Post-Game Talk: Bruce there it Is - Canucks def. Kings - 4-0 (Boeser, Garland, Lammikko, Miller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
just a couple days ago we still had tons of people blaming fans and media being toxic for wanting a change. not talking here but in general social media i saw this. now theres not a soul that would want benning and green back

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Well that was WEIRD. Quite conflicting actually.
After weeks of watching, and I dare say hoping, they would lose I found myself mildly impressed.

What we witnessed was called the "Hawthorne Effect". Bruce really didn't do much but you could see the team was "lighter" on their skates

Even though they did win decisively, it was a win on the schedule.
2nd of back to backs with a border crossing and all the covid stuff involved

The other thing to remember is that this is not the group that will be here next year. Benning's legacy will see to that. The team is over the cap now and has multimillion dollar raises for the next two years which will strip the team of vets and there are no prospects to step up.
Truly a one time team.

But it was fun to cheer FOR them and they did look good.

Reactions: MarkMM

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Considering this was our best game all season, in terms of 60 minute effort, and our lines gelling, I think he gets alot if credit for getting the boys ready and believing in themselves again.
Agree to that...

Just saying it was emotional/mental boost rather than an X's & O's one. I.e. our team already has it in them to put a 60 min game together...

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
The Canucks looked a bit tentative in the first period last night ..Its apparent that there is still confusion on some zone exits (BB said they will be working on that today), still quite a bit of 'you take it, Ive got it'.........The good teams have these breakouts down pat, split second one touch passes...and you're off.

Its almost as of BB has taken the shackles off a bit, and gone back to simplifying their game..Small sample size, but it looks a style which is a lot more conducive to the players we have.

He is a dinosaur coach..to put it mildly..he's funny though..swears a lot..like a 'bad grandpa'....He said that one of the most important things was to have the players (and the fans) having fun again..Working so far..
Yes, finally the organization has get rid of its liability in Benning and Green. Bruce, like you said,is a dinosaur coach, but at least an upgrade towards Green, and no GM is definitely better than Benning. At least nothing is being done instead of actively harming this franchise with stupid decision.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Well that was WEIRD. Quite conflicting actually.
After weeks of watching, and I dare say hoping, they would lose I found myself mildly impressed.

What we witnessed was called the "Hawthorne Effect". Bruce really didn't do much but you could see the team was "lighter" on their skates

Even though they did win decisively, it was a win on the schedule.
2nd of back to backs with a border crossing and all the covid stuff involved

The other thing to remember is that this is not the group that will be here next year. Benning's legacy will see to that. The team is over the cap now and has multimillion dollar raises for the next two years which will strip the team of vets and there are no prospects to step up.
Truly a one time team.

But it was fun to cheer FOR them and they did look good.
There were already some big differences like aggressive forecheck and getting the D to cycle the puck instead of going for low % shot from the point. The forwards supported the D better when breaking out and the PK looks way different. The only thing that was similar was the PP. We also gave up like way fewer odd man rush because of the changes.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
just a couple days ago we still had tons of people blaming fans and media being toxic for wanting a change. not talking here but in general social media i saw this. now theres not a soul that would want benning and green back
wrong, theres a segment of benning bros on twitter who used the win last night to dunk that benning put together a good roster

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
There were already some big differences like aggressive forecheck and getting the D to cycle the puck instead of going for low % shot from the point. The forwards supported the D better when breaking out and the PK looks way different. The only thing that was similar was the PP. We also gave up like way fewer odd man rush because of the changes.
Even Bruce said it would take several practices to change things, I think that game was always there but it was the attitudes, expectations or even hope of the players that looked better.

But it was what is described as a scheduled win, there were lots of missed opportunities by LA that they were burying just 22 hours earlier.

LA looked slow and tired as the game went on

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Even Bruce said it would take several practices to change things, I think that game was always there but it was the attitudes, expectations or even hope of the players that looked better.

But it was what is described as a scheduled win, there were lots of missed opportunities by LA that they were burying just 22 hours earlier.

LA looked slow and tired as the game went on
Of course it will take awhile for all of that to take effect but the difference is style was already there yesterday. Did you see forecheck like that with Green’s system? The amount of times the D skipping the shot and passing the puck back down low was way higher than any other games. The amount of times the puck being cycled into the slot was also way higher.
We weren’t even collapsing in the defensive zone and it was just aggressive back checking and the forwards weren’t waiting at the other blue line during a breakout.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
He's either a shameless lap dog or doesn't understand hockey. Maybe both.

Hes a passive aggressive contrarian, only words I have been able to use to describe imac since i have had to hear him for years while following the team.

If you like how the team played one night he will find something to be a dick about and point out a flaw, if you are pissed about the team like we were recently, he will find a way to defend those in charge and explain how its not there fault.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
And one of his mistakes inside his million of mistakes is resigning Travis Green and deciding do die on a hill with him.

Biggest idiot in the league hiring 2 amateur coach and doubling down on the 2nd one when he had the chance to hire some experienced coaches.
Totally agree

coaching decisions were tge biggest mistakes

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
we couldnt trade markstrom because we were bad and benning decided to trade a first for miller and that pushed us to competing for an 8th seed position. in his position he should of saw that this would be the last year he can get anything from markstrom and tanev and instead tried to compete and couldnt trade them. also dont forget hamhuis walking too to add to that list. and giving up on dahlen
Username eliteness award unlocked

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Absolutely agree

Jb’s biggest 2 mistakes were hiring Willie and Green

and also not punting Green when it was apparent Green was in incompetent

As we begin to turn it around under a real coach remember who put the core that is winning together
Wat.

Congrats to the guy who went all in every year to compete but sucked so bad at his job that he got gifted 5 top 10 picks in 7 years? And whiffed on half of them anyways. With 2nd round picks so high it was basically another first? And whiffed on almost all of them anyways? And this was the area of his job that he was by far the best at?

As the Edmonton Oilers turn it around this year, remember who drafted McDavid, Puljujarvi, and Bouchard!

Green was a disaster but as bad of a coach as Green is, and he really was one of the worst in the league if not the worst... Benning was a worse GM.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Ducks fan here, truly love seeing Bruce back at the helm. Wish you success!

the stigma around his game 7 losses are overblown. I always thought it was more of the players not showing up than anything.
Thanks ducks friend. Been pulling for you guys this season and if we both make the playoffs hope to have a fun series! If we dont and you do, definitely gunna be my western team.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Absolutely agree

As we begin to turn it around under a real coach remember who put the core that is winning together

Yes, let's remember the guy who mortgaged our future by throwing away a plethora of draft picks, pissing away prospects and sadling the team years into the future with cap deadweight after nearly a decade of bottoming out, maxing out at the cap and having a middling drafting record that leaves our team bereft of prospects and with a joke of a defensive structure...all to MAYBE squeak into the playoffs due to the miraculous work of a great coach.

Because that's what Benning will rightly be known for as a disaster of a GM.

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
Miller , hughes, podz, hogs, bo, ep and garland are all core guys that JB added

he also made huge mistakes in Jake, oj, loui, roussel, myers contract, Pearson contract and hiring incompetent coaches

jb sucked but had some hits. Green and baumer were outright useless incompetent morons

gudbranson trade, hamhuis, nothing in return for tanev/markstrom, traded futures for 13 games of a toffoli

also didnt gillis draft horvat?

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
gudbranson trade, hamhuis, nothing in return for tanev/markstrom, traded futures for 13 games of a toffoli

also didnt gillis draft horvat?

yes he did, after trading Schneider. Which was a very bold move at the time with significant risk and it paid off. Like the current team now, the Next GM has a lack of high end prospects, but lots to work with on the roaster to parlay into young players for the future. Here is to hoping they look to add high end prospects and picks and not start shipping players out for prospects on the verge of busting.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Wat.

Congrats to the guy who went all in every year to compete but sucked so bad at his job that he got gifted 5 top 10 picks in 7 years? And whiffed on half of them anyways. With 2nd round picks so high it was basically another first? And whiffed on almost all of them anyways? And this was the area of his job that he was by far the best at?

As the Edmonton Oilers turn it around this year, remember who drafted McDavid, Puljujarvi, and Bouchard!

Green was a disaster but as bad of a coach as Green is, and he really was one of the worst in the league if not the worst... Benning was a worse GM.
I told you guys that the Benning shills are still here.

If the next GM starts winning like Gillis, you will hear these guys talking about how Jim build a great team. If we are bad or mediocre they will blame the new guy saying that he sqandered the core. You can't rason with these people. It't better to ignore them if they are not banned.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Absolutely agree

That's the key. You can draft all the "Calder finalists" you want but if they don't develop under Green's "system :laugh:", it means nothing in the end. Jim Benning has had more than enough time to hire a head coach. WAY more than enough time. Even the assistant coaches suck ass.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I told you guys that the Benning shills are still here.

If the next GM starts winning like Gillis, you will hear these guys talking about how Jim build a great team. If we are bad or mediocre they will blame the new guy saying that he sqandered the core. You can't rason with these people. It't better to ignore them if they are not banned.

Things dont have to be binary. Doesnt have to be everything related to Benning is bad or that saying you like Hughes and Petey and Miller etc means you think Benning is a good GM. It can be true that we drafted some good kids during his tenure, for which he deserves credit if they pan out, but that the team failed to develop them and he sucked at almost every facet of his job outside of that. He can be a bad GM but have made a good move. Nonis sucked, but the Luongo deal was great (Weinrich and Carney not so much).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad