GDT: Bruins (2-0) at Rags (0-2) Wed 23 Jan 730PM EST NBCSN ,98.5 FM II

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Rask played great. Can't blame him for that amazing Gaborik bat-goal. Sniper on a breakaway in OT and he made the first save. Was solid all night.

Great to see Dougie playing so well and get his first point. Hope to see more of those. I love his confidence in going down low as well.

B's need to get their passes clicking better. Especially in the 1st, lots of passes into skates - shunted more than a few breakouts.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I see peverley playing strong in the neutral zone stealing pucks and getting in passing lanes but aside from that he has been pretty mediocre. Kelly has been almost a complete no show on offense and I haven't seen bourque do anything. I'm not saying he's playing badly, Im saying I haven't seen him. He doesn't have the puck long enough for his name to be called. I think both he and pevs need to be booted from the PP and seguin needs to play the point on both units ala Ilya kovalchuk.

The third line has featured Ryder and pouliot as their "talent" the last 2 seasons and both played well in that role (particularly Ryder in the playoffs). I think the Bs need someone who can not only fit in with Kelly and peverley but stand out. Even with pouliots foolish penalties he still had the occasional jaw dropping goal. The bruins need that type of player back on the 3rd line or they will be a normal NHL 3rd line. And they have to be elite at that spot to beat the rangers who boast a far superior top line than the bruins have

I agree the 3rd line needs a talent player. It has two great grinders 2 way players but it needs a goal scorer with offensive talent. Someone that can be the offensive cornerstone to that line and fit in with the speed that is already there.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
One of the most encouraging things about tonight was our forecheck in the 2nd and 3rd. We had them pinned and gasping for long stretches of time. Once the passes becomes crisper and we get a little more continuity to our cycling, we could see some sweet offense unfold.

A couple of other random thoughts:

- I enjoy playing the Rags. Yeah, the shot-blocking can get a little tedious, but they're all in all a fairly honorable team. With HL in net and Gabby/Nash in front, they pose a bona fide challenge to the B's. It's a team that can only make us better. Now, should we meet in the ECFs, I'll be plenty nervous...

- If Looch gained weight, he's using it to his advantage. Both his goals have benefitted from his sheer mass and immovability.

- Bergy looks great out there.

- Seguin's got the jump in his step, but I still worry about his decision-making as he enters the zone. Ah well, I'll just chill and enjoy his development for now.

- Two U's and two K's, what can I say.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
The third line has featured Ryder and pouliot as their "talent" the last 2 seasons and both played well in that role (particularly Ryder in the playoffs). I think the Bs need someone who can not only fit in with Kelly and peverley but stand out. Even with pouliots foolish penalties he still had the occasional jaw dropping goal. The bruins need that type of player back on the 3rd line or they will be a normal NHL 3rd line. And they have to be elite at that spot to beat the rangers who boast a far superior top line than the bruins have

Great point. The 3rd line needs a catalyst.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
The Bruins didn't start playing until 10 minutes in and still managed a point. I'll take it considering the Rags must have been chomping at the bit to start this one at the risk of going 0-3.

Love Thornton but glad Clode nailed his butt to the bench after that turnover when the Bruins had fought back to tie it at 2.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
just finished watching the game and boy am i FIRED UP!

3 out of a possible 4 points against a team, and goalie, that has owned us since the last lockout. are you kidding me? Tortorella wants no part of us anymore and can't wait until the season series with us is over, i gar-un-tee!

Love the never say die attitude and resiliency. Me likey! :D

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
The Bruins didn't start playing until 10 minutes in and still managed a point. I'll take it considering the Rags must have been chomping at the bit to start this one at the risk of going 0-3.

Love Thornton but glad Clode nailed his butt to the bench after that turnover when the Bruins had fought back to tie it at 2.
Yes,considering the dynamics of the situation with the Rangers losing their first two games,I was very pleased the B's got a point.The B's were back on their heels a lot in the game but overall,they played hard,they easily could have mailed it in ,like they did frequently last year. Rask has been very good,it's early on but he seems to have improved in many areas .Hamilton has been great,you never know with rookies[especially a defenceman]how quickly they will adapt but he seems very poised.I would say Hamilton has been as good as any Bruins D.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
he was - and when nash abused him, boychuk was playing the unfamiliar left side - you could see he was out of sorts and his footwork was a bit off. anyway, my favorite "boychuk" is when he skates behind the net on a PK and absolutely blasts the puck around the boards no matter what's going on. drilled the linseman tonight. oops.

Good, but doesn't quite usurp Lucic Ryan Millering the ref last game. :laugh:

"Raaaar, puck!" *flump* "Raaar!!!"

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
This was Bergeron's worst game in a very long time.

Have to disagree. He won key faceoffs on the 5on3 penalty kill and was again a force defensively. It was not a bad game for Bergy. If it was a bad game it just goes to show how good Bergy is. I mean at one point he was 11 for 13 on faceoffs which gives his team alot of possession.

To me the game came down to a few sloppy plays in the defensive coverage department. Thornton missed his clear which lead to the Rangers third goal and Ference made an ill-advised pass in overtime.

I'm wondering if Marchand is sick or something because, despite the goals, he seems to be fighting it. He had a hard time with the puck tonight highlighted by when he passed the puck off with an oppurtunity to shoot from the slot. He also had trouble clearing the puck on the pk.

Dougie looked great again. I like him better with Chara so that Boychuk can help out Ference. Boychuk was a beast tonight.

One thing is for sure the B's did not let the Rangers win easy.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

so you don't like sitting back cool as a cucumber while your team is about to try and kill a 3 on 5 knowing full well that Bergy will win the faceoff and thereby kill at least 15 all important seconds right off the bat? The kid is money on the faceoff dot and a big reason why the blue seats were THAT close to booing their own PP unit for it's inept handling of a 5 on 3.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Have to disagree. He won key faceoffs on the 5on3 penalty kill and was again a force defensively. It was not a bad game for Bergy. If it was a bad game it just goes to show how good Bergy is. I mean at one point he was 11 for 13 on faceoffs which gives his team alot of possession.

To me the game came down to a few sloppy plays in the defensive coverage department. Thornton missed his clear which lead to the Rangers third goal and Ference made an ill-advised pass in overtime.

I'm wondering if Marchand is sick or something because, despite the goals, he seems to be fighting it. He had a hard time with the puck tonight highlighted by when he passed the puck off with an oppurtunity to shoot from the slot. He also had trouble clearing the puck on the pk.

Dougie looked great again. I like him better with Chara so that Boychuk can help out Ference. Boychuk was a beast tonight.

One thing is for sure the B's did not let the Rangers win easy.

Marchand missed practice the day before and it was reported to be a "game-time decision" as to whether he would play, so something is ailing him.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

He did look gassed to me at times. That's going to happen when he only takes a/b a 20 second rest per penalty kill. He didn't get a lot of help from his wings in crucial areas tonight, either. Especially on their boards in their own zone. Physical battles still not their strong-suit. Every Time they lose one, or a D-man successfully pinches, and the puck gets dropped back in deep it's more work for #37. They didn't do a whole lot in the opposing zone either.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bergy had an earful for the refs at the end of the game. He took a high stick in the chops towards the end of the game behind his own net. Gave the ref look who of course blew him off. The difference between Bergy and 99.9% of the league is, he kept playing and stayed on his feet. Unfortunately playing the game like you have a sack doesn't get you a lot of calls these days.

Last edited:

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Meh, just got around to watching the game. I am content with one point.

Rask was pretty good. He had some huge saves on some defensive lapses. I think he deserved better

Chara needs to shoot more, especially against a team that wants to block shots. They might thank twice about laying out if Chara is the one shooting.

Hamilton's best game by far. Sound defensively, and had some great plays offensively. That pass across to Seguin was crazy.

I am happy with one point against the Rags

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
just finished watching the game and boy am i FIRED UP!

3 out of a possible 4 points against a team, and goalie, that has owned us since the last lockout. are you kidding me? Tortorella wants no part of us anymore and can't wait until the season series with us is over, i gar-un-tee!

Love the never say die attitude and resiliency. Me likey! :D

Totally agree with this.

The only thing that bothers me right now is our guys talked about how pumped up and ready the Rangers were going to be and for them to come out so flat is uncalled for.

But they battled back and gained a very valuable point.

Rask looked great and Hamilton, well this kid just keeps amazing me with his play. But Julien said it best when he talked with McGuire. "He just needs to play" I think his words were.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
anyway, my favorite "boychuk" is when he skates behind the net on a PK and absolutely blasts the puck around the boards no matter what's going on. drilled the linseman tonight. oops.

Boychuk is very good at clearing the puck on the PK. I don't think he is all that good though playing off side. I actually think Seids plays best on his off side though.

I definitely want Seids to come back.

The third line has featured Ryder and pouliot as their "talent" the last 2 seasons and both played well in that role (particularly Ryder in the playoffs).

Ryder drove me bonkers mostly because of how much he was paid. I actually didn't mind Pouliot (although he seemed to have zero hockey IQ)-he was productive enough for the money. I agree that what the line needs on the wing is somebody with talent. I still think Borque needs a few more games, but that line in all three games IMO has been the weakest. Peverly and Kelly have been wicked good on the PK, and I have seen Peverly steal, win and keep the puck, but they just don't seem to be generating sustained offensive pressure or really good scoring opportunities.

I still think Horton looks better right now than he did last season. He still seems a little behind the play, but he looks leaps and bounds better.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Boychuk is very good at clearing the puck on the PK. I don't think he is all that good though playing off side. I actually think Seids plays best on his off side though.

I definitely want Seids to come back.

Ryder drove me bonkers mostly because of how much he was paid. I actually didn't mind Pouliot (although he seemed to have zero hockey IQ)-he was productive enough for the money. I agree that what the line needs on the wing is somebody with talent. I still think Borque needs a few more games, but that line in all three games IMO has been the weakest. Peverly and Kelly have been wicked good on the PK, and I have seen Peverly steal, win and keep the puck, but they just don't seem to be generating sustained offensive pressure or really good scoring opportunities.

I still think Horton looks better right now than he did last season. He still seems a little behind the play, but he looks leaps and bounds better.

I agree that Ryder drove me nuts too for the money he was making and what he provided. Pouliot was okay, but not the talent that was needed. Bourque simply isn't there. There games and the third line has let this team down. No offense to them whatsoever. This does not need to be a 10 game audition. 5 will be plenty enough. Admit what it really is "Bourque is not good enough". Give Spooner a chance or simply find a more talented offensive player that can make plays so that line can generate some chances.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
good point.
the boys looked good from when i started watching, which was start of the second.
Pinned the rags in their Dzone for a couple long shifts in this game.

Just a quick observation of the 3 games Id say the weakest at D so far has been mcquaid and the weakest at forward would be 3rd line LW.

But man is it frustrating watching the rangers block every Bruins shot from the point.
I think hamilton was the ONLY player to deke around a shot block for a good scoring chance. The guy is 19 and is already the Bruins D most poised player with the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad