Bruins D in 2 years?

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
I have never said I don't like SEIDS....I do like Boychuck better and he is better. I think Seids was just a decent DMAN till he got lucky enough to play with Chara....he guy was never thought of as a top 3 dman till that happened. He has played for a few teams I think. IMO, we just don't need him with Dougie just about to be a big minutes guy....What does he do that is so great ? Does he open ice hit like Johhny NO.....Does he play on the PP...? No....He is solid, take Chara away and he becomes what he was...Ordinary. If we can trade him to keep Johhny it is a no brainer inmy mind...And if we can dump Kelly with him....And the cap goes up a few mill....Then we can have ten mill for the WING and the Bigtime Dman we need....That's all I think.

The Bruins and Chiarelli got a good, extended look at Seidenberg the year the Canes knocked the B's out of the playoffs. Seidenberg logged the 3rd most ice time for Carolina dmen that series, behind only Corvo and Pitkanen. So he's been a de facto #3 before. I realize you could also make the claim that Corvo's been a #2 but we've both seen each player and know that's disingenuous.

The Krejci injury in the '10 playoffs hurt, but also lost in that was Seidenberg going down with the wrist laceration late in the season and missing those playoffs. I personally thought any hopes for a Cup this season went out the window when he got hurt. So twice in the last 4 seasons a relatively disappointing early exit in the playoffs has coincided with a Seidenberg injury.

I'd also argue, and I know from talking with people that I'm not alone, that there were long stretches of the '11 Cup run where Seidenberg was actually playing better than Chara.

Seidenberg's stock might have risen when playing with Chara, but that's true of any player who gets a lot of ice time with a great. He's an excellent, excellent defenseman regardless of Chara IMO. One of the quiet lynchpins on the team if you ask me. He might not recover well from the leg injury, remains to be seen. I'd certainly wait and see before I discarded him though. Not only has he earned that right, you could also irreparably (in the short term at least) damage the team shipping him out prematurely.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I have seen some of your trade proposals on the trade board.....They are kind of one way shocking. But If it is your opinion the BRUINS are trading Johnny Boychuck then I guess I will have to respect that opinion. I easily disagree...but I respect your right to think it. As wrong as it will be.

And if I remember correctly one of your first posts on this board was wanting to trade Lucic? No doubt.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
The Bruins and Chiarelli got a good, extended look at Seidenberg the year the Canes knocked the B's out of the playoffs. Seidenberg logged the 3rd most ice time for Carolina dmen that series, behind only Corvo and Pitkanen. So he's been a de facto #3 before. I realize you could also make the claim that Corvo's been a #2 but we've both seen each player and know that's disingenuous.

The Krejci injury in the '10 playoffs hurt, but also lost in that was Seidenberg going down with the wrist laceration late in the season and missing those playoffs. I personally thought any hopes for a Cup this season went out the window when he got hurt. So twice in the last 4 seasons a relatively disappointing early exit in the playoffs has coincided with a Seidenberg injury.

I'd also argue, and I know from talking with people that I'm not alone, that there were long stretches of the '11 Cup run where Seidenberg was actually playing better than Chara.

Seidenberg's stock might have risen when playing with Chara, but that's true of any player who gets a lot of ice time with a great. He's an excellent, excellent defenseman regardless of Chara IMO. One of the quiet lynchpins on the team if you ask me. He might not recover well from the leg injury, remains to be seen. I'd certainly wait and see before I discarded him though. Not only has he earned that right, you could also irreparably (in the short term at least) damage the team shipping him out prematurely.
I thought Seidenberg was our best player in the 2012 loss to Washington.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
enough.
Maybe we are just different kind of fans.....? For me game 6 is not good enough. See for me, CUP wins are lasting. You can watch the game six tapes all you want if it makes you feel good. More power to ya. As for me, My team lost and Then when I ask why to myself and evaluate what I think is the reason it was because our D was not mobile or quick enough....That's at full strength....Now two years later they are older and one is coming off major knee surgery.....

You want to live in the past with a D that is not good enough...Especially since our team philosophy is defense first....Be my guest pal. As a fan of the team, A guy who has not missed a single game in 12-14 years......And as a guy who watches the whole league. This D aint good enough. If you think so, then you can be the fan you are.....I have my own opinions and your comments mean nothing to me when presented in this manner. Give me some substance pal....Then maybe I can consider a hockey point.

Try to think about how only getting to game 6 of the finals does not prove that a certain component of that team cannot possibly win a Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I personally think the forward group needs more of a shakeup than the D and Rask will have to be better in next year's playoffs.

exactly.

everyone is worried about the D and talking about how our D needs more speed better puck handlers better skaters etc etc etc.

Try applying that logic to the forwards first.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
exactly.

everyone is worried about the D and talking about how our D needs more speed better puck handlers better skaters etc etc etc.

Try applying that logic to the forwards first.

With Krug, Hamilton, and even Bartkowski, the Bruins haven't had a faster defence, and better puck handlers (well minus Bart out of that last one) in recent memory. Bruins are slow up front, subtracting Peverley, Seguin and even Horton (who had better wheels than Iginla) made our forward group very slow.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Could see a dark horse like Trotman make the club in a couple years. There's no shortage of speed with kids like Hamilton, Krug, warsofski, and morrow but they will be missing a little size and thump if/when boychuck moves on.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Could see a dark horse like Trotman make the club in a couple years. There's no shortage of speed with kids like Hamilton, Krug, warsofski, and morrow but they will be missing a little size and thump if/when boychuck moves on.

Similar to Bart (starting now in his case), Trotman's 2015-16 season is a one-way contract so the Bruins plan to fish or cut bait by then. And, by then, Boychuk will have crossed his UFA threshold (whether they extend, trade or let him walk).

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
With Krug, Hamilton, and even Bartkowski, the Bruins haven't had a faster defence, and better puck handlers (well minus Bart out of that last one) in recent memory. Bruins are slow up front, subtracting Peverley, Seguin and even Horton (who had better wheels than Iginla) made our forward group very slow.

Pretty much what I was saying.

The point being if you want quick speedy d-men you better have quick speedy forwards to complement them.

I think quick forwards work well with slower more physical defense... but for some reason I dont think quick defensmen work as well with slower forwards.

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

In hindsight losing those three made us slower but was that the reason we lost to Montreal? I am not so sure,we were fast enough to finish first overall in the regular season and I know the playoffs are different but had Krejci ,Marchand,Rask,Chara played up to their capabilities I am not sure team speed would have been an issue,at least against Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad