Proposal: Bruins Canucks Flyers

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Why the heck would the Bruins ever consider trading Carlo? They wouldn't.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Yeah just a tad bit overboard with that one.

Carlo is a good young Dman. In no way do I think he'll be a "star", nevermind a "superstar".

And for what it's worth, his ELC ends after this year, so while that contract has value, we can assume he'll be making 2m-2.5m a year from now.

Reactions: Tripod

Evergreen

He’ll be 30 before the preseason starts.

Who said anything about his best season?

Someone will hand Simmonds a long term contract and regret it. Just look at Lucic in Edmonton, or Backes in Boston. Power forwards don’t age well
1. 29 going on 30 is not “over 30.”
2. The poster said Simmonds has been declining for 3 years, which in inccurate because his best season was two years ago.
3. You may be correct about Simmonds’ next contract being a risky one.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
DMen with future superstar potential on ELC's are very expensive.

Carlos would cost a ton

While I like Carlo, I don't think "Future superstar potential" and "Carlo" should be used in the same breath. Carlo seems to have the upside of a solid 2nd pairing defensive anchor. Maybe as Carlo progresses, he could develop a little more and be a defenseman that could compliment a legit #1 on a top pairing. Kind of like what Boychuk was to Chara. Nowhere do I see him growing into a future superstar though. I don't think he'll ever produce the offense to meet that type of potential.

Reactions: Tim Vezina Thomas

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He’ll be 30 before the preseason starts.

Who said anything about his best season?

Someone will hand Simmonds a long term contract and regret it. Just look at Lucic in Edmonton, or Backes in Boston. Power forwards don’t age well

1. 29 going on 30 is not “over 30.”
2. The poster said Simmonds has been declining for 3 years, which in inccurate because his best season was two years ago.
3. You may be correct about Simmonds’ next contract being a risky one.

"Banged up all season," referenced by a poster earlier, and going into this season where he'll be 30, and a UFA at the end of the season. That doesn't sound promising for the long-term. Also, his production has declined the last 3 years....

2015-2016 = 32G/60P
2016-2017 = 31G/54P
2017-2018 = 24G/46P

I don't know....This looks like decreasing production to me?

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Carlos would cost a ton

This is why prospects get overrated, posts like this.

Carlo will be a good d man but its pretty clear he doesnt have "superstar" potential. He also doesn't need to be with McAvoy in the system.

You're right that he'd cost a lot but suggesting hes going to be a superstar is crazy.

Reactions: Tripod

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I really like Carlo, but not while trading Tanev and Sutter along with taking a cap dump. From a Canucks POV I'm more interested in trading for picks any of: MDZ, Hutton, Granlund, Gaunce, Leipsic, Goldobin, Gagner.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I really like Carlo, but not while trading Tanev and Sutter along with taking a cap dump. From a Canucks POV I'm more interested in trading for picks any of: MDZ, Hutton, Granlund, Gaunce, Leipsic, Goldobin, Gagner.

There will be no further Seguinesque trades where the b's get bent over. Those days have sailed.

Reactions: John Bruins

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

Carlos would cost a ton

I think Carlo is a good defensive player with great size who can skate. He's not a "good skater for his size", he's a good skater. However he has not shown us much offense and at this point I am going to say it's a safe bet it isn't coming and that's okay. A D who can skate the puck out of the zone and who is great on the PK and who can handle big players is a good player to have as part of the D. I don't believe he's going to be a superstar or star unless he all of a sudden produces some offense. He is still a very important player for the Bruins and at the end of last season his physical game was starting to blossom(crease clearing, etc), adding that makes him more important when Chara retires. Carlo is a key player on the defense and they have no immediate replacement for him, I just can't see them moving him.

Last edited:

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The Flyers have $13m in cap space. Why would they need to dump an expiring contract?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think Carlo is a good defensive player with great size who can skate. He's not a "good skater for his size", he's a good skater. However he has not shown us much offense and at this point I am going to say it's a safe bet it isn't coming and that's okay. A D who can skate the puck out of the zone and who is great on the PK and who can handle big players is a good player to have as part of the D. I don't believe he's going to be a superstar or star unless he all of a sudden produces some offense. He is still a very important player for the Bruins and at the end of last season his physical game was starting to blossom(crease clearing, etc), adding that makes him more important when Chara retires. Carlo is a key player on the defense and they have no immediate replacement for him, I just can't see them moving him.
Boy that sounds exactly what Flyers fans expect from a healthy Morin for the left side.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Boy that sounds exactly what Flyers fans expect from a healthy Morin for the left side.

From what I have seen, Carlo is a level above Morin but maybe I just haven't seen enough of him yet. I think being out of the lineup with injury makes it hard to judge.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
From what I have seen, Carlo is a level above Morin but maybe I just haven't seen enough of him yet. I think being out of the lineup with injury makes it hard to judge.
Oh I agree. He is proven where's Morin is still potential.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
"Banged up all season," referenced by a poster earlier, and going into this season where he'll be 30, and a UFA at the end of the season. That doesn't sound promising for the long-term. Also, his production has declined the last 3 years....

2015-2016 = 32G/60P
2016-2017 = 31G/54P
2017-2018 = 24G/46P

I don't know....This looks like decreasing production to me?

I mean, I certainly am not high on Simmonds' ability to stay healthy long term given his style of play, but I'm not sure you can scrutinize that production too much. Not really worried about 5 assists, but 32 goals to 31 isn't much of a drop and this past season he was pretty much a walking corpse.

He tore a muscle in his pelvis a week or two into the season, and continued to play when he lost several teeth on 2 different occasions and fractured his ankle. Finally took some time off when he tore a ligament in his hand. He actually shouldn't have been playing through all that crap, and his production would probably look better if he had just sat out some of the games where he was completely useless. Respect the heart, but it was obscene.

So I'll write last season off and say it's a bit too early to declare a production decline, though one is likely in the cards-though it will have more to do with JVR pushing him off the 1st PP and out of the top 6 than with his age. Flyers will have a lot of options on the PP, with JVR, Simmonds, Patrick and Couturier all looking to slide in with Giroux/Voracek/Gostisbehere on the 1st unit.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
6 years of Carlo control to dump a contract and 1 year of Simmonds is horrible.

Backes's trade protection changes next year and his real salary obligation is half of his cap hit. Some cap floor team will take him for a minimal asset if they still feel a need to move him.

Carlo isn't untouchable but a good transition RHD with 6 years of control is a lot to give up for a rental.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
While I like Carlo, I don't think "Future superstar potential" and "Carlo" should be used in the same breath. Carlo seems to have the upside of a solid 2nd pairing defensive anchor. Maybe as Carlo progresses, he could develop a little more and be a defenseman that could compliment a legit #1 on a top pairing. Kind of like what Boychuk was to Chara. Nowhere do I see him growing into a future superstar though. I don't think he'll ever produce the offense to meet that type of potential.
Ya I’d agree.

If someone told me they could move his in a type of package for an upgrade I’d volunteer to drive him to the airport.

He’ll be a good not great Dman in his career. Which honestly is fine

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Wow they gave him a NMC? That will hurt in the expansion draft.

Flyers don’t need D. Maybe if you trade a few and consolidate for the expansion draft, but I think they will be ok there too. Flyers best bet is to do nothing.
I thought the contract for next year turns into a modified no trade clause and therefore didnt have to protect him - not a 100% on that one, but I thought I saw or heard somewhere that was the case.

Reactions: TheKingPin

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
you may be right or wrong about some of what you say... the backes nmc expires after this year

I don't think backes future lies on a cap maxed team. the real dollars owed to him his final 2 seasons is just 5 mill. he will finish his career on a team that doesn't spend to the max and where his cap hit doesn't matter

I don't believe that will be philly

I do think the original trade could be a lot more simple

is carlo for Simmonds a trade either philly or boston would like?

there would obviously need to be a contract extension for Simmonds. boston cant trade a top 4 dman for a 1 year rental

to make the trade a bit easier for boston… I propose

carlo
Heinen
conditional boston 3rd pick based on Simmonds resigning
for
Simmonds
Andrew McDonald {1/2 retained} making him a 2.5 mill cap hit
philly 2nd round pick

if Simmonds does resign I could live with this from boston. I do think hes the best player in the trade. I think boston can get by with McAvoy/kevan miller as the anchors on their right side defense. I do feel Andrew McDonald could be a good partner for krug and 1/2 cap hit would be affordable for boston the next couple years

carlo might become the next chris tanev but even if he does... hes not untradable. getting Simmonds would make carlo expendable. one thing about trading for a winger it creates even a greater logjam on the wing. that's why im willing to send back Heinen

basically the trade is carlo for Simmonds... and Heinen for the second and McDonald... and bostons pick is just to balance it in case Simmonds resigns

so a win for philly if Simmonds doesn't resign... more balance if he does but a slight win for boston
I am not sure I would take on Simmonds for Carlo and Heinen - we already have too many Andrew McDonalds (well to many D men with 8) so that deal looks like Carlo and Heinen for Simmonds....which makes absolutely no sense for the Bruins.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Who h as been decreasing production, Simmonds, for the last 3 years... ha ha ha.. ? The **** you smoking in Boston..? What a dumb thing to say.
Simmonds is nowhere near declining and has had ONE injured season, last year.
I am not sure declining is the right word to use - but he will be 30, just had a torn pelvis and multiple surgeries where there was concern he may not even be ready for camp (although they say he will be now).

Simmonds last two seasons - 0.63 pts per game
Backes last two seasons - 0.54 pts per game

Simmonds is a UFA in a years time - keep backes and carlo, philly can keep Simmonds on this one.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad