Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Dimitry Orlov and Garnet Hathaway from Washington

What you think?

• Love it?

Votes: 242 64.2%
  • Like it?

Votes: 109 28.9%
  • Dislike it?

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • Hate it?

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • No opinion

Votes: 11 2.9%

• Total voters

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Don't know if it's been mentioned but Monty said he was thinking of playing...

Hathaway with Foligno and Frederic, or Foligno and Nosek when he's back.

Orlov and the whole D group would go to a rotation to keep everyone fresh for the playoffs.
Montys another right shot center idk who's spot he would take.

Reactions: bruins19

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is why Chychrun is still in the desert too. Everyone is trying to overprice their players. There needs to be a fine line and a happy medium.
Exactly

Both teams usually suck for a reason

Caps didn’t F around and could likely get Orlov back

Trading to Boston was a gamble but if Washington wants to sign they know Bruins up against it

Jarmo didn’t want to make money work and the ‘dentist’ got drilled but where the sun don’t shine

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Here's my take on the Columbus "fiasco".

Yes, they had a deal in place but contingent on the Bruins being able to move cap space out in another deal.

Columbus warned the Bruins that if another team came in with an offer that was similar or better that they would accept the offer without hesitation. In other words, they would continue to negotiate with other teams.

Are they really foolish enough to think that the Bruins would not continue to shop around? If that was their thought process, they are in the wrong profession.

Anyway, glad that deal did not work out. I like this deal much better.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Been thinking about this trade and have gone from a like it to love it.

Orlov fits exactly what this team needs. He’s physical, great shot from the point, playoff experience, good in transition, versatile. It seems very similar to the McDonough deal that put TB over the top.

Hathaway is a pest and has a great motor. He brings it every game. This is a clear upgrade over Greer and gives you a right handed shot in the bottom six.

These are guys you want to go to war with. One more good forward addition and we’re ready to roll

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Here's my take on the Columbus "fiasco".

Yes, they had a deal in place but contingent on the Bruins being able to move cap space out in another deal.

Columbus warned the Bruins that if another team came in with an offer that was similar or better that they would accept the offer without hesitation. In other words, they would continue to negotiate with other teams.

Are they really foolish enough to think that the Bruins would not continue to shop around? If that was their thought process, they are in the wrong profession.

Anyway, glad that deal did not work out. I like this deal much better.

The thing I don’t get is why Columbus refused to take money back, especially money expiring this season. They’re going absolutely nowhere and it would have helped facilitate a deal/probably get them extra picks.

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
Love this trade. Thought Gavrikov was a ridiculous price and Chyrhun was too much to give up. I always hated (respectfully) Hathaway. Such an annoying and hard working player. Always thought the Bruins needed a player of his mold for quite some time. AND a top pairing Dman with Orlov? Good pick ups

Reactions: Gordoff

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
The thing I don’t get is why Columbus refused to take money back, especially money expiring this season. They’re going absolutely nowhere and it would have helped facilitate a deal/probably get them extra picks.
Read the CBJ trade thread. They give some business reasons for why they could not take on money.

Reactions: Gordoff

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Take some time and scan through it. The Lumbus fans talk about the reasons. One mentioned that they are tied to Bally and may lose money because of their bankruptcy.

I will I just think it’s ridiculous. If you’re dependent on playoff money you probably shouldn’t own the team. The Bally thing would make sense, I just think an ownership team that can’t spend up to the cap regardless or business partnerships probably shouldn’t own a team.

It worked out in the Bruins favor so it’s whatever to me it just seems ridiculous. Kind of like what is going on in MLB

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I will I just think it’s ridiculous. If you’re dependent on playoff money you probably shouldn’t own the team. The Bally thing would make sense, I just think an ownership team that can’t spend up to the cap regardless or business partnerships probably shouldn’t own a team.

It worked out in the Bruins favor so it’s whatever to me it just seems ridiculous. Kind of like what is going on in MLB
What you say makes sense. But most millionaires that are self made are gamblers who take from Peter to pay Paul. Thats how a lot of empires are built. The problem is it can all shatter like glass with one unexpected turn. Look at Ottawa and Melnyk.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Ah right the billionaires can’t afford it
I just did some number crunching based, based off the numbers on cap friendly, and I'm not sure the jackets could afford to retain 50% of Gavrikov's contract and taken on Smiths contract, if the ultimate goal was to use the picks gotten from the trade to aquire Chychrun. Another factor we have to take in is the unknown with diamond sports filing for bankruptcy could very well affect cap situations for next year and years to come. Who knows what will come with that, that may play into ownership's decision not to take on an expiring contract and retain salary from a player. There's a difference between paying money for a player you plan on/want to keep vs paying money for a player that you definitely aren't keeping or isn't here.
From the CBJ Trade Thread page 18.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Saying Orlov is *going* to help them win and Hathaway is coming to help them win. Minor needle at Hathaway to have him play extra hard and mean*

*im joking or am I???
I was actually wondering why he worded it that way. Thanks, this makes sense.

Reactions: CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad