Proposal: Bruins Canucks Flyers

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Read an article Bruins looking to improve wing position and Flyers in my opinion need help on D. The Canucks well we need help everywhere. Was thinking this deal might help all three clubs.

Bruins send Backes who has a NMC that would need to be considered to Flyers and Carlo to the the Canucks. Flyers send Simmonds to the Bruins and Lehtera to the Canucks. Canucks send Tanev to the Flyers and Sutter to the Bruins.

Bruins get a top 6 winger and Sutter moves to 3C however they lose Carlo but are trading from a position of strength to improve a weakness. The Flyers dump Lehtera who has been a flop and improve him with Backes and Tanev certainly improves the D. The Canucks get Carlo who certainly helps them moving forward and Lehtera is a cap dump to help facilitate the deal.

This also would have to include an extension for Simmonds as well however other wise is value even in ball park?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Flyers don't want Backes. Lehtera is done this year whereas Backes has 3 more years. He also has a NMC so would need to be protected for the expected ED draft. Not wasting a space on him.

Give the Flyers a useful, cheap 3rd line C or RW instead.
I see your reasoning. What would it take from Canucks to get Simmonds who extended would be flipped for Carlo. We have Sutter and Baertschi that I'd be ready to send plus would even take back Lehtera as a dump would that be reasonable?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I see your reasoning. What would it take from Canucks to get Simmonds who extended would be flipped for Carlo. We have Sutter and Baertschi that I'd be ready to send plus would even take back Lehtera as a dump would that be reasonable?
Is this in addition to Tanev?

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Read an article Bruins looking to improve wing position and Flyers in my opinion need help on D. The Canucks well we need help everywhere. Was thinking this deal might help all three clubs.

Bruins send Backes who has a NMC that would need to be considered to Flyers and Carlo to the the Canucks. Flyers send Simmonds to the Bruins and Lehtera to the Canucks. Canucks send Tanev to the Flyers and Sutter to the Bruins.

Bruins get a top 6 winger and Sutter moves to 3C however they lose Carlo but are trading from a position of strength to improve a weakness. The Flyers dump Lehtera who has been a flop and improve him with Backes and Tanev certainly improves the D. The Canucks get Carlo who certainly helps them moving forward and Lehtera is a cap dump to help facilitate the deal.

This also would have to include an extension for Simmonds as well however other wise is value even in ball park?

Flyers don't need D ! That's been covered a billion times in here. Why in god's name would they want Backes' contract tho , especially when they have to keep that contract for 3 more years because of that NMC ?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I think the article you read is off.

The B's need Carlo more than they need help on the wing.

Thus, no deal.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Flyers don't need D ! That's been covered a billion times in here. Why in god's name would they want Backes' contract tho , especially when they have to keep that contract for 3 more years because of that NMC ?
Wow they gave him a NMC? That will hurt in the expansion draft.

Flyers don’t need D. Maybe if you trade a few and consolidate for the expansion draft, but I think they will be ok there too. Flyers best bet is to do nothing.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Flyers have cap room and money to just forget about Lehtera. We also do not need Backes horrible contract and contently not for someone like simmonds. Flat out horrible.

Reactions: AnimalFear

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This is terrible for Boston. Carlo is a young Top 4 defenseman who is still on his ELC, and even coming off it shouldn't see a massive increase in pay. We're giving up that type of player for possibly a year of Wayne Simmonds? Pass.... Carlo isn't even close to entering his prime. I'm not for giving that away for a soon-to-be 30+ UFA winger who has seen a decrease in production over the last 3 years, relies heavily on the PP for production, and is going to be looking for the deal that you just dealt in Backes. Bruins need to stay away from power-wingers entering their 30's. Backes hasn't fallen off a cliff yet, despite the belief of some, but he could by the end of the deal. They already had a fail with Beleskey, who just turned 30 and is now in New York, because he was so bad (injuries + fat/happy contract). No need to try again.

Keep Carlo. Keep Backes for the 3 more years (or trade him to a team who wants to reach the floor. Someone out there could find him desirable with his 11M in actual salary owed over the next 3 seasons = ~ 3,7M). No to this deal though.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Who h as been decreasing production, Simmonds, for the last 3 years... ha ha ha.. ? The f*** you smoking in Boston..? What a dumb thing to say.
Simmonds is nowhere near declining and has had ONE injured season, last year.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Carlo for Simmonds? Noooo thanks.
Maybe Simmonds 3-4 years ago. Simmonds is a UFA after this season and I’m sure looking to cash in huge. Power forwards don’t age well, and he’s over 30 years old.

Carlo is a puppy who is in Bruins control for a long time

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Flyers don't want Backes. Lehtera is done this year whereas Backes has 3 more years. He also has a NMC so would need to be protected for the expected ED draft. Not wasting a space on him.

Backes moves to limited NTC July 1st, not a must protect.

He also come next July 1st will be owed 2x2.5 in real salary. Bruins will deal him to a non-cap team. 40 point physical winger for 2.5 in real money is a solid deal if you don’t care about cap hit.

Obviously Flyers do care about cap hit, so bad match.

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Any phone call that starts with Backes should end any conversation for the Flyers.... The monies owed and cap hit may be attractive for the Coyotes if paired with an asset. The Flyers need not to move Lehtera, while he's painful to watch his contract is gone at the end of the year.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Carlo for Simmonds? Noooo thanks.
Maybe Simmonds 3-4 years ago. Simmonds is a UFA after this season and I’m sure looking to cash in huge. Power forwards don’t age well, and he’s over 30 years old.

Carlo is a puppy who is in Bruins control for a long time

This is completely wrong. Simmonds's best season was 2015-16, he was banged up all of this year, and he is 29.

Reactions: AnimalFear

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

While I believe Simmonds is very available. Hextall made it clear during free agency that he wasn’t signing any vets to block young kids coming up. That’s probably the only reason a scrub like Lehtera isn’t waved . He is vet depth that expires this year.
I believe Hextall passed on the 3C free agents because they all want to three year deals so I doubt they trade for Backes.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
This is completely wrong. Simmonds's best season was 2015-16, he was banged up all of this year, and he is 29.
He’ll be 30 before the preseason starts.

Who said anything about his best season?

Someone will hand Simmonds a long term contract and regret it. Just look at Lucic in Edmonton, or Backes in Boston. Power forwards don’t age well

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

you may be right or wrong about some of what you say... the backes nmc expires after this year

I don't think backes future lies on a cap maxed team. the real dollars owed to him his final 2 seasons is just 5 mill. he will finish his career on a team that doesn't spend to the max and where his cap hit doesn't matter

I don't believe that will be philly

I do think the original trade could be a lot more simple

is carlo for Simmonds a trade either philly or boston would like?

there would obviously need to be a contract extension for Simmonds. boston cant trade a top 4 dman for a 1 year rental

to make the trade a bit easier for boston… I propose

carlo
Heinen
conditional boston 3rd pick based on Simmonds resigning
for
Simmonds
Andrew McDonald {1/2 retained} making him a 2.5 mill cap hit
philly 2nd round pick

if Simmonds does resign I could live with this from boston. I do think hes the best player in the trade. I think boston can get by with McAvoy/kevan miller as the anchors on their right side defense. I do feel Andrew McDonald could be a good partner for krug and 1/2 cap hit would be affordable for boston the next couple years

carlo might become the next chris tanev but even if he does... hes not untradable. getting Simmonds would make carlo expendable. one thing about trading for a winger it creates even a greater logjam on the wing. that's why im willing to send back Heinen

basically the trade is carlo for Simmonds... and Heinen for the second and McDonald... and bostons pick is just to balance it in case Simmonds resigns

so a win for philly if Simmonds doesn't resign... more balance if he does but a slight win for boston

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
you may be right or wrong about some of what you say... the backes nmc expires after this year

I don't think backes future lies on a cap maxed team. the real dollars owed to him his final 2 seasons is just 5 mill. he will finish his career on a team that doesn't spend to the max and where his cap hit doesn't matter

I don't believe that will be philly

I do think the original trade could be a lot more simple

is carlo for Simmonds a trade either philly or boston would like?

there would obviously need to be a contract extension for Simmonds. boston cant trade a top 4 dman for a 1 year rental

to make the trade a bit easier for boston… I propose

carlo
Heinen
conditional boston 3rd pick based on Simmonds resigning
for
Simmonds
Andrew McDonald {1/2 retained} making him a 2.5 mill cap hit
philly 2nd round pick

if Simmonds does resign I could live with this from boston. I do think hes the best player in the trade. I think boston can get by with McAvoy/kevan miller as the anchors on their right side defense. I do feel Andrew McDonald could be a good partner for krug and 1/2 cap hit would be affordable for boston the next couple years

carlo might become the next chris tanev but even if he does... hes not untradable. getting Simmonds would make carlo expendable. one thing about trading for a winger it creates even a greater logjam on the wing. that's why im willing to send back Heinen

basically the trade is carlo for Simmonds... and Heinen for the second and McDonald... and bostons pick is just to balance it in case Simmonds resigns

so a win for philly if Simmonds doesn't resign... more balance if he does but a slight win for boston

This seems like a pretty easy one from Philly, so im going to assume Boston wont like it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah I would do that from a Flyers standpoint.

Giroux Couts Konecny
JVR Patrick Voracek
Lindblom Frost Heinen

Provy Carlo
Ghost Gudas
Sanheim Myers
Morin/Hagg

Gudas only has 2 years left in his deal and next summer, gets traded and Morin steps into the lineup and run with:

Provy Carlo
Sanheim Myers
Morin Ghost
Hagg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad