Post-Game Talk: Bruins break losing streak to habs

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Execution was a disaster last night. So many scoring chances without finish. So many shots didn't hit the net : Gionta, Emelin, Plekanec...

Bouillon - Subban is awful.
Murray - Tinordi was worse.
Markov - Emelin was atrocious (Markov on the Lucic goal...)

All in all, the team sucked from top to bottom. Therrien HAS to build 2 scoring lines. We have a decent top-6 and he is not using it.

Finally, Subban has regressed. He doesn't play with fire anymore and the coaching staff must have something to do with it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The game wasn't lost because of 3 missed breakaways, stop writing this stupid ****. The game was lost because defensive coverage was crooked, the offensive was mostly inept aside from these breakaways (stopped by Boston to their credit) and Budaj let in a bunch of weak goals.

That is all.

They had 3 breakaways and Gionta had a partial open net and Gallagher had Rask down and shot on his stick. How is an offense that scores once and generates 5 other 5 star chances inept? The chances were generated and the guys did not finish, not like it was White Prust and Moen either...Galagaher Gionta Galchenyuk Plekanec and Pacioretty had those chances, all 20+ goal scorers.

Halifaxhab*

They played 20 mins. A good 1st. Then they got sucked into the bruins style instead of continuing what worked in the 1st.

And of course, the team kept missing chance after chance after chance.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
They had 3 breakaways and Gionta had a partial open net and Gallagher had Rask down and shot on his stick. How is an offense that scores once and generates 5 other 5 star chances inept? The chances were generated and the guys did not finish, not like it was White Prust and Moen either...Galagaher Gionta Galchenyuk Plekanec and Pacioretty had those chances, all 20+ goal scorers.

And Boston hit three posts and Budaj made a luck save with the shaft of his stick. Once again, the Habs couldn't put a consistent effort past 20 minutes. It's the same story it's been all year. We can talk about ifs until we're blue in the face, but the fact is, they lost and deserved to lose again.

0 regulation wins since the Olympic break. Habs have conceded 28 goals over 8 games since then.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I'll be further entertained by you and the other know-it-alls on this site when you start to call the next coach an idiot two months into his contract.

Well, when your requirement is language ahead of everything, then you deserve to get criticized when the coach you hire is a dummy.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
As a bruins fan, I'm not sure how anyone could blame Budaj for yesterday (or a coach for playing him).
He has done well vs the Bruins in recent play, and wasn't he picked OVER a healthy Price vs the bruins in Jan?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'm certainly not in love with Therrien. I don't like all of his decisions. But you get a point here. He's not the reason the team has problems right now. In fact, I think this team is right where it should be in the standing: fighting for a playoffs spot.

Overall, I think Therrien is doing an ok job with the players he has.

The Habs aren't fighting for a playoff spot, they are 1 point out of 3rd and 5 teams would have to pass them including one that's 6 points back.

It would take a pretty big collapse to miss the playoffs. They have gone 3-4-1 with Price out and have barely lost any ground. If Price is back soon we should lock up 3rd or 4th in the conference.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
And Boston hit three posts and Budaj made a luck save with the shaft of his stick. Once again, the Habs couldn't put a consistent effort past 20 minutes. It's the same story it's been all year. We can talk about ifs until we're blue in the face, but the fact is, they lost and deserved to lose again.

0 regulation wins since the Olympic break. Habs have conceded 28 goals over 8 games since then.

They put a strong effort in the 2nd, but the floater 3rd goal just killed them after they had gotten 2-3 great chances right before.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Martin had a less talented team score more goals while playing a stricter brand of hockey. It was boring as hell, but at least he had a ****ing system.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
They put a strong effort in the 2nd, but the floater 3rd goal just killed them after they had gotten 2-3 great chances right before.

They didn't have a strong effort in the second. They had 2 shifts where they finally upped the tempo and then Budaj let in a goal.

The game was being dictated to the Habs just prior to that. Talk about revisionist history of the game.

The lengths you will go to to not criticize the team is beyond me. You do realize that the Habs have been playing .500 hockey since DEC 1st? You do realize they have 0 regulation wins since the Olympic break? You also realize that in 57 of 67 games this year, the Habs have been barely over .500 hockey right? They had a lucky 10 game point streak that skewed everything

The way you defend the team makes it seem as though they're doing just fine, but they are not. They are one of the worst possession teams, one of the worse 5 on 5 teams and depend on their goalie...which is clearly evident since he's been out. The PP is on the decline and 90% of their forward group has regressed. The best part this is all happening while the team has been perfectly healthy for the majority of the year.

How you still defend them after all this is just stupidity.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
They played 20 mins. A good 1st. Then they got sucked into the bruins style instead of continuing what worked in the 1st.

And of course, the team kept missing chance after chance after chance.

I'm not even sure that it was 20 min, I'd say that we did okay in the first, were better in stretches and worse in others. I'd say we were probably the better team in the first overall, but not by much.

I agree with other posters, a lot of the bellyaching about the habs is based on faulty perceptions of how good the team is. I went into the season thinking we were a 6/7/8 team in the East and although we have overachieved, I was never convinced we were a top 3 team due to some pretty glaring but persistent deficiencies.

The team ethos is super simple, small perimeter team that rises and falls based on two things 1) PP 2) goaltending. If we don't get both ( and we havent recently even in games we got a point or won outright) we are likely ending up on the losing end. how this surprises anyone is beyond me.

And lastly I'm not even concerned that this is due to lack of effort or will, it would be great if all our top 6 would act like gallagher and crash the net, but Gallagher is the exception, not the rule. Most of our top 9 are perimeter players because even though we cant score this is where they are the most effective.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The Habs aren't fighting for a playoff spot, they are 1 point out of 3rd and 5 teams would have to pass them including one that's 6 points back.

It would take a pretty big collapse to miss the playoffs. They have gone 3-4-1 with Price out and have barely lost any ground. If Price is back soon we should lock up 3rd or 4th in the conference.

Not lost any ground?you see two teams 4 pts back with 2 games each in hand over Montreal?

Who says Price is a 2.20 gga down the stretch after injury?
Who says he can stay healthly in final 10 games...groins are serious issues for G tenders.

God love Bujad,but he isnt used to this work load over past few years...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Not his fault that the team is dead last 5 on 5 scoring? Keep blaming everyone but the coach.

Buffalo passed us ? Wow.

As we discussed before, if you cant score 5 on 5, the playoffs are gonna be a hard road for any team. And if the habs dont score 5 on 5 in the playoffs ( if we make them) who is going to get the flak ? Why Price of course.

Its like living in Bizzaro world.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I'm certainly not in love with Therrien. I don't like all of his decisions. But you get a point here. He's not the reason the team has problems right now. In fact, I think this team is right where it should be in the standing: fighting for a playoffs spot.

Overall, I think Therrien is doing an ok job with the players he has.

*sigh* You're really being lazy here.

We are where we are in the standings because Price is turning in a Vezina caliber season. How can you watch the games and think the team is performing well? Every player on the team is having a down season. Is that a coincidence or is it the coaching staff?

I can't believe people watch the games and think Therrien's doing well.

Then you look at the handling of a bunch of players. Downright silly. This was my fear. Therrien and Bergy have done poor jobs thus far but the team's position in the standings will trick people into thinking they have done well. Watching the games, our coaching staff does not know how to maximize the strengths of our players.

:help:

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

Nope, they had a strong first. Afterwards, the Bruins took control of the momentum and took away most of our puck possession time.

We had a couple of great scoring chances in the first. Not converting those and Budaj letting in a couple of stinker just completely cut any momentum the team could've had and the game ended up the way it did because of that.

Also, our defensemen were disgustingly bad at moving the puck upwards and connecting with the forwards. So many random lobs and board chips in the hope that one of our forward will someone get perfect control of the puck and bear down on the opposing defense. We need our forwards to come down lower because our defensemen are just too inept at passing to complete passes from anything further than 5-10 feet. (besides Markov who hasn't looked too hot recently anyway).

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Therrien won't be the coach next year. Anyone want to bet with me?

By the way, who was Subban yelling at on the bench midway through the 2nd right before a defensive zone faceoff?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Buffalo passed us ? Wow.

As we discussed before, if you cant score 5 on 5, the playoffs are gonna be a hard road for any team. And if the habs dont score 5 on 5 in the playoffs ( if we make them) who is going to get the flak ? Why Price of course.

Its like living in Bizzaro world.

29th. Doesn't look like Buffalo will catch us. They're 19 goals back.

But yea...if you can't score 5 on 5. You won't do jack **** in the playoffs. But some people think things will somehow change. That is on the staff.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Tampa Detroit and columbus pass us and we are not in the playoffs. It only takes three teams to pass us not sure where you are getting five.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Tampa Detroit and columbus pass us and we are not in the playoffs. It only takes three teams to pass us not sure where you are getting five.

Columbus Habs games March 20 is a big time game.

Then Flyers Blue Jackets play each other early April 3

Then Tampa vs Blue Jackets April 11...

Tampa Blue Jackets and Flyers all got 2 games in hand....and potential 3pts games between one another.

Last edited:

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

10 teams are fighting for 6 spots... That's the problem: too many temas still in it.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
8 regular wins in the last 36 games
Worst, 3 of them came the same week Price was named 1st star of the week in the NHL.

In those last 36 games, the Habs scored 2 goals or less in 21 of those games.

Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Markov, Subban, Beaulieu, Briere, Desharnais, Eller and we don't have what it takes to build offensive?

And now we had Vanek to that group.....3 games with 2 goals or less in a row???

The set-up is wrong (DD=All the Offense Plek=All the Defense)
The line-up is wrong (Galchy and Vanek playing off-position)
The system is wrong (Grinding for offensive talents)

Unless we erase the board and re-start with a fresh start...nothing will change.
Price can save our ass, but that's about it.

And by erasing the board, i mean erasing the Pac-DD / Plek - Gio duo....i think it's time for a change!

firewagon77*

The 1st game back after a west coast trip is always a struggle,Rask is now 3-10-2 lifetime vs Montreal,if the Canadiens don't make the playoffs or are gone like last year in the 1st round,Therrien will be fired and probably replace with Guy Boucher......Tuesday night should be very interesting and electric Patrick Roy passed over as coach back in Montreal on march 18th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad