 7.

Imagine the 2011 team against THIS team in a sim. Oof. That's like Florida on steroids. Might have been over in 5. Imagine Lucic, Chara, McQuaid, Boychuk, Ference, Soupy, etc against this group, Lol.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The 2011 cast of characters had so much backbone and compete that it's hard to really compare it to now. If you couldn't score on that squad (and many couldn't), by god you could win a board battle, make the simple play, hit someone hard, see the long term vision that games are won on every single little smart play in a game. That's much better suited to 4 rounds of attrition than guys making limp backhand passes in the neutral zone thinking they can score their way out of any hole.

2011 was special. In a cup sim where 2011 gets to face any other cup team from the last 30 years, I'd think it could beat 4/5 teams in a best of 7.

Imagine the 2011 team against THIS team in a sim. Oof. That's like Florida on steroids. Might have been over in 5. Imagine Lucic, Chara, McQuaid, Boychuk, Ference, Soupy, etc against this group, Lol.
I would suggest reading Shawn Thornton's book if you haven't. There were several different groups of players or "cliques" I guess you could say, and it made for a better team. The whole goalie hug and 20 guys on vacation together thing would not have happened back then.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd like him to tell us the plan. Who's he playing poker with? Everyone knows he has to clear cap space. Other GM's aren't afraid to say 'we want to get younger, or older or tougher or better in transition or in goal or behind the bench...'

I also would have liked someone to ask him why no college free agent signings? Did he pursue them and get no takers? Did he not pursue them because of contract slots or something.

Cam tells you more in 5 seconds ("Games 3 and 4 is probably a good indication of what we're looking at next year...") than Sweeney tells you in 15 minutes.

Sweeney talks in circles like a greasy politician.

Sorry but it's the truth. Talks a lot, says nothing of substance.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Why would you not rest him and potentially get him 5-6 days of additional rest if you close them out in game 5?

The coach didn't have the sack to be the coach, he let goalie Bob, Linus and Patrice tell him.

Pretty sure Bergeron was completely aware of the situation.

Consider that team was in the exact same spot as this one, round 1, game 7 at home in OT.

Reactions: bergeronsboys

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

The margin for calling a team special vs a team that gets labeled a choker is paper thin. When Montreal was up in the 1st series, there was plenty of talk here and in the Boston media about blowing up the team, firing the coach, Chara's leadership, Thomas too erratic, etc etc. Bruins needed historic level goaltending by Thomas and three Game 7's to finally win the Cup.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

You don't "rest" guys in the playoffs. If they are ready to go, you play them.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
The margin for calling a team special vs a team that gets labeled a choker is paper thin. When Montreal was up in the 1st series, there was plenty of talk here and in the Boston media about blowing up the team, firing the coach, Chara's leadership, Thomas too erratic, etc etc. Bruins needed historic level goaltending by Thomas and three Game 7's to finally win the Cup.

Sure, but nobody beat them 4 times. The end.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Sure, but nobody beat them 4 times. The end.

We all love the 11 team because they won. But let's not fool ourselves here - that win was unconventional. You can't expect to get that level of goaltending every playoff run. A lesser playoff performance by Thomas and that team gets bounced out by Montreal. Again, the margin here is paper thin to the point luck weighs in as a factor.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
We all love the 11 team because they won. But let's not fool ourselves here - that win was unconventional. You can't expect to get that level of goaltending every playoff run. A lesser playoff performance by Thomas and that team gets bounced out by Montreal. Again, the margin here is paper thin to the point luck weighs in as a factor.
The Ryder save and the crazy TT save against TB. Yep. Anomaly.

Reactions: PB37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad