GDT: Bruins (2-0) at Rags (0-2) Wed 23 Jan 730PM EST NBCSN ,98.5 FM II

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Pretty happy with the game/result.

Usually down 2-0 to the Rags with Lundqvist is game over

First 10 mins, our boys were dominated

Claude`s TO, settles em down, and IMO, outside of a few shifts here and there, this game was our boys the much better team

PP with DH looked great, unbelievable to watch a kid do what virtually nobody else on our blueline do against the Rags by either finding a way to get a shot through (without a massive windup) and/or hold onto the puck, and be patient and step aside with it. Fantastic to see DH getting more and more comfortable out there game in and out.

Nice gritty point, gotta say it fans, DK busting arse out there, just had a "sample" of Crow post game last night:)

Poor Thorty with a giveaway we don`t often see from him and a real fluky pass from Kelly bounce over AF`s stick and of course, the wrong guy was there for the Rangers. Beauty hand/eye from Gabby

I may get hammered for this here, I`ll take DH on the PP anyday over Chara and it isn`t becuase I don`t love big Z, it`s the fact that when DH is there, the whole PP doesn`t focus on getting him the puck, with Z, the B`s players just seem to constantly try and set him up and it takes away from other opportunities.

Another observation- that Richards line, as expected was/is dynamic but is anyone else here underwhelmed with the rest of that crew in NY??? I know that Pyatt scored but really, the ONLY line I ever noticed out there for them was the Richards line, the others?? Barely noticeable

Nice start for our boys to the season, nice rebound from one of the ugliest 10 mins to start a game

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
After Rupp hit Bourque and received the penalty, I don`t recall Bourque getting on the ice again, in fact, almost sure Paille took his spot on the wing, any info if he was injured on the play?

He`s played ok but I have to say it, I miss the size Pouliot brought to that line

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
have to say, after the world juniors, i was really worried about hamilton but he looked great tonight...very happy about that

I wasn`t, as much as I love that tournament, far too many players and opinions of them get either way overblown with hype about great play for a 2 week stretch, or they don`t reach fans expectations and too many get panicky about their pro chances.

We often forget as well, these kids are fired together with not much time to build up chemistry, and on the blueline, to know where that partner is can be so important

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I may get hammered for this here, I`ll take DH on the PP anyday over Chara and it isn`t becuase I don`t love big Z, it`s the fact that when DH is there, the whole PP doesn`t focus on getting him the puck, with Z, the B`s players just seem to constantly try and set him up and it takes away from other opportunities.

My thoughts exactly. Chara, in my opinion, is hurting our PP more than he is helping it in the current role that he is in. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and I think he should win the Norris every year, but I think he is miscast on the PP. He has a big shot, and that is great, when he is able to get it through to the net, but my problem isn't with him shooting it. I think he could still be effective on the PP as a shooting option, but I don't like that the puck runs through him on the point as much as it does. Overall, he takes too long with the puck, he whiffs on passes and makes poor decisions that result in too many turnovers, and even his big shot gets blocked too often for my like.

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
Marchand missed practice the day before and it was reported to be a "game-time decision" as to whether he would play, so something is ailing him.

Evander Kane crushed him on Monday, so I think it's something between his head and shoulder that's ailing him. I thought Kane got a healthy piece of his "dome" on the hit, so I was glad to see him out there at all.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Another observation- that Richards line, as expected was/is dynamic but is anyone else here underwhelmed with the rest of that crew in NY??? I know that Pyatt scored but really, the ONLY line I ever noticed out there for them was the Richards line, the others?? Barely noticeable

Yep, I'm not afraid of them at all if they keep rolling Gaborik - Richards - Nash.
One hell of a line, but the rest isn't really that good. Their bottom 6 is meh ...
The fourth time hardly gets ice-time ... the second line is invisible.
Yes, the got a beast in the off-season, but they got rid of their depth.
One injury to either one of the big gunners and they are screwed.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
I think Krejci was fighting the puck the entire night. It would explode off of his stick. Rough game.

Is it just me, or is the ice in MSG even worse than TD? People were falling, puck wasn't cooperating at all unless it was one a Blueshirts stick..

SupremefartMachine

Oct 2, 2010
Vermont
Pretty happy with the game/result.

Usually down 2-0 to the Rags with Lundqvist is game over

First 10 mins, our boys were dominated

Claude`s TO, settles em down, and IMO, outside of a few shifts here and there, this game was our boys the much better team

PP with DH looked great, unbelievable to watch a kid do what virtually nobody else on our blueline do against the Rags by either finding a way to get a shot through (without a massive windup) and/or hold onto the puck, and be patient and step aside with it. Fantastic to see DH getting more and more comfortable out there game in and out.

Nice gritty point, gotta say it fans, DK busting arse out there, just had a "sample" of Crow post game last night:)

Poor Thorty with a giveaway we don`t often see from him and a real fluky pass from Kelly bounce over AF`s stick and of course, the wrong guy was there for the Rangers. Beauty hand/eye from Gabby

Nice start for our boys to the season, nice rebound from one of the ugliest 10 mins to start a game

I agreed with everything written here, but this especially. Chara on the PP is frustrating. He's got that big shot, but he has a tough time getting it through or hitting the net. I like Dougie's ability to find a way to hit the net, even against a team like the Rangers.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He's no longer the sole focus of the oppositions defense and has room to maneuver rather then scoring all his goals with 3 or 4 guys draped all over him.

Nash is a beast.

Since Torts is in my face 24-7 in this town, I can't help but be impressed by the things he says about Nash.... John is not one to gush over a player, but he does with Nash.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Agreed. He looks really off 5 on 5. Still does the PK and faceoff thing, but he and Seguin look pretty bad 5 on 5 right now..

Yeah, that line is struggling to find its rhythm right now. They have had chances, especially in the first two games, but they are just coming up short for whatever reason.

Obviously you keep Bergy as your main face-off man on that line, but I wonder if it would help to then have him and Seguin switch positionally after the face-off is taken. I just can't help but think that putting Seguin at center would give him more space through the neutral zone and also give him the ability to attack the defense a little differently and have both wings at his disposal coming into the zone. As it is now, he seems to get ridden off along the boards a lot. I think the more space you can give him to work with, the better he will be.

All that being said, I think once those guys put one in the back of the net, they will get the confidence back and get going.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agreed with everything written here, but this especially. Chara on the PP is frustrating. He's got that big shot, but he has a tough time getting it through or hitting the net. I like Dougie's ability to find a way to hit the net, even against a team like the Rangers.

And to add if I may, I`d still use him on the PP, but as a 2nd unit guy and let`s face it, the overwhelming majority of teams don`t have a coach like Torts who insists blocking shots and collapsing is THE only defensive way to go, my opinion has been, and still is to this day that his approach will catch up via incredible fatigue, or major injuries, never considered that game plan as coaching wizardry but it`s worked thus far.

Chara against teams less apt to block shots isn`t a problem, Z against a team like the Rags who`s ONLY system is to block shots, big problem

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yeah, that line is struggling to find its rhythm right now. They have had chances, especially in the first two games, but they are just coming up short for whatever reason.

Obviously you keep Bergy as your main face-off man on that line, but I wonder if it would help to then have him and Seguin switch positionally after the face-off is taken. I just can't help but think that putting Seguin at center would give him more space through the neutral zone and also give him the ability to attack the defense a little differently and have both wings at his disposal coming into the zone. As it is now, he seems to get ridden off along the boards a lot. I think the more space you can give him to work with, the better he will be.

All that being said, I think once those guys put one in the back of the net, they will get the confidence back and get going.

Not worried one bit in spite of what you and Whammer have stated, this is the kind of line that you just know, will click eventually

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Not worried one bit in spite of what you and Whammer have stated, this is the kind of line that you just know, will click eventually

I'm certainly not worried about them. Like I said, once they click they will click, but I wonder if a slight change like moving Seguin to the middle after the face-off would just help jump-start things a bit, and make this a better line in the long-run. I'm not sure it will happen though. Offensively, it probably makes them a better line, but defensively, Claude might have reservations.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

The rainforest weeps as Seguin's offense sleeps.

The kid sure could use one of those patented Terry O'Reilly carom-off-the-butt type of goals to get him off the shnide.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The rainforest weeps as Seguin's offense sleeps.

The kid sure could use one of those patented Terry O'Reilly carom-off-the-butt type of goals to get him off the shnide.

Yep, working hard though, exceptionally impressed with his assertiveness on the puck pursuit. He`s doing the little things right, the rest will come

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Shocked Claude didn't try to match them up vs the Richards line more. I agree, they will be fine, but considering they both played during the lockout you would expect a crisper, more productive 5 on 5 game IMO... Hardly a reason to panic however.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yep, I'm not afraid of them at all if they keep rolling Gaborik - Richards - Nash.
One hell of a line, but the rest isn't really that good. Their bottom 6 is meh ...
The fourth time hardly gets ice-time ... the second line is invisible.
Yes, the got a beast in the off-season, but they got rid of their depth.
One injury to either one of the big gunners and they are screwed.

As a rangers fan yeah I'm worried about their depth, though they have some prospects coming in the next few years to help that out. In the other hand it's early and a lot of guys are trying to find their games. I think the big line will get broken up to spread things out once the team settles in. For now it kind of feels like when the Pens load up with Malkin Crosby and Neal

Bruins in general still look good though, Rask came up big a lot of times. Should be another good season for you guys

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Shocked Claude didn't try to match them up vs the Richards line more. I agree, they will be fine, but considering they both played during the lockout you would expect a crisper, more productive 5 on 5 game IMO... Hardly a reason to panic however.

I wonder, and chances are I`m way off here but with Segs playing with Kane in Switzerland if that has anything to do with timing issues? Again, I`d be more concerned if they were hurting rather than helping the team out there. Having watched a few other teams play now, the rust is everywhere and suprisingly often from those who played elsewhere during the lockout?

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
Agreed. He looks really off 5 on 5. Still does the PK and faceoff thing, but he and Seguin look pretty bad 5 on 5 right now..

Lucic - Bergeron - Seguin looked pretty damn impressive at the end of the 2nd last night. Several chances, good puck pursuit, good passing. Maybe swap Marchand and Lucic for a little while in the NYI game to see if that jumpstarts things?

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

Richards line has a relatively quiet game against us on the road, and are lights out at home. Wonder why that is. ;)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
When I checked the NYR TOI I was kinda stunned ... Stepan and Callahan had more minutes than their top-liners? Wtf? I thought those two were pretty much invisible.

I'd bet it was because of PK time. Gaborik and Richards don't PK much and while it looks like Nash will PK, he was taking short shifts.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Lucic - Bergeron - Seguin looked pretty damn impressive at the end of the 2nd last night. Several chances, good puck pursuit, good passing. Maybe swap Marchand and Lucic for a little while in the NYI game to see if that jumpstarts things?

I think Seguin's speed pushes Lucic. Looch played very well with Seguin last year when they got matched up.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Seguin was a giveaway machine last night.

After the way he played in Switzerland, I'm hungry for more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad