Post-Game Talk: Bruins 1, Lottery 0

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't know. There's almost something noble in this. I mean, Captain Smith went down with Titanic.

wow, what is this thing against Ryan. he is by far, by far best analyst of Penguins in blogosphere. He uses advance stats to come up with conclusions, but he is not deprived from watching games. he is sticking to his guns because Kunitz has high Fenwick and Corsi and all that stuff, I respect his position. Now that comes from me I was rediculed on these very boards ovet two years ago cause I could not stand Kunitz, I always taught that his decline is so transparent, could not beleive that people don't see

Anyways, I don't need to defend Ryan, he can speak for himself, but he is lightyears better than all of these Penguins suckups...his assessment is actually for the most part in line with the many of the posters here that had this pavloviev reaction on his statement about Kunitz

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
This game was a nightmare from the start to the end. Injuries, boring, Kunitz´s missed open net, everything. Lovejoy was bad, I won´t comment on Kunitz anymore because it´s a pattern now. I know that Crosby & Malkin weren´t playing, but how about Perron? I didn´t even notice him there. My only "+" goes to Hornqvist today.

Also, Ehrhoff is so mediocre. His shot is non-existent now and it was comical how he was beaten on that 1-on-1 play. Paul Martin is good defensively but his offense is at Scuderi´s level now.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
5v5 only - 5 game sample (I just used 5 games from Jan for Ehrhoff)

Player | Saved | Missed | Blocked
Letang | 42% | 16% | 42%
Scuderi | 50% | 10% | 40%
Martin | 20% | 40% | 40%
Pouliot | 46% | 23% | 31%
Lovejoy | 31% | 38% | 31%
Ehrhoff | 43% | 29% | 29%
Cole | 36% | 45% | 18%
Cole (career) | 42% | 25% | 33%

Based on his career numbers and particularly his numbers over the past two seasons, I would expect Cole to be better than Martin and probably close to Ehrhoff.

I think that Scuderi mostly tosses the puck to the corner or occasionally hits the goaltender in the chest or is blocked.

EDIT:
I was surprised by the comment about Cole's shot because while impressive (and unexpected on my part) it hadn't been particularly accurate with the Pens which was in contrast to his previous numbers when I looked.

Interesting. I would've thought he'd have better shot statistics than that. Scuderi's missed shots were probably discounted as Steigy and Errey love to say, he shot it deliberately wide of the net.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
wow, what is this thing against Ryan. he is by far, by far best analyst of Penguins in blogosphere. He uses advance stats to come up with conclusions, but he is not deprived from watching games. he is sticking to his guns because Kunitz has high Fenwick and Corsi and all that stuff, I respect his position. Now that comes from me I was rediculed on these very boards ovet two years ago cause I could not stand Kunitz, I always taught that his decline is so transparent, could not beleive that people don't see

Anyways, I don't need to defend Ryan, he can speak for himself, but he is lightyears better than all of these Penguins suckups...his assessment is actually for the most part in line with the many of the posters here that had this pavloviev reaction on his statement about Kunitz

I don't have quite as much disdain for him as others might, but he seems to overly rely on shot differential statistics for the majority of his blogs - see his hatred of Sutter and defense of Kunitz.

However, shot differentials actually do a poor job of explaining individual talent particularly on defense or if it's uncommon. Consider Crosby, who is considered the best player in the world, but it isn't because of his shot differential statistics. Or Alex Tanguay or Shea Weber. Corsi and Fenwick do a poor job explaining the underlying processes of hockey. They are important from an analyst perspective because they are measurable, repeatable, and predictive; however, they don't account for everything that is important in hockey (luck, goaltending talent, special teams, unknown variables) and importantly need context.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think Cole has been better in the OZ than I expected, but he's not getting his shot on net. In a small sample with the Pens, he's only getting 36.4% of his shots on net; 45.5% miss the net, and 18.2% are blocked.

Good news, over the past two seasons his shots on net improved to 42%. He also tends to miss the net less (24%) but have more block shots (34%).

That is a compilation of all of his shots.

I should have been more specific, but I was talking about his shot from the point. That is what I mentioned a few times after the trade that impressed me about him from some footage I watched. He pretty much always gets it on net and he gets it off fast.

I've seen him miss a few snapshots off the rush and from the HB, but at least he is throwing them towards the net, unlike Scuds.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
That is a compilation of all of his shots.

I should have been more specific, but I was talking about his shot from the point. That is what I mentioned a few times after the trade that impressed me about him from some footage I watched. He pretty much always gets it on net and he gets it off fast.

I've seen him miss a few snapshots off the rush and from the HB, but at least he is throwing them towards the net, unlike Scuds.

I was impressed by his shooting and willingness to shoot from wherever he could get a shot off, and his shot is certainly powerful. Putting together his accuracy would make him dangerous in the offensive zone.

For me, Cole's bigger problems have been adjusting to the breakout and making passes without icing the puck (which I would love to see numbers on). It's a new system, and he's paired with Scuderi which doesn't help.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
+The headless body of the Penguins showed it at least has the muscle memory to play a playoff hockey type of game.

-The head (Crosby and Malkin) became detached through some kind of St Patty's Day
voodoo

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was impressed by his shooting and willingness to shoot from wherever he could get a shot off, and his shot is certainly powerful. Putting together his accuracy would make him dangerous in the offensive zone.

For me, Cole's bigger problems have been adjusting to the breakout and making passes without icing the puck (which I would love to see numbers on). It's a new system, and he's paired with Scuderi which doesn't help.

He was handling the puck like a grenade for the first several games. The last two games I was pretty happy with his ability to handle it under pressure and snap off a crisp pass. The knock on him seems to be consistency and making dumb turnovers. So those aren't issues that can't be corrected with steady TOI.

We'll see how he does long term, but I'm just hoping he can be a good #5. He seems like he could have a nice all around skill set if he puts it all together.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I feel like Sid should have played as then the Bruins would have stayed far away from him and given him open space.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
I'd rather have the sound off or listen to Mike Lange out of sync with the game than listen to those 2 clowns.
I swear that they destroy my brain cells every time I listen to them. Errey is tolerable in small doses but Steiggy is beyond horrible.

Most other teams announcers (French or English) > NBC > no sound > S & E.

I've been dying to figure out a way to sync up Lange and the 'ol 29'er with the Root feed, but the ridiculous delay makes it about impossible.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Pens show fight against Bruins after losing stars but lose

The Penguins put up a valiant fight against the Boston Bruins in an early afternoon game, but ultimately couldn't break down Tuukka Rask in the Boston net. The Penguins job was made immeasurably harder by the loss of Crosby in the warm-ups due to an unspecified illness and then the gradual loss of Malkin throughout the game. Malkin was hit early in the first and seemed to be hurt as he sat hunched over for a good while before going down the tunnel. He returned but left again during the second period to leave the Penguins without their top centers.

Read more; http://t.co/fqkgYzRwyN

SHOOTANDSCORE said:
Has any kind of alternative to capgeek emerged?

I hope he is doing well.

I think the best right now is NHLNumbers or Spotrac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad