Post-Game Talk: Bruins 1, Lottery 0

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Let me try that again...

I'll keep refreshing this thread. If any Sid or Geno news pop up, please post it in here. Thanks.

ETA: Liked what i saw, systems wise.

ObsessedCreative*

It would only be fitting if Kunitz shot a puck in warmups that hit Sid and broke his hand or foot and he's done for the year needing surgery and then Malkin messed up his knee bad kneeing surgery and done for the season as well... YOURRRRRRR PITTTSBURGHHHHHHHHHHH PENGUINSSSSSSSSSS!!!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What follows below is a comment from Cole from the GDT. He's right in the sense that this team, as a whole, is playing the way you need to play to win in the playoffs. The problem with that, as I note below, is that there are two critical differences between this season and that magical season.

I'll just keep being right about all my hockey assessments and you can just challenge away. Just like people said I was crazy when I said our 08-09 team could win the Cup w/ the roster they had. Just like I said DB's change of the defensive system would haunt us.

I'll go with my assessment on this one.

The Pens aren't going to have the opponents they played in 2008-2009 (no defense in the East and Datsyuk hurt in the finals).

And, Fedotenko @ 14 minutes + playoff Talbot > Kunitz @ 18 minutes + Comeau.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It would only be fitting if Kunitz shot a puck in warmups that hit Sid and broke his hand or foot and he's done for the year needing surgery and then Malkin messed up his knee bad kneeing surgery and done for the season as well... YOURRRRRRR PITTTSBURGHHHHHHHHHHH PENGUINSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Here's the only way to summarize how comically bad Chris Kunitz has been:

Let's make this as clear as possible:

Chris Kunitz has 1 goal since February 1.

That 1 goal: http://sports.yahoo.com/video/chris-kunitz-goal-braden-holtby-032553901.html.

Look at it. Malkin does 90% of the work. Comeau does 9%. Kunitz beats a guy to the net and scores from 3 inches away with Holtby out of position after the shot from Comeau on the angle found its way through his legs and settled on the goal line, in the middle.

And, even then, it probably was a ******* miracle that Kunitz (a) got to that puck and (b) didn't find some way to **** it up.

He's played with Sid. He's played with Geno. He's played with Geno in a god mode. He's been on the top PP every time except the game against Columbus where it actually was proficient.

And the only ******* goal he's got since February 1 is THAT.

If his name were Beau Bennett, he'd have been dealt at the deadline for some experienced scrub for the bottom six.

The only justification for Kunitz's role right now is that Tocchet is going all in for Pittsburgh's round one opponent (as a side note, that also would help to explain the sorry state of the PP).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What follows below is a comment from Cole from the GDT. He's right in the sense that this team, as a whole, is playing the way you need to play to win in the playoffs. The problem with that, as I note below, is that there are two critical differences between this season and that magical season.

The Pens aren't going to have the opponents they played in 2008-2009 (no defense in the East and Datsyuk hurt in the finals).

And, Fedotenko @ 14 minutes + playoff Talbot > Kunitz @ 18 minutes + Comeau.

The legendary "playoff" Talbot.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Here are my Three Minuses of the Game (and some plussarz)

--- Kunitz
-- Steigerdunce and Error
- This team's skill level when Sid or Geno are out, let alone both. Certainly having Horny and Perron should make us a better playoff team -- they are built for that type of game -- but on balance it's like any time we lose a big name it becomes "win scrappy". Teams with real depth don't have to resort to that type of game.

+ Greiss played a real nice game
+ Our D played well for the most part
+ Downie's hit on Seidenberg. :laugh: That was awesome.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
+ outplayed opponent
+ got more chances than opponent
+ outhit opponent
+ Hornqvist
- losing top two players
- opponent having a better goalie
- missing glorious chances
- comets, Letang's aim and Kunitz in general

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I watched the game in French. That's how badly I want to avoid Steiggy and Errey.

Can't cry about this one. The team played great, and they deserved a better fate.

However, the usual suspects still stand out, and while the Pens have as good a chance as anyone at coming out of the East, they hurt their chances by giving Kunitz prominent minutes, and Scuderi ANY minutes at all.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The legendary "playoff" Talbot.

He was just that for 16 fortuitously timed games.

By the way, if you want an analogy for 2008-2009, then he's another:

Chris Kunitz is Petr Sykora. Sykora looked okay in Therrien's trapping system, but after the coaching change, when more skating was required, Sykora always was a half step behind the play, exactly like Kunitz is now.

The only reason the Pens won the cup in 2008-2009 is because the coaches then had the 'courage' (amazing what a 2-0 series deficit does to make what had been obvious for a month obvious even to a blind man) to swap Talbot for Sykora.

IF these coaches insist upon Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau, then this coaching staff will face a similar dilemma at some point in the playoffs. Be it Winnik or Bennett or Spaling, they're going to have to make a move with Kunitz similar to Talbot for Sykora.

Thing is, these coaches won't do it. The entire organization is too worried about the room to worry about winning in the playoffs.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
stupid Adams, I know it was you...

turbolax.gif

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Hopefully Adams turnover to Lucic is enough to keep him out of the lineup. I know they were strapped with the Crosby Situation, but that should be the icing on the cake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad