TSN: Bruins Acquire Jarome Iginla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Definitely a bottom 4 guy. Can play a physical game, has a bit of offensive upside. He looks like he could be a serviceable NHL d-man.

As good as the trade is for the B's, I actually think the Flames got some good pieces.

If cond 1st turns out to be true, that's bad, but Koko is a legit prospect.

The other day Brick (Bruins color guy) was saying he is touted mostly for his foot speed

Thanks for the replies. Speed is good to hear because the Flames bottom pairing is a tad slow. Hopefully he gets better with time.

Yeah, I don't think it's as bad a deal as people make it out to be. I see this playing out two ways:

1. Iginla signs with Boston and we get the first (decent deal).
2. Iginla returns to Calgary in which case we get Kokhlachev for free pretty much.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Tell me about Matt Bartkowski.

1. Is he a hybrid of Sven Baertschi and Mark Jankowski?

2. Is he physical at all?

3. Does he have any potential beyond being a bottom-pairing defensemen?
He is physical and moves well for his size.

Ignore what Craig ****ing Button is saying.

Do I think the Flames "won" the trade? Who knows. Koko has a ton of talent and potential. I think Chiareli would have held on to him if this team did not have a million centers and Ryan Spooner in the pipeline.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Definitely a bottom 4 guy. Can play a physical game, has a bit of offensive upside. He looks like he could be a serviceable NHL d-man.

As good as the trade is for the B's, I actually think the Flames got some good pieces.

If cond 1st turns out to be true, that's bad, but Koko is a legit prospect.

I would add that he is a pretty decent skater with decent speed. One thing I liked about his games here is he was pretty good at skating the puck out of trouble and up the ice.

Still think he is going to need some seasoning.

Koko IMO is going to be pretty good-and as a Bruins fan I hate to lose him, but for his career and his desires for his career Calgary may be the better place for him. He will actually have the opportunity to break into the NHL roster where in the Bruins organization where Krejci and Bergeron are still very young, getting a roster slot was going to be tough.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
I would be shocked. Horton is perfect for the 3rd line in the playoffs.

The reason I think Horton moves next is because...

1) We need a D-man

2) He is UFA (Chia ain't stupid enough to lose him for nothing)

3) Make room for Iginla extension (although we are still screwed with the cap)

Don't want him to go, but jeez...he just doesn't seem like a 3rd line guy to me. I see the lines as:

Seguin - Krejci - Horton
Iginla - Bergeron - Lucic
Marchand - Kelly - Peverley
Thornton - Campbell - Paille

If Soderberg arrives...what happens?

unifiedtheory

Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Thanks for the replies. Speed is good to hear because the Flames bottom pairing is a tad slow. Hopefully he gets better with time.

Yeah, I don't think it's as bad a deal as people make it out to be. I see this playing out two ways:

1. Iginla signs with Boston and we get the first (decent deal).
2. Iginla returns to Calgary in which case we get Kokhlachev for free pretty much.
If Iginla helps us win the Stanley Cup I'd do the deal 100 times out of 100.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
He is physical and moves well for his size.

Ignore what Craig ****ing Button is saying.

Do I think the Flames "won" the trade? Who knows. Koko has a ton of talent and potential. I think Chiareli would have held on to him if this team did not have a million centers and Ryan Spooner in the pipeline.

Craig Button wanted to trade Iginla for Mike Peca so I know he's an idiot.

unifiedtheory

Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
The reason I think Horton moves next is because...

1) We need a D-man

2) He is UFA (Chia ain't stupid enough to lose him for nothing)

3) Make room for Iginla extension (although we are still screwed with the cap)

Don't want him to go, but jeez...he just doesn't seem like a 3rd line guy to me. I see the lines as:

Seguin - Krejci - Horton
Iginla - Bergeron - Lucic
Marchand - Kelly - Peverley
Thornton - Campbell - Paille

If Soderberg arrives...what happens?
Nate has a NTC, he knows what is happening, I don't see him accepting any trade. Besides, we can afford him this year and he really adds depth.

I think Soderberg will be brought along slowly. We can't take a guy straight from the SEL and drop him into the NHL playoffs, his head would be spinning.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
And, for all we know that 2nd round pick and prospect that it may take to get another stud D-man on this team, will never get us this close to another Cup again. That's if they ever even make the show.

Whitney doesn't make this team better defensively. Need to aim higher. Chara isn't getting any younger, we scored 5 goals tonight, and it wasn't enough. D has to tighten up.

Face it, we just acquired Jerome Iginla. We're in win now mode.
We are in make smart moves now mode. Iginla made complete and total sense because it's realistic to extend him for about $5M and get several years out of him. A defenseman would 100% be a rental, we just don't have the cap space to extend any of the good D. If Chiarelli can get real creative and land a top 4 D-Man on an insanely cheap, signed for $2M in future years or less type contract then he has my full support in dealing a guy like Spooner, another future 1st, etc. But if it's just going to be some rental who is gone at the end of the year, I think it's a mistake to give up big assets for a guy you get 1 run with.

A 2nd and a prospect would not appear to be the asking price for a player like Mark Streit, unless you are talking about a top guy like Spooner. Douglas Murray is a 3rd pairing guy not having a very good year and brought back a 2nd and another conditional 2nd. Morrow brought back a top prospect in Joe Morrow. Paul Gaustad brought back a 1st rounder last year, and the list goes on.

Does anything in Chia's track record suggest we are going to pay big for a rental? All his moves were guys he either had under contract for another year like Kelly, Peverley or planned to extend before July 1st like Seidenberg or Kaberle (who was a complete bust and couldn't be extended, but that's beside the point). And I fully support him in not doing so, like I said, it's bad business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad