GDT: Bruins (2-0) at Rags (0-2) Wed 23 Jan 730PM EST NBCSN ,98.5 FM II

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I agreed with everything written here, but this especially. Chara on the PP is frustrating. He's got that big shot, but he has a tough time getting it through or hitting the net. I like Dougie's ability to find a way to hit the net, even against a team like the Rangers.

Chara = 3rd amongst defensemen in PP goals, 12th in PP points last year.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Its only been 3 games. But Hamilton seems to know exactly what to do and when to do it.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Chara = 3rd amongst defensemen in PP goals, 12th in PP points last year.

Cool. That's one tree (albeit a majestic redwood), but what about the forest as a whole? Our PP has sukked for quite awhile, all the while Z was collecting those points. Odaat might be onto something here. Maybe limiting Z's PP time might be one of those 1 step back, 2 steps forward type of deals.

jasonbaz77*

Yep, I'm not afraid of them at all if they keep rolling Gaborik - Richards - Nash.
One hell of a line, but the rest isn't really that good. Their bottom 6 is meh ...
The fourth time hardly gets ice-time ... the second line is invisible.
Yes, the got a beast in the off-season, but they got rid of their depth.
One injury to either one of the big gunners and they are screwed.

I agree...they are a one line team. That's why it is vital to stay out of the penalty box against them. I said before the season started that would be their strategy- generate offense from the PP and try to lock it down, clutch, grab, block shots for the other lines. It was effective last night thanks to all of the PP minutes. The B's could not get any rhythm being in the box all night.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Cool. That's one tree (albeit a majestic redwood), but what about the forest as a whole? Our PP has sukked for quite awhile, all the while Z was collecting those points. Odaat might be onto something here. Maybe limiting Z's PP time might be one of those 1 step back, 2 steps forward type of deals.

The first PP last night was an example of why this team sucks on the PP. 2 measly shots, but from 45 feet out by their d, with no screen. Hard to score on any NHL goalie in that circumstance, let alone Lundqvist. So to me, it won't make a lick of difference whom they put out on the PP if the sole function is to continually run the play through the point.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
I think Seguin's speed pushes Lucic. Looch played very well with Seguin last year when they got matched up.

My thoughts exactly. One of the flaws in Lucic's game is that there are some nights when it seems that he's merely waiting for Krejci to make a play. Lucic is at his best when he's being a locomotive, barreling down the left wing to the net or to the corner, disrupting everything in his path (bonus points for Ryan Miller). Putting him with Seguin, even for a few shifts, will likely get his legs moving on those nights where he's being a spectator.

Even if it's not a permanent change, it could be a nice change-of-pace if the lines aren't clicking.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The first PP last night was an example of why this team sucks on the PP. 2 measly shots, but from 45 feet out by their d, with no screen. Hard to score on any NHL goalie in that circumstance, let alone Lundqvist. So to me, it won't make a lick of difference whom they put out on the PP if the sole function is to continually run the play through the point.

Every time they get the puck down low, it goes right back to the point. How about getting someone in front of the net and taking the puck to the net. Cause some traffic and muck it up.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Every time they get the puck down low, it goes right back to the point. How about getting someone in front of the net and taking the puck to the net. Cause some traffic and muck it up.

Which is what happened with Marchand`s goal, perfect example that you don`t have to be 6`5 to stand in front, takes guts and willingness and I`d like to see more of it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

No way. That would be far too effective and may actually result in them getting some goals. Who needs that aggravation??? :laugh:

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
it's only a matter of time before they try the flying v on the PP

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I thought it was a great game.

You had to know the Rangers were going to play some desperate hockey after starting 0-2. And while the B's got off to a slow start, I thought they showed a lot of character coming back twice.

And how 'bout Dougie effin Hamilton?

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

You had to know the Rangers were going to play some desperate hockey after starting 0-2. And while the B's got off to a slow start, I thought they showed a lot of character coming back twice.

if nothing else the kid is definitely thread worthy. ;)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I see peverley playing strong in the neutral zone stealing pucks and getting in passing lanes but aside from that he has been pretty mediocre. Kelly has been almost a complete no show on offense and I haven't seen bourque do anything. I'm not saying he's playing badly, Im saying I haven't seen him. He doesn't have the puck long enough for his name to be called. I think both he and pevs need to be booted from the PP and seguin needs to play the point on both units ala Ilya kovalchuk.

The third line has featured Ryder and pouliot as their "talent" the last 2 seasons and both played well in that role (particularly Ryder in the playoffs). I think the Bs need someone who can not only fit in with Kelly and peverley but stand out. Even with pouliots foolish penalties he still had the occasional jaw dropping goal. The bruins need that type of player back on the 3rd line or they will be a normal NHL 3rd line. And they have to be elite at that spot to beat the rangers who boast a far superior top line than the bruins have

Sweeney has suggested Knight play the off-wing to take advantage of his elite shot. Also, once his hamstring tear gets healed and all the tests clear him to play he wont be long for Providence.

You may not like him, Puritan aka Seguin aka Callbero rhymes with Riberio may not like him but Sweeney, Benning, Chia, and Wayne Smith do. I am rooting for Bourque cause thats how I roll but Knight with Peverley and Kelly will be one heck of a line.

jasonbaz77*

Some people were a little upset initially on draft day- I was psyched :D

Caper

Mar 15, 2004
Niagara
OT but Bill, when are you guys going to bring back Bruins Talk Radio after every game. Love it last year.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I want to ***** about the PP. It seems they are using 1-3-1 on the PP. This formation sucks. I have been watching PP goals by other teams in the league (PIT, PHI, VAN) and they all pretty much roll with an Umbrella or Overload. All of their plays start with a player coming of the half wall (Seguin) and having TWO passing options. One to the point, one down low behind the goal line, with another player in front of the goalie or near that area. Right now with the 1-3-1, trying to come off the half wall is useless because the D knows that either A they will shoot or B they will pass to the Dman. Having no second passing option ruins it because they just pressure you once and back you up to force a pass they know where its going.
Exhibit A: Obviously Pitt is awesome. But Crosby comes off the half wall with a pass from the point, he can either shoot, or pass to the D or Malkin down low. There is also a player parked in front of the goalie.

Now the Bruins:
at 1:12
Yes, they did score. Great example of a bad PP right? haha But the number of times I saw them take it from the half wall with only Lucic in front of the net, Seguin had nowhere to go with it and we just get pressured into forcing bad passes.
Rant over. Nice to steal 1 pt last night for sure.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Lucic - Bergeron - Seguin looked pretty damn impressive at the end of the 2nd last night. Several chances, good puck pursuit, good passing. Maybe swap Marchand and Lucic for a little while in the NYI game to see if that jumpstarts things?

Absolutely and thanks for reminding me of that. I thought we juggled lines there on purpose..they were dominant in the Rangers end.. I loved it.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Sweeney has suggested Knight play the off-wing to take advantage of his elite shot. Also, once his hamstring tear gets healed and all the tests clear him to play he wont be long for Providence.

You may not like him, Puritan aka Seguin aka Callbero rhymes with Riberio may not like him but Sweeney, Benning, Chia, and Wayne Smith do. I am rooting for Bourque cause thats how I roll but Knight with Peverley and Kelly will be one heck of a line.

I think knight could be a strong candidate down the line as long as he can get his shot off quickly. I have heard his shot is great but his release I have no info on. I don't have any problem with knight as a player, I think he's a legit NHL talent, I just question his long term durability. The way he plays in a straight line crashing the net is a difficult style to emulate night in and night out without considerable wear and tear on your body. I hope he proves me wrong but until then I don't trust his ability to stay healthy for a full season

BruinsFan64

Sep 17, 2009
I wish they'd be as aggresive on the PP as they are on the PK.

At times, the B's played better shorthanded then they did 5x5 and on the powerplay.

Well, at least we had 1 PPG last night, that was a start and Dougie picked up his first point.

reidy

@reidjjackson
Meh, all things considered you can't be too upset getting a point there last night. Bruins looked asleep at the wheel for the first 10 minutes of the game and still managed to hang with a hungry and talented Rangers team.

Some observations:

- The Bruins miss Dennis Seidenberg a lot. He makes that defense go.

- Dougie Hamilton was the best Bruins defenseman on the ice. I figured I'd write that sentence some day, just not in the 3rd game of the season. I'm beginning to think he may end up being the true prize from the Kessel trade, not Seguin.

- Speaking of #19, I haven't been all that impressed with his play thus far. He's looked okay, but given his success in Switzerland, perhaps I'm just expecting more. Still, he'll get it going soon no doubt.

- Rask was unbelievable last night. The saves he made with less than a minute to play saved the B's bacon and preserved a point. In a 48 game season, that's huge. I have full confidence in Tuukka.

- I'm still waiting for some forwards to start showing up, namely Kelly, Peverley, and Bourque. That line hasn't done much for me thus far.

- The Bruins PK is incredible.

- The Bruins PP isn't. Still, it's looking better than year's past, mostly thanks to the dynamic Dougie on the point.

- Rick Nash is insane. Up there with Malkin in terms of pure skill among NHL players. The moves he put on Boychuk and Lucic weren't even fair.

- The Rangers are going to be there in the end. They're big, fast, physical and play a great team game. I don't love the Bruins-Rangers matchup, but methinks the B's will probably have to go through them to get another shot at the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad