• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I mean he sent the puck back to the point and they went D to D for a low danger chance and it resulted in one of the luckiest goals of all time. There's no reason to put any stock into that. It's not like it's anything he couldn't do last season which is my point. As a whole his game really wasn't good

I mean sure the points are nice but a 21% CF and 34% is super rough. I'm still super high on him.

A point shot with traffic in front is a low danger chance. Okay dude, have it your way.

17u781.jpg

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I couldn't care less if he's making highlight reels plays all the time. My issue is that his underlying numbers were bad and for most of the game he looked very similar to last season. It is only one game and Palms was trash which couldn't have helped

Second on the team in expected goals behind Wood, but sure, his “underlying numbers” were bad. If you’re centering L1 against Boston, strong chance your CF% will not be great, so context matters.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Mods/whoever should add this to postgame threads going forward. From the Rangers' board:

View attachment 384436

I actually kinda like the idea but I don't think we need to put that many choices lol

Plus you can't really rank em in a poll either, it's just a flat three stars without being 1-2-3...although come to think of it the vote totals themselves will do that.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Second on the team in expected goals behind Wood, but sure, his “underlying numbers” were bad. If you’re centering L1 against Boston, strong chance your CF% will not be great, so context matters.

Wood was at .83 ixG. Hughes was 2nd at .36. Most of that is from the OT breakaway which .23 of that is from the OT where I've admitted he looked good. Context matters.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Hughes really needs to be on a second scoring line against teams like this. When Petersson was starting they sheltered like baby bird and Horvat took hard minutes make that happen. When we have Nico we can do something similar.

I love Blackwood proving that he doesn’t belong on the lowest tier or the bottom a young goalie list, particularly since some of those young studs got lit up like Christmas trees.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
A point shot with traffic in front is a low danger chance. Okay dude, have it your way.

17u781.jpg

Yes... If the puck doesn't bounce around a dozen times then no one would be talking about that play. He picked up a lucky secondary assist there. He made a great play to force the turnover on the Wood play that he wouldn't have been able to make last season. He looked improved physically. He was generally not all that good at 5v5. He still looked like his usual great self at 3v3. I don't see how saying any of that is crazy

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Hughes really needs to be on a second scoring line against teams like this. When Petersson was starting they sheltered like baby bird and Horvat took hard minutes make that happen. When we have Nico we can do something similar.

I love Blackwood proving that he doesn’t belong on the lowest tier or the bottom a young goalie list, particularly since some of those young studs got lit up like Christmas trees.
I’m pretty sure they had Zajac matched up against the Bruins top line all game. I could be wrong.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

That's the plan, man, bur our 1C looks like Lieutenant Dan.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Ever since Hynes was fired he belongs on the highest tier

TorontoMedia

Aug 11, 2020
I’m cautiously excited to see what this team can do full strength with Hischier, Bratt, and Vatanen on the horizon.
Same boat... hard to asses after 1 game

a lot to like, some big decisions to be made. For example... you’d be insane to not play Jbo or McLeod over palms with how they looked tonight.
Palms can fill a bottom six role. Really just doesn’t have it, his coordination has gotten worse every year and he just looks lost. Every time the puck went to him tonight you knew it was a turnover. Last year it was the same.

was 1000% sure he was missing the OT bway.
Don’t get how people acknowledge zajac as stone hands when palmeri is the least coordinated player in the league

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
Last year they would have been up 2-0 going into the 3rd and ended up losing in OT. At least this game they worked through their issues in the first and managed to get a point. I think once Ruff’s system becomes more ingrained in their heads the sloppiness will hopefully go away but I think there was definitely a lot of things to be hopeful for.

Reactions: My3Sons

TorontoMedia

Aug 11, 2020
Good to see McLeod being as active as he was...Hughes is young and needs time to develop but I thought he was more involved in all aspects of the game tonight and showed growth in his game.
He would never make the play he did on the first goal last year. That should be something that gets acknowledged. Used his skating to create a turnover/ breakaway, knew they would give him that assist. But yeah, jack Hughes defense leading to a goal is not something that would’ve happened last year.
He didn’t look awesome, but he looked good enough. He’s 19... all up hill from here

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Hughes is young you have to give him 3 years to get an idea of what's there...I think he played very good tonight.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Hughes’ lack of scoring touch concerns me, kid should have had at least one tonight, not to mention that putrid s/o attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad