GDT: Bruins @ Capitals 7 PM 9/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Thoughts: liked barber, liked the third, liked AJF on the pk.

Disliked: all the odd rushes, our passing, constantly feeding 2 on the pp. although I guess it was practice for when 8 is there

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Johansen can and has played both sides. Hobbs is probably easily the most skilled but Johansen's skating at this stage sets him apart. The all-around hockey IQ and strength, though, still don't altogether play. I don't think I've ever been terribly impressed by any of the three in pre-season games to the point where you wonder if they have outgrown the AHL. The same still goes for all of the Hershey forwards battling for a spot (and all of the new ones joining them up front this season IMO). Maybe some of them can hack it for a while and maybe even gain confidence and develop from there but to me you'd either like to see more consistency, better tools and/or better flashes of upside.

It's early but it's still probably Boyd/Dowd for the last two forward spots. Barber had a good night but I don't know that he's what the fourth-line needs. AJF comes closest to bringing the skill set to be a quick, trusted 200 foot player ala Stephenson but may need time to work on his touches. Boyd & Dowd are pretty fringe IMO but if Dowd can win draws against vets I'm guessing that wins the last spot. Ho hum.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Really like Alexeyev, most of those D may be interchangeable but he’s blue chip, carries that size very well

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Spade

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
It's bothering me that all three Division Championship banners aren't next to one another.
They should be next to each other for sure, but at the Medstar Capitals Iceplex hanging from the rafters there and not at the Capital One Arena. Said it before and I'll say it again, should just have SC banner and the President's Cup banner hanging but I'll compromise on the Conference banner (as they're comparable to league pennants in baseball). Division banners are a joke!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They should be next to each other for sure, but at the Medstar Capitals Iceplex hanging from the rafters there and not at the Capital One Arena. Said it before and I'll say it again, should just have SC banner and the President's Cup banner hanging but I'll compromise on the Conference banner (as they're comparable to league pennants in baseball). Division banners are a joke!

4732.jpg

flyers-banners-wells-fargo-center-philadelphia.jpg

manhattan-new-york-usa-2nd-mar-2014-march-02-2014-the-new-york-rangers-DW8WTK.jpg

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Seem to recall that it wasn't that long ago that you mockingly posted photos of the WNBA Mystics Attendance banners as well. Celebrating that you finished ahead of four other teams that were in your division, i.e. the old Southeast Division is weak and bordering on participation trophy territory.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I will absolutely mock stupid banners like WNBA attendance banners (or the Billy Joel sellout banners that hang in MSG and the Wachovia Center). Division titles are a team accomplishment that are celebrated by some of the more storied franchsies in the NHL. They aren't mandatory by any means, but I do quite like the way the Capitals have them displayed (condensed into banners with multiple years on them).

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I will absolutely mock stupid banners like WNBA attendance banners (or the Billy Joel sellout banners that hang in MSG and the Wachovia Center). Division titles are a team accomplishment that are celebrated by some of the more storied franchsies in the NHL. They aren't mandatory by any means, but I do quite like the way the Capitals have them displayed (condensed into banners with multiple years on them).

Agreed, I don't like the way the Redwings have them scattered all over as individual banners. Conference/Division/President trophy etc.. all condensed listing the years looks good to me. Also I like listing a Division titles.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Man if only Alan May could replace Laughlin the Caps would have the most perfect organization ever.

I am so tired of turning the sound down on games year after year. :(

Laughlin has a bad voice and he is a homer, but the guy absolutely eats, breaths, and sleeps hockey. Hockey is his whole reason for existence, and how can you not love that?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
To me he is like Dick Vitale. You love his energy and love for the game. And its fun for like 5-10 minutes. But then you just want him to shut up.

:nod:

Laughlin has a bad voice and he is a homer, but the guy absolutely eats, breaths, and sleeps hockey. Hockey is his whole reason for existence, and how can you not love that?

Because he has a bad voice and he is a homer. ;)

I could probably live with the homer part, he is not as bad as most of them (Bolts, Isles I'm looking at you), but his voice is just too much. Plus I am huge May fan and I know we would get honest takes on things both good and bad.

When you watch guys who do it right, the Blues guys come to mind, it is really noticeable.

This is just a nitpick, I still watch every game but I really do turn the sound down to like 3 volume level. Also, I eat sleep and breathe hockey but it doesn't mean I should be calling games for an NHL team.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
WOAH! I'm from Brooklyn originally. You're crossing the line when you're bringing Billy Joel into this.

national_treasure_tropic_thunder.gif

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I love Locker. He's a shameless Caps fan, but he's a hockey fan and will praise other teams and players when deserved. His voice bothers me not at all. And of course, JoeB is top 5 in the league for PBP.

I’m with you. I grew up watching him play and I’m growing old listening to his color commentary. He’s a homer but he’s our homer.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This is correct, however he looked really lost last year when they tried him a few games at RD. No clue if that was a coaching issue or if he's only comfortable playing LD
It is more difficult to move the puck playing your offside. It is also more difficult to keep pucks in the offensive zone. That's why alot of coaches dont like playing their dmen on the wrong side.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad