Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Dimitry Orlov and Garnet Hathaway from Washington

What you think?

• Love it?

Votes: 242 64.2%
  • Like it?

Votes: 109 28.9%
  • Dislike it?

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • Hate it?

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • No opinion

Votes: 11 2.9%

• Total voters

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
And no need to rush to a decision now. See how both like it here and how we like them. No reason a deal, if we wanted to do one, couldn’t get done in the summer.
For sure. Need to see how these guys mesh in the room and play in Monty's system. Orlov supposedly wants a pretty penny on his next deal. Who knows about Hathaway. Bs were his favorite team as a kid, so he might want to stay for a reasonable price.

I'm assuming Monty and some of the team leaders were consulted before bringing both of these guys into a close-knit room with incredible chemistry. Hathaway is a lightning rod, but Bergy seems to be excited to have him here. My guess is they will work out great, barring injury, and the Bs will ultimately do what they can to keep them. Orlov will be tricky, though.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Doubt we will ever know how it went down, but maybe the CBJ not keeping their mouths shut trying to drive the price up, got the Caps to call the Bruins and make a better offer?!
He snoozed on taking back salary and tried to squeeze Sweeney. Backfired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is why Chychrun is still in the desert too. Everyone is trying to overprice their players. There needs to be a fine line and a happy medium.

We've seen this multiple times now where GMs have a guy who everyone (fans, teammates, etc.) knows wants a change of scenery, and yet the GM sets his price high and draws a line in the sand and lets it drag out for months and even years sometimes. Heck sometimes they even raise the asking price as time goes on.

Sometimes I think they are better off just making a deal so everyone else can move on and it's no longer hanging over the group instead of drawing a hard line for that extra B-level prospect or extra 2nd/3rd round pick. In the bigger picture it's better to get it over with more often than not. Doesn't mean rush to make a deal (ala Dougie Hamilton), but don't let it drag on for months especially once the season has started.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If Jim puts the pairings together by spreading out the talent, do you guys realize that we could theoretically have one of McAvoy, Lindholm, or Orlov on the ice for every second of an entire hockey game? That's crazy to think about. We have 3 #1 defensemen and a good #2 in Carlo.
Montgomery must be so thrilled. He's a great front-line general with all of the weapons available to get the job done. Must be a wet dream, for him.

Reactions: Bodit9

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
BTW, what a whiny fella Jarmo is. He didn't want to help to
consummate the deal and knew that either party could walk away but assumed
that Sweeney would take a loss on Smith (and another cap hit) just to get his RENTAL here.
When you assume (Jarmo)
You make an
Ass
(of) U
(and)
Me

Shmuck!

Last edited:

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Just curious what the take was at WBZ 98.5.

McCone and Murray are in for Felger and Mazz.
They seem to know hockey and the Bruins but
moronic callers calling about some "Pitbull" concert in Lynn.:huh::thumbd:

I think it’s quite possible that the decision not to take money on wasn’t Jarmo’s but ownership instead.
Oh well...

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Reilly and Lauko are being held out by Boston and Providence.
(Per Jim Murray)
Feels as though another trade is incoming?
Barbashev?

Last edited:

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
With this trade there is really no weakness in the Top 7 of the B's D corps. A lot like when they went out and got Seidenberg. A legit, 3 zone player that is B+ in just about every aspect of his game.

Carlo goes down, throw in Cliffy or Forbort. Lindholm goes down, Orlov can carry his pairing. Grzy goes down, throw in Orlov to run the pair and have mini Z play with Forbort safe minutes... Just 7+ deep now.

Hathaway can/will be our Clutterbuck. Guys like that are absolutely critical in the first and second round to get over the hump and hit to hurt the other guys. Remember the NYI series and how he and a few others wore down the B's.... He is a punk and a spot picker, but a guy like that (like Wood in NJ) can be key in a long series as long as he can stay at the threshold of the limit. Heavy on the body, heavy on the puck, and good enough to keep heads on a swivel and wear people down. It's not like he is Cooke or Torres material even if many would have full merit in disliking him. Unfortunately to win in the playoffs as we saw against the Blues, you need a guy like that to punk people because if you don't do it first, you'll be on the other end when the refs put the whistles away....

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This is why Chychrun is still in the desert too. Everyone is trying to overprice their players. There needs to be a fine line and a happy medium.

Agreed

He`s been on the market for what? Almost 2 seasons now, at some point, you`d have to think the GM would simply understand he ain`t getting the package he wants for him but nope, there is Bill Armstrong holding a player out of games and asking the same price

He`s a nice player, this whole thing, acting like he`s the 2nd coming of Ray Bourque is ludicrous, he`s a guy who played 68 games as his most in a season, last 3 going 47,56, 63, nice player, soft as butter and I`m not sold the guy plays solid D

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. When are the 2 new guys going to play?
If I were a betting man, I`d say vs the Flames game

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Sorry mods for the outbreak that is about to happen.

Lauko asked for a trade a few weeks ago.
outbreak? Is Lauko....the monkey?

rs_1024x759-200309112101-1024-outbreak-25th-anniversary-4.jpeg

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
From the Leafs board:

"Ironically if anything this reads more like a reactionary move from the Bruins after the Leafs formally started the Eastern arms race by getting their preferred target first"

"This. Sweeney literally copied the deal Dubas made, almost exactly, except acquired two worse players."

How can you not love those fans?!!

LOL

I’ll give you O’Reilly is a better player than Hathaway but is he saying Acciari is better than Orlov?
Lol

Reactions: BMC

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
Montgomery must be so thrilled. He's a great front-line general with all of the weapons available to get the job done. Must be a wet dream, for him.
Lol...A kid in a candy store.

Just curious what the take was at WBZ 98.5.

McCone and Murray are in for Felger and Mazz.
They seem to know hockey and the Bruins but
moronic callers calling about some "Pitbull" concert in Lynn.:huh::thumbd:

Oh well...
Is Mazz suspended....?

Reactions: sarge88

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
For those who watch players on other teams much more than I do, would Orlov be something like Seids? A heavy hitter like Seids was in 2011 would be amazing. I remember that awesome collision by Seids and Ovi, earthquake incoming.

Reactions: BMC

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
From the Leafs board:

"Ironically if anything this reads more like a reactionary move from the Bruins after the Leafs formally started the Eastern arms race by getting their preferred target first"

"This. Sweeney literally copied the deal Dubas made, almost exactly, except acquired two worse players."

How can you not love those fans?!!
So delusionally delicious.

• Haha
Reactions: StonedZboril

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad