Confirmed with Link: Bruins cut ties with Mitchell Miller( MOD warning post 410)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Statement from Bruins President Cam Neely:

"Today the Boston Bruins have decided to part ways with Mitchell Miller, effective immediately.

The decision to sign this young man was made after careful consideration of the facts as we were aware of them: that at 14-years-old he made a poor decision that led to a juvenile conviction. We understood this to be an isolated incident and that he had taken meaningful action to reform and was committed to ongoing personal development. Based on that understanding we offered him a contract.

Based on new information, we believe it is the best decision at this time to rescind the opportunity for Mitchell Miller to represent the Boston Bruins. We hope that he continues to work with professionals and programs to further his education and personal growth.

We owe it to our fans, players, staff, partners and community to make sure that our practices and protocols are in keeping with the ethos that we demand from ourselves and as an organization. As such, we will be reevaluating our internal processes for vetting individuals who wish to earn the privilege of playing in the National Hockey League for the Boston Bruins.

We are sorry that this decision has overshadowed the incredible work the members of our organization do to support diversity and inclusion efforts. We will continue to stand against bullying and racism in all of its forms.

To Isaiah and his family, my deepest apologies if this signing made you and other victims feel unseen and unheard. We apologize for the deep hurt and impact we have caused.

Finally, as a father, I think there is a lesson to be learned here for other young people. Be mindful of careless behaviors and going with the group mentality of hurting others. The repercussions can be felt for a lifetime."

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
there was a report I read also where even though they were in separate schools, high schools, theyvwere at a tootball game I believe.
Allegedly, by many, Miller saw him in the crowd and started abusing him. Other Seniors interrupted it and told him to gtfo of there.

I read the same thing.

The mother of the victim said it would have been a perfect opportunity to apologize face to face and begin the healing process. Instead Miller taunted him, and a school admin (or at least some third party there) had to get him to leave the area.

Anyway thankfully he's gone.

Last edited:

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
I read the same thing.

The mother of the victim said it would have been a perfect opportunity to apologize face to face and begin the healing process. Instead Miller taunted him, and a school admin had to get him to leave the area.

Anyway thankfully he's gone.
If he did it when he was 18, he would be subject to arrest as an adult. Even today.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
How silly do the ppl who vigorously defended this signing look after that statement?

Imagine spending an entire 2 days trying to convince us he’s accountable and then the org comes out with a statement saying he lied to them. It’s f***ing scrumptious

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
How silly do the ppl who vigorously defended this signing look after that statement?

Imagine spending an entire 2 days trying to convince us he’s accountable and then the org comes out with a statement saying he lied to them. It’s f***ing scrumptious

There was no lying this was all common knowledge and the Bruins vetted it and signed off.

It was a bad decision and maybe they had no other choice but to cut bait. We live in a society where everyone is Dan Shaugnessey and needs to destroy every athlete and their character for shits and giggles.

• Haha
Reactions: EverettMike

toria13

Sep 18, 2019
it's about time, but shameful it even got to this point

I hope they are planning on following up their statement with a substantial donation to organizations fighting bullying, racism and ableism

(and you know actually consequences for the people who thought this was a good idea)

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Glad both he, and our management both get to be publicly humiliated and embarrassed for this entire process.

It's the right move but it never should have been necessary. Hope someone gets more than just this embarrassment.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
I hope the people in the organization who this compromised receive personal apologies from management too.

Absolute embarrassment.

Reactions: CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad