Boston Bruins Bruins Clinch 2024 Playoff spot - The B's have made the playoffs every year since 2017 the longest streak in the NHL

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
We've overperformed greatly this year for a bridge year (and I still am calling it a bridge year).

I don't expect much. Call me pessimistic but I don't see Pavel Zacha as a 1st line center leading us to glory, but I suck at predictions. Won't stop me from rooting hard for them come April.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB

Boston Bruins – 29 seasons (1967-68 to 1995-96)​

The Boston Bruins currently own the NHL record for longest playoff streak, qualifying for the postseason in 29 consecutive seasons.
Those we the days.

Reactions: JAD and MoffatMan

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

Boston Bruins – 29 seasons (1967-68 to 1995-96)​

The Boston Bruins currently own the NHL record for longest playoff streak, qualifying for the postseason in 29 consecutive seasons.
Those we the days.
Not likely to see this kind of record again with salary cap and parity in the league.

Reactions: Gordoff

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
We've overperformed greatly this year for a bridge year (and I still am calling it a bridge year).

I don't expect much. Call me pessimistic but I don't see Pavel Zacha as a 1st line center leading us to glory, but I suck at predictions. Won't stop me from rooting hard for them come April.
Bridge year to what? There is nothing on the other side. FA?

This was an almost puzzle in my view. Donny didn't pay attention to the last pieces or fail to.

Had all season to bring in a center via trade or other means but he failed. He hung his hat on an over achieving Coyle, and now I prey on every face-off in the d zone he takes doesn't end up in our net.

It's not Coyle fault he is what he is but it would have been nice to bring in a guy that was reliable in that department.

Reactions: Gordoff

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

This was an almost puzzle in my view. Donny didn't pay attention to the last pieces or fail to.

Had all season to bring in a center via trade or other means but he failed. He hung his hat on an over achieving Coyle, and now I prey on every face-off in the d zone he takes doesn't end up in our net.

It's not Coyle fault he is what he is but it would have been nice to bring in a guy that was reliable in that department.

With what cap space were they going to fit a #1 center?

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

I hear you , but not sure what Donnie had to work with to get a #1 center. I'm terrible with trades and player value, but they have no draft picks worth anything. Historically this team is built from the net out, so I don't think they are trading any of their top 3-4 D'men. Of Possible players to trade :
Ulmark, Zacha, Coyle, Gryz, Debrusk, and Frederic, what of that package is going to get you a #1 center, and that another team won't outbid you for ?

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Congrats! I was a complete pessimist about this team before the start of the season ... I asked Bobby Orr when I saw him at a music festival late last summer "will the Bruins even make the playoffs this year" ...his reply was "Yeah, they have too much talent not to make it" ....Bobby Orr knows hockey ....didn't ask him if they'd win a playoff series though ...should have ...but they have made believers of me that they can win at least one series

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
100 years, 6 Cups, all this is a chance and a pretty small one this year. Florida and the Rangers look like the class of the east. Maybe they get to the second round which is not good enough, lots of work to do in the off season, adding more grit, more leadership, more speed, more scoring and a tougher D.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Look at team point totals, lots of very good teams.
Sure a team may be favored in the playoffs, but so much can happen in a series, or the further you go along.

1. Offense can dry up. This is the B's biggest possibility, but can happen to any team.
  2. Goalie can get super hot. This is the B's best possibility.
  3. Starting Goalie can get hurt. Doesn't affect Boston at all, 2 great goalies, although past playoff history is not so favorable for Ulmark.
  4. Wear and tear and Injuries to players. Playoffs is a marathon. B's good in Goalie, bottom pairing D, and bottom 6 O. B's cannot afford any top 6 O injuries.
Winning a round is never guarenteed for any club.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I hear you , but not sure what Donnie had to work with to get a #1 center. I'm terrible with trades and player value, but they have no draft picks worth anything. Historically this team is built from the net out, so I don't think they are trading any of their top 3-4 D'men. Of Possible players to trade :
Ulmark, Zacha, Coyle, Gryz, Debrusk, and Frederic, what of that package is going to get you a #1 center, and that another team won't outbid you for ?
I was really thinking about a center that was reliable to take important draws

With what cap space were they going to fit a #1 center?
Didn't say number one center, a center that could win face offs.

Its going to cost them a game or two

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

#1 center, #100 center, who cares? The Bruins had $50K in cap space, you aren't getting a traffic cone to play center for that.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
To the best of my knowledge, Elias Lindholm will be the best center available this offseason in free agency. He is better than anyone on the Bruins' roster at present, and with the cap-space I've heard will be available, the Bruins MUST sign him.

Otherwise, a trade must be made. Number 1 centers are expensive, and it will absolutely cost the Bruins dearly. Ullmark will assuredly be part of any deal the Bruins make. The question is; who else? You have to give up something to get something. For a LEGIT superstar center, or the draft pick necessary to get one, it will likely be Ullmark + McAvoy + ???.

Those are the Bruins' options. I like to think Sweeney knows this, but who really knows what goes on down there on Causeway Street. I've often wondered what Cam Neely and Don Sweeney actually do all day... Or Chuckie Jacobs, for that matter.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I was really thinking about a center that was reliable to take important draws

Its going to cost them a game or two
So someone who would come to mind as an archetype of what you’re asking for would be Anthony Cirelli - a dog defensively, big game player, ups his game in the playoffs. Not that he’s available, but that type of guy I would think

49% career faceoff percentage. 46% in the playoffs.

There is zero correlation of faceoff percentage to wins, in the regular season or playoffs.

I know you really don’t like Coyle, but harping on faceoffs is a fools errand.

BTW Coyle has a 48% career FO% in the reg and the playoffs.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
To the best of my knowledge, Elias Lindholm will be the best center available this offseason in free agency. He is better than anyone on the Bruins' roster at present, and with the cap-space I've heard will be available, the Bruins MUST sign him.

Otherwise, a trade must be made. Number 1 centers are expensive, and it will absolutely cost the Bruins dearly. Ullmark will assuredly be part of any deal the Bruins make. The question is; who else? You have to give up something to get something. For a LEGIT superstar center, or the draft pick necessary to get one, it will likely be Ullmark + McAvoy + ???.

Those are the Bruins' options. I like to think Sweeney knows this, but who really knows what goes on down there on Causeway Street. I've often wondered what Cam Neely and Don Sweeney actually do all day... Or Chuckie Jacobs, for that matter.
He’s not better than anyone on the Bruins roster. 9 points in 22 games for Vancouver. Career year when he had Gaudreau actually playing hard and Tkachuk breaking out. And he turns 30 in December. At a good price? Sure. At 7x$7M or similar? GTFO.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
So someone who would come to mind as an archetype of what you’re asking for would be Anthony Cirelli - a dog defensively, big game player, ups his game in the playoffs. Not that he’s available, but that type of guy I would think

49% career faceoff percentage. 46% in the playoffs.

There is zero correlation of faceoff percentage to wins, in the regular season or playoffs.

I know you really don’t like Coyle, but harping on faceoffs is a fools errand.

BTW Coyle has a 48% career FO% in the reg and the playoffs.
As Sanderson once said its not how many its when you win them. Coyle is doing the best he can, its nothing to do with him personally. But to say it has no correlation to winning or losing is just flat out wrong.

Its magnified in the playoffs especially in the D zone.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
He’s not better than anyone on the Bruins roster. 9 points in 22 games for Vancouver. Career year when he had Gaudreau actually playing hard and Tkachuk breaking out. And he turns 30 in December. At a good price? Sure. At 7x$7M or similar? GTFO.
Sportsnet has him ranked as the top FA center this offseason.

I'd like to hear your suggestions for what the Bruins should do to address the 1C issue. Enlighten me...

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad