Post-Game Talk: BRUINS End of Season Press Conference - Video and Transcript 5/9/23

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think it's interesting that people are looking at the Bruins as perennial losers, etc, when if you look at since the lockout in 2006 here are the teams that have made the Cup finals multiple times:

Pens 4 (3 wins)
Chicago 3 (3 wins)
TB 4 (2 wins)
LA 2 (2 win)
Bruins 3 (1 win)
Det 2 (1win)

There aren't that many... I feel like people overestimate how often a good team makes it to the final, let alone wins it all.

Not saying I'm not disappointed, but I think you also have to be somewhat realistic.

(corrected an error re LA and Chicago)
Bruins have a .333 winning percentage in Cups, which is not good compared to that list. This year shoulda made it 2 outta 4, but there is always next year.

Reactions: Gordoff

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
This season is exactly why teams never go ALL in. you need to be firing on all cylinders to get through. and we were not even close. Game 4 was the last time we had things on our terms. pretty sad. and it's the coaches and players fault. not the management.

Watching the Panthers, its fun (and infuriating) to see a team executing their gameplan more often than not. Not just responding to whatever your opposition brings.

Trying to be fast and first on the puck can go a long way. Their forecheck isn't some earth shattering big hits. It's get in there first with support. Every. time. Hard work can out perform the best team on paper. Clearly. NEVER f***in forget it

This isn't the first time we've sleptwalked in large moments. Figure out why and if there are any repeat offenders and address it. And yes, that could mean some hard truths.

Krejci can go. We don't need 2 quiet lead by example guys. And I've been a Krejci guy forever.
We need a loud lead by example guy that isn't Nick Foligno. One who can still play. Would love a ROR type. Just grit, grime, and grind. Someone who won't wilt under duress. (Not saying it's all Krejci's fault, I just think his time is up and it would be a natural departure)

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
flip that
Nah I stick with that. Monty sucks.

This season is exactly why teams never go ALL in. you need to be firing on all cylinders to get through. and we were not even close. Game 4 was the last time we had things on our terms. pretty sad. and it's the coaches and players fault. not the management.

Watching the Panthers, its fun (and infuriating) to see a team executing their gameplan more often than not. Not just responding to whatever your opposition brings.

Trying to be fast and first on the puck can go a long way. Their forecheck isn't some earth shattering big hits. It's get in there first with support. Every. time. Hard work can out perform the best team on paper. Clearly. NEVER f***in forget it

This isn't the first time we've sleptwalked in large moments. Figure out why and if there are any repeat offenders and address it. And yes, that could mean some hard truths.

Krejci can go. We don't need 2 quiet lead by example guys. And I've been a Krejci guy forever.
We need a loud lead by example guy that isn't Nick Foligno. One who can still play. Would love a ROR type. Just grit, grime, and grind. Someone who won't wilt under duress. (Not saying it's all Krejci's fault, I just think his time is up and it would be a natural departure)
Yea and If donny didnt go all in we would be saying firing donny!

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Nah I stick with that. Monty sucks.

Yea and If donny didnt go all in we would be saying firing donny!
Yeah, I don't know what else DS could've done. The only thing left was for the coaching staff to properly prepare the players, have a game plan etc. The only glaring hole with that was the PP. I had a (dumb) idea that maybe they were playing possum with the PP and were going to unleash the real deal in the playoffs. Me so stoooopid!

I f***in LOVE how they went all in. I just get why GMs don't always do it. Cause in hockey hard work out plays paper.
And it also outplays the bullshit of stats etc. to build a team. In the end stats didn't tell us this year or in 2019 that our players were scared of being hit and were IMO mentally a weee bit frazzled/fragile.

Last edited:

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Same. I was all in as well. I let myself be vulnerable just like with my first girlfriend. Both wound up breaking my heart. Such is life
Have to live it that way. Trying not to live life with a buncha woulda coulda shouldas. We f***in went for it and fell on our asses. Pick ourselves and be better next time. Hopefully there is a next time for Bergeron. If not welp, that's a shame.

TB won the cup the year after. Just sayin.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Frustrated as usual with Don Sweeney's canned responses.

What's your game plan for the summer? What are your priorities in the off-season? What can we do better? Are you interested in bringing any UFA's back?

He just repeats the same answer over and over, same one he gave last year and the year before... "We're going to look at everything. We like who we have. We'd love to have everyone back. We'll see where it goes...."

Someone did ask him specifically about cap flexibility and he admitted he would pursue that.

I don't know I just don't get why he's not more forthcoming. He obviously did a great job this year. He's been GM of the Year before and could win it again. Why not share your thoughts? It's like he doesn't like the media or the fans and begrudges having to tell us anything.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Decided to stay away from the boards for a bit after the loss as it was inevitably going to be more toxic than that vat the Joker threw his bride into and no goodness comes from that...

Mgmt gave this core the best chance in a decade to go deep and have a legit shot. The players and the coaching staff in that order f***ed this up. Putting aside the midseason crisis with the stupid signing of that D guy, mgmt did everything one would want as a fan to go for a run. Not one of those trades was a killer given the assets and depth back assuming it was going for it. This is totally on the players and coaches behind the dashers...

No issue at all for me on how any of the mgmt treated and responded to the presser aside Monty. Monty disappointed with his Linus and Bergie comments as it was clear for me at least that he was afraid to make a move / change and put team performance first. That plus his mindboggling line mixups in the playoffs was for me just stupid and counterproductive as it forced the guys to learn to play together, and on top of that, learn to counter what FLA was doing. Just stupid given the production and lines over the season.

These guys had an amazing regular season and unfortunately choked in the "real season". I like that Sweeney wasn't afraid to say changes will come and they will pivot to a new core as it is time.

Anyhow, most of the guys are already catching rays on a beach somewhere so I see that as my best course of action until the next season starts - energy and emotion is best spent elsewhere and tomorrow is a new day..

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
Here's how I feel:
Being from a family with 17 brothers and sisters, all leaf fans but for a black sheep habs fan, and Dad was a leaf fan... I'll take our last 15 years over the leafs last (hell, even their next) 15 years. We've been in the top. Not many other teams have... I'm happy with what this team accomplished!

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think it's interesting that people are looking at the Bruins as perennial losers, etc, when if you look at since the lockout in 2006 here are the teams that have made the Cup finals multiple times:

Pens 4 (3 wins)
Chicago 3 (3 wins)
TB 4 (2 wins)
LA 2 (2 win)
Bruins 3 (1 win)
Det 2 (1win)

There aren't that many... I feel like people overestimate how often a good team makes it to the final, let alone wins it all.

Not saying I'm not disappointed, but I think you also have to be somewhat realistic.

(corrected an error re LA and Chicago)
How do the Bruins compare to those teams in that time frame in 1st round winning percentage?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
How do the Bruins compare to those teams in that time frame in 1st round winning percentage?
Penguins - 1 miss, 7 first round exits
Hawks - 7 misses, 5 first round exits
TB - 6 misses, 4 first round exits
LA - 9 Misses, 5 first round exits
BOS - 4 Misses, 4 first round exits
Det - 6 Misses , 4 first round exits

So if using my arbitrary goalpost of making the 2nd round the Bs are tied with the Pens since the 2005-6 season as least un-successful. Also, looking at this, LA was only *good* for 3 seasons, but they pretty much maxed that out. And Chicago was really "only" on top for 7 seasons, with 2 first round exits in that time.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
To me it’s as simple as this. The team wanted to play regular season games in the playoffs and never decided to up the intensity. Barely any checking, barely any crashing the net, barely any scrums that were started by a Bruin. They tried to play another day at the office and lost.

The other thing I take from Shorsey “They don’t hate to lose” One big thing with the 2011 team is if they knew they were going to lose they made damn sure the other team know to expect a fight and they started scrums, hard checks. Just showed they were pissed to lose. This team just rolled over and showed thier belly instead.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The other thing I take from Shorsey “They don’t hate to lose” One big thing with the 2011 team is if they knew they were going to lose they made damn sure the other team know to expect a fight and they started scrums, hard checks. Just showed they were pissed to lose. This team just rolled over and showed thier belly instead.
Shorsey?

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I liked that Monty owned it.

My confidence in him is still shaken from his playoff performance but I respect him for stepping up and owning his mistakes.
I'm still pissed at Monty...

..and Ullmark ..and Essensa

..and McAvoy ..and Clifton

..and Lindholm ..and Forbort

..and Frederic ..and Foligno

..and just about everybody else on the B's not named Marchand, Hall or Bertuzzi

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I'm still pissed at Monty...

..and Ullmark ..and Essensa

..and McAvoy ..and Clifton

..and Lindholm ..and Forbort

..and Frederic ..and Foligno

..and just about everybody else on the B's not named Marchand, Hall or Bertuzzi
What was so great about Hall? He had 1 really good game but when push came to shove in the last 3 games he wasn't exactly leading the way either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad