Rumor: Bruce Speculation Thread (Dreger: Andrew Brunette?)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Was just coming to post that. Brunette is far more interesting and less disgusting than Tocchet. The bigger thing would be if Brunette, or anyone else, gets to build his own coaching staff. It's a constant cobbling together of spare parts, unwanted hires, and promotions. Even Travis Green had Brad Shaw parachuted on him.

Last edited:

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I predict we go 1-3 in the next 4 games . Not an easy schedule by any means and Buffalo very well could have won last night .

Inexperienced team but we are playing 3 contenders upcoming and if we saw what happened against Boston , I think we know what’s coming .

I would love Andrew Burnette as the next coach but it would likely signal the end of any top 10 draft pick hopes

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would be thrilled with Brunette.

Apprenticed under probably the best coach in the league in Quenneville and got similar results with that team after Quenneville left.

Moves to NJ and they're instantly a dominant possession team, same as Florida.

Didn't seem to have any problem putting young/unknown players into big roles when their play demanded it (Lundell, Marchment).

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I would be thrilled with Brunette.

Apprenticed under probably the best coach in the league in Quenneville and got similar results with that team after Quenneville left.

Moves to NJ and they're instantly a dominant possession team, same as Florida.

Didn't seem to have any problem putting young/unknown players into big roles when their play demanded it (Lundell, Marchment).

Yep, he would be 10x the fit over an old "name brand" coach (julien, trotz, quenville etc) whose age puts their incentive structure out of whack with where the team is at, or an extremely meh coach like Tochett IMO.

Edit:

Timing wise I would rather add a coach like Brunette after the season, after having an interim coach ride out the year with poor results causing a roster overhaul.

Last edited:

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
At this point the coach doesn’t matter much in this lost season. Just don’t hire another dinosaur who trots out useless vets for no reason and we need to avoid a coaching bump. We need to keep losing.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I feel bad for whoever is walking into this mess unless player changes are also on the way.

That being said, if they feel like Bruce is actually holding this team back(lol), I'd be cool with Brunette, he seems more like a newer age coach.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yep, he would be 10x the fit over an old "name brand" coach (julien, trotz, quenville etc) whose age puts their incentive structure out of whack with where the team is at, or an extremely meh coach like Tochett IMO.

The way the NHL and media has just completely ignored that Tocchet was busted by the FBI for running an international gambling ring is mindboggling. I'm assuming it's because Gretzky was also tied to that gambling ring and any consequences for Tocchet would mean a fair few questions would need to be asked of 99.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Yep. Name an interim coach internally, do a proper process in the offseason after roster overhaul has begun.
Wonder if Brunette would rather stay in NJ given Lindy’s age

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Feel like this would be more of an off-season move.

It should have happened in the summer instead of the disjointed decision to bring Boudreau back.

It's frustrating to hear they were on the right track in talking to a progressive younger coach like Brunette and then doubled back on a geriatric because fans liked singing a song.

Reactions: CanuckCity

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The way the NHL and media has just completely ignored that Tocchet was busted by the FBI for running an international gambling ring is mindboggling. I'm assuming it's because Gretzky was also tied to that gambling ring and any consequences for Tocchet would mean a fair few questions would need to be asked of 99.

Especially in this era of sports betting where the NHL is absolutely cramming it down our throats, to have Tocchet back in the league would probably be bad PR for everyone involved.

On that note, the sports betting push is so painful to watch, the way they weave it into coverage of teams on a daily basis is so cringeworthy.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It should have happened in the summer instead of the disjointed decision to bring Boudreau back.

It's frustrating to hear they were on the right track in talking to a progressive younger coach like Brunette and then doubled back on a geriatric because fans liked singing a song.

I mean could you imagine a slow start with a non-Boudreau coach? After finishing the season at a 106 point pace? There would be riots.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t think Andrew Brunette will make the slightest bit of difference..
I think a coaching change would make a big difference but the question is if there’s any value in the team playing better (there isn’t, just tank).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mean could you imagine a slow start with a non-Boudreau coach? After finishing the season at a 106 point pace? There would be riots.

Good management should have faith in their plan and shouldn't waiver from doing what they think is best for the team because they're worried about small-picture stuff and grumpy fans.

In the end they half-assed it with a guy who wasn't their guy and the situation has ended up a mess.

Reactions: CanuckCity and quat

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Yeah I mean this is the "you can't trade JT Miller, he's a 99 point player how do you replace that??!" argument.

Like MS mentioned, they gotta stick to their guns and their plan instead of gritting through the crummy circumstances tossed in their laps.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think a coaching change would make a big difference but the question is if there’s any value in the team playing better (there isn’t, just tank).
To be specific..I dont think a coaching change will impact this current roster ..If the playoffs are out of reach,the best plan is to get the pliers out,and start deconstructing what doesn’t work..

Having another artificial coaching bump does nothing to help the franchise this season

In saying that..Boudreau’s record last season was an impressive 32-15-10..He was the right guy at the right time last season.

Reactions: Peen

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I’m all for Brunette. He has done good work with New Jersey and Florida and is probably a better fit than Boudreau.

I want to see real changes though. I really hope its not just to see what this group can do under a differenct coach… again.

Also while we are talking about Guy Boucher recently I noticed that he looked like a much less handsome Keanu Reeves
265A1EC6-C931-42E2-B71C-A8AD35B7268B.jpeg

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
for Bruce, does anyone know who actually had the option for the year? I do remember in the offseason there being something to do with the team waiting for him to decide.

Honestly I wouldn't let the players off the hook by firing the coach. I think I would tell them this mess is on them. Ride it out and if that ends up being a high pick... oh darn.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sounds good, but hopefully towards the end of the season incase theres a false in season bump like last season that cost us ten or more draft spots.

I also find it hilarious that a loud mouthed Benning supporter is saying it wont make a difference a year after praising all of last seasons bump on coaching and only coaching and that the roster was indeed good lol :snide:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad