Rumor: Bruce Speculation Thread (Dreger: Andrew Brunette?)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think it’s bad form to ask an organization about a coach they employ mid-season. As noted by Dhaliwal, the Canucks have not asked permission.

I think it does happen - but it happens once there is a vacancy. For example, if the Canucks fired Boudreau, announced an interim coach, and immediately began searching for a new HC? Yeah, I can see that happening.

But before a guy is fired? That would be some bad form. It's telegraphing to the league (which would subsequently leak to the press) that "HEY, WE'RE GOING TO FIRE THIS GUY".

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think it does happen - but it happens once there is a vacancy. For example, if the Canucks fired Boudreau, announced an interim coach, and immediately began searching for a new HC? Yeah, I can see that happening.

But before a guy is fired? That would be some bad form. It's telegraphing to the league (which would subsequently leak to the press) that "HEY, WE'RE GOING TO FIRE THIS GUY".

Calling my shot, but Bruce gets fired around the time he's lost 25 games or so. Just enough to try and salvage something for the season, but wayyyy too late.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Time to can BB already. Sorry, not buying this is all on the players. Be one thing if we were coming out flat and getting blown out 7-3 every night. But it's not just luck that keeps getting them 2+ goal leads to blow.

Some of the blown leads are defensive depth and average to poor goaltending, for sure. But those are both things a strong defensive system can help mitigate. Instead we've got guys defending 3rd period leads by throwing blind no-hope passes across the crease just to see the puck go back the other way on an odd man rush. When you blow as many leads as we have, at least some of that goes on the coach.

Not sure what the plan will be though. Kinda depends on their thoughts on the HC in Abby. Do they view him as the BB heir at the end of the season or another year or two down the road?

If so, limits who they would want to hire to replace BB this year. If they're just going Yeo for the rest of the season, not sure it makes sense to bother firing Bruce.

If they go someone like Brunette, I'd expect a multi-year deal. But then that probably doesn't fit a realistic timeline for Colliton to get a promotion.

Regardless, still think Bruce needs to go, just not sure what they do next. Really comes down to how they view Colliton vs the other options available. But a HC needs to be able to put together a structure to protect 3rd period leads, and BB clearly can't get what he wants from this group.

I do think a coaching change should be paired with a significant trade to really shake up the culture. Anyone not named EP40 works for me.

Reactions: MarkMM and mathonwy

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I would be thrilled with Brunette.

Apprenticed under probably the best coach in the league in Quenneville and got similar results with that team after Quenneville left.

Moves to NJ and they're instantly a dominant possession team, same as Florida.

Didn't seem to have any problem putting young/unknown players into big roles when their play demanded it (Lundell, Marchment).

Are you still on this winning with this group thing?

Time to can BB already. Sorry, not buying this is all on the players. Be one thing if we were coming out flat and getting blown out 7-3 every night. But it's not just luck that keeps getting them 2+ goal leads to blow.

Some of the blown leads are defensive depth and average to poor goaltending, for sure. But those are both things a strong defensive system can help mitigate. Instead we've got guys defending 3rd period leads by throwing blind no-hope passes across the crease just to see the puck go back the other way on an odd man rush. When you blow as many leads as we have, at least some of that goes on the coach.

Not sure what the plan will be though. Kinda depends on their thoughts on the HC in Abby. Do they view him as the BB heir at the end of the season or another year or two down the road?

If so, limits who they would want to hire to replace BB this year. If they're just going Yeo for the rest of the season, not sure it makes sense to bother firing Bruce.

If they go someone like Brunette, I'd expect a multi-year deal. But then that probably doesn't fit a realistic timeline for Colliton to get a promotion.

Regardless, still think Bruce needs to go, just not sure what they do next. Really comes down to how they view Colliton vs the other options available. But a HC needs to be able to put together a structure to protect 3rd period leads, and BB clearly can't get what he wants from this group.

I do think a coaching change should be paired with a significant trade to really shake up the culture. Anyone not named EP40 works for me.

Another thing to consider.

We lost Shaw. Under him our D performed like night and day better than before Green was canned. We replaced him with Trent Cull.

Last edited:

archangel2

May 19, 2019
How many years is BB signed for? Unless there is a HUGE problem between him and the ownership, I do not see them sacking him so early in a new contract

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
At this point we are not good enough talent wise. Dump deadweight, cash in assets, take the draft pick and plan for next season

Do not barely make playoffs and end up with nothing

We play with zero structure. The Kings showed what playing with structure and commitment looked like yesterday

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
None of the insiders have had anything right with the team yet.

So let's not get worked up with the latest shit thrown at the wall. Especially not Darren Dreger who's fallen down a notch or two in the rumor breaking department. (Or a hack like Dave Pagnotta for the matter, who I think guessed one thing right and parlayed it into an insider tag.)

Reactions: Vector and racerjoe

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
The only media person that had a whiff of what the management is doing is Ian MacIntyre when he said they will are trying to acquire Ethan Bear. Even then, It took almost a few weeks for the trade to actually materialize.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
At this point we are not good enough talent wise. Dump deadweight, cash in assets, take the draft pick and plan for next season

Do not barely make playoffs and end up with nothing

We play with zero structure. The Kings showed what playing with structure and commitment looked like yesterday
I dont completely agree that the team is not good enough talent-wise...There has only been two teams (NJD and CAR..I missed the BOS game) where the the other team looked superior..They've mostly been in every game (and led by multiple goals in most of them).

I wholeheartedly agree that the team is having problems playing with structure and commitment....The consistent poor results dont lie.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wouldn't mind Brunette. He got his trial by fire as a head coach last year so that's a huge plus.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
On that note, the sports betting push is so painful to watch, the way they weave it into coverage of teams on a daily basis is so cringeworthy.

I hated that shit in like 2006 when the Moj (or whatever his name is) would LAY DOWN THE HAMMER.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
None of the insiders have had anything right with the team yet.

So let's not get worked up with the latest shit thrown at the wall. Especially not Darren Dreger who's fallen down a notch or two in the rumor breaking department. (Or a hack like Dave Pagnotta for the matter, who I think guessed one thing right and parlayed it into an insider tag.)
I think there was some early smoke with Mikheyev but trade wise it’s definitely been pretty tight lipped except for maybe Bear. The Dickinson deal came out of nowhere.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I thought he'd be fired by now to try and shake up the team. Now I'm thinking management has already accepted this season as a write off and perhaps is trying to do a stealth tank. Keep Bruce and let's keep this momentum going!

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
firing him will be just be embarrassing for the team when nothing continues to change. they know that there wont be a coaching bump this time like with green so they know its not actually going to do much. management knows deep down inside its not the coach

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
firing him will be just be embarrassing for the team when nothing continues to change. they know that there wont be a coaching bump this time like with green so they know its not actually going to do much. management knows deep down inside its not the coach
With the way some of the posters are posting right now it would be embarrassing to many in this forum.

Many of us ARE hockey savvy and know that it is not the coach, this coach did great last year, he didn't forget how over the summer.

Calling for his head on a team that has less than a 5% chance at the playoffs, a team that has so many problems is stupid, plain and simply stupid.

When Pettersson states he will not sign a long term deal that's the time he may be traded because this team cannot be fixed in 17 months and he already said he sign for 3 years to see where the team was at. Even if Demko wins the Vezina the team isn't good enough.

It is just so embarrassing to see "Fire Boudreau" over and over again. OR the lamenting on Rutherford not doing anything when is not his job, it is the GM's job.

It is the team, the player mix, being capped out, having anchor contracts.

Maybe that is just all too much for these posters, one thing at a time posters, 128 character posters, children, to understand. Those are the posters that give the rest a bad reputation because they are used, USED like toilet paper, as click bait, and make the majority of the smart fans look like them, childish.

What has Bruce done to deserve this anger?
All that has happened if Rutherford created and excuse to distract fans from an Alvin mistake. If he was truly as pissed off as he seems to be in the media Alvin's name or the state of the team by cap or lack of moves.
No defence and Rutherford just says they couldn't get it done, "they" being the GM and assistants so he rants about "structure" and training camp. The training camp is only so long, CBA rules. If the players came in out of shape or not ready how is that Bruce's fault? How can Bruce be held accountable for the bad group of players? Bruce didn't trade for Stillman but he has to play him. Same with the rest.
He has to play Miller to death to make the extension seem to be a good thing. Maybe over playing clause guys is a method of helping them decide to waive.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I think most people here know it's not the coach who is the problem although he isn't helping with questionable lineup decisions. The people who are screaming to fire Boudreau are the same who think mentorship and battling for a playoff spot for the past 5 or 6 seasons is more important than getting a franchise player in the draft. Clueless.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boudreau was probably right when he speculated that the "Bruce there it is" chants would be replaced by "Bruce, there he goes' at some point in the future.

Seems obvious that the Canucks are going to have to reel off six or seven wins in a row to save Boudreau's job, and that ain't likely happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad