Management Bruce Cassidy media Zoom - 8/5/21

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have a hard time judging a GM on "missing in free agency." There are just too many factors beyond their control. Where does the family want to live? What city has the better zoo? :sarcasm: How many other teams are willing to pay more than what they're worth, even if what the Bruins offered was fair? Maybe the free agent wants to go where there's no state income tax.

It's not like there are 20 Connor McDavids on the shelf and you just have to stop by and pick one up after work.

Maybe if we had context behind where everyone signed, a case could be made that he missed. But we'll never have that.

Just my $0.02.

You need to stop making logical, reasoned and sensible posts. You won't last here much longer if you don't. ;) :)

Reactions: Dr Hook

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I've been told they were a very exciting and successful team last year pre trade deadline. The optimism is stronger in some than others.

I doubt the Bruins miss the playoffs unless the top line has injuries, but it will be another dull season with the team struggling to play with emotion, toughness, or consistency I bet. Playing down to the opposition made last season an alternative to sleeping medication.

The Bruins are definitely not in the top tier or even second tier with Krejci gone and this defense however.

If you have Forbort and/or Reilly in your top 4 and Coyle as your second line center, you simply are not. They each drive a darn good 3rd line/pairing, but above that is setting them and the Bruins for failure.

I am extra harsh in my wording because I want Sweeney gone - he nearly saved himself at the deadline by adding Hall, and his first good draft this offseason... and then swings and misses again in Free Agency.

I simply wish this team had a few young talents to watch grow and develop into the future core - the roster is loaded with veteran mercenaries instead and it is much more difficult to get behind it.
I can get behind veteran mercenaries if they fill the holes that need to be filled. Sweengenius drafts for years to fill bottom six and none of those picks seem capable, then when they have multiple holes to fill he spends all his cap money on bottom 6 players and depth D to go along with 4 bottom pair D already on the roster.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I've got good news for you, BMC. Taylor Hall is an elite pass first distributor, so Coyle doesn't really have to be. Last year, even in his poor showing in buffalo, Hall was in the 98th percentile of chances generated despite being a horrible finisher. Craig smith, on the other hand, is a shooter and he finishes quite well. Both players were in the 90th percentile of offensive chances created last year. All Coyle needs to do is play decent D, help with entries (though hall is great at that) and complement his wings. I actually really like Coyle on the second line if he's skating like he did in 19-20 and not 20-21. Big caveat there, of course. The effectiveness of this existing roster doesn't really hinge on the second line, in my opinion. It's the third line. Debrusk - Haula- Foligno is an enigma to me. If all three players play well, then this forward group is in the upper echelon of the league. If they play like they did last year, its a black hole. That is where the Bruins are going to live and die.

Here's the thing. And no I don't think Coyle is the answer. But Hall-Coyle-Smith

Hall takes the playmaking role. He's going to drive that line, and arguably, already did that with Krejci. Obviously Coyle is a step down from Krejci and adds a different style to his game, but I think it could work and as long as no injuries rack up, I think Hall COULD get Coyle back up around 50 pts again. People state Hall's time in Buffalo as proof that he can't play without Krejci, but I think that had more to do with him playing against the shutdown lines/pairs as he WAS Buffalo's threat on LW. In Boston, he's second fiddle. His line will get more chances, and Hall has the skill to drive it. As someone else said. I think that line (and possibly the line below) fall into a tweener line somewhere between 2-3 on paper. Yes ideally, we can upgrade the C spot, but as many in the past have said about Krejci's line, his wingers were weak, Coyle is playing with possibly one of the best 2nd line wingers on paper with Hall, and I think there's a chance to surprise. Also to disappoint, but I think Coyle has a legitimate chance to rebound. Or at the very least, not seem as much of an anchor as he was.

After reading these posts I am feeling more optimistic about CC at 2C. Thanks guys! :)

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
I've been told they were a very exciting and successful team last year pre trade deadline. The optimism is stronger in some than others.

I doubt the Bruins miss the playoffs unless the top line has injuries, but it will be another dull season with the team struggling to play with emotion, toughness, or consistency I bet. Playing down to the opposition made last season an alternative to sleeping medication.

The Bruins are definitely not in the top tier or even second tier with Krejci gone and this defense however.

If you have Forbort and/or Reilly in your top 4 and Coyle as your second line center, you simply are not. They each drive a darn good 3rd line/pairing, but above that is setting them and the Bruins for failure.

I am extra harsh in my wording because I want Sweeney gone - he nearly saved himself at the deadline by adding Hall, and his first good draft this offseason... and then swings and misses again in Free Agency.

I simply wish this team had a few young talents to watch grow and develop into the future core - the roster is loaded with veteran mercenaries instead and it is much more difficult to get behind it.

Hard disagree on the bolded part

Reactions: Fenian24

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I think they will make the playoffs easily. After that, anything can happen.

Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Hall, McAvoy. Five proven star players.

Goalies could go either way, but I really feel they will be as good as Rask and whoever have been for the Cassidy years.

A lot of veteran players throughout the rest of the lineup. And high hopes for Studnicka.
As critical as I've been about how they handled free agency this season, I feel like I'm actually more positive about the current makeup of the roster than most.

I love all three pairings on the defence. If it's Grzelcyk/McAvoy, Reilly/Carlo, Forbort/Clifton - I have zero issues with any of them. That's 1-6 that should dominate possession when they are all healthy.

I love the goaltending. I have a strong belief in Ullmark, but I also think he'll be pushed by Swayman.

I have no issues with any of the free agents they signed individually. Haula is versatile, very quick and skilled. Forbort has the size and skating ability that I think the Bruins required on the blueline. Foligno is so much better than the corpse of David Backes and can contribute regardless of where he plays in the lineup.

But I'm down overall.

1. One injury to this defence and they have very little versatility to handle it. I don't like Gryz with Carlo and I'm concerned about pairing him Clifton. If Forbort doesn't work in a "zone" system, the whole thing falls apart. If Carlo goes down, it's curtains like we've all seen thrice before.

2. We have four top six forwards. I don't care if it's center, I don't care if it's RW, I think they need one more guy in that spot or teams will have their strategy - shut down the top line and the Bruins fold.

3. While I see fixes as being simple, they've been simple for YEARS and the coaching/management of the Bruins never seem to manage them. Not only do we not have cap space, but Sweeney seems to lack whatever it takes to make those simple additions. And I say that despite how well he did at the deadline this year. Cassidy could fix a lot of what ails the single-threat by putting Smith back up with Marchand and Bergy and Pastrnak down with Hall and (I assume) Coyle. But he won't.

4. Window just feels closed. Chara, Krug, Tuukka and Krejci - all core players gone. At one time, fresh off a Cup win, we had Bergy, Marchand, Lucic, Krejci, Seguin, Hamilton, Krug and Tuukka with the oldest guy in his mid-20s. The return on the 2015 debacle when Dougie and Looch were dealt is essentially... Zboril now? We spent the better part of the last decade without wingers for the second line. Patched together defences, big money on the bench and in the pressbox and blown opportunities on the rare occasions when everything seem aligned. The Bruins had the NHL by the balls and now that the majority of that core has moved on, it feels like our chances have moved on as well.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I have learned over the years in sports that my emotions and "feelings" about a team are rarely correct and that has really pushed me towards looking at the numbers. You can gain a lot of context looking at the numbers behind a team. A lot of people don't believe in it and I get that but I trust data over a random guys "feel" for a team any day. So, lets look at the numbers.

As currently constituted, the Bruins project to 101 points by JFresh's model. The top 3 lines are all positive WAR lines good enough for the 6th highest WAR of all forward groups in hockey. Keep in mind that is holding the insanely low projections for Coyle and Debrusk based on their terrible last season's. Any improvement there would be huge. The D looks really good in the top 4. The 3rd highest WAR in hockey. His model doesn't love the goaltenders, they are 23rd.

So, do I think they are a cup contender? Not unless a lot of people overperform their projections. I'd be really surprised if they didn't make the playoffs though.

View attachment 459670

Good post, and I'm on board with analytics, to a point. I say that in part because these are JFresh's projected standings for the 21-22 season based on their modelling:

upload_2021-8-7_10-34-29.png

A few of the projected top teams make absolute sense - Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, probably Toronto. But teams like Calgary and the Rangers, possibly the Blues, seem too high, while the likes of Dallas, Nashville, the Islanders and Canes feel too low, and even with the Panthers I'd be surprised if they finish a full 7 points behind the Leafs. Who knows how things will ultimately play out, but my point is, and the site's operators acknowledge this, the analytics cope better and produce more accurate projections with some rosters than others. So they're a handy guide, but no more than that.

For what it's worth, I do think it's more or less accurate for the Bruins, except that I'd have Florida a little ahead of them rather than tied - which puts Boston firmly in a wildcard spot which they have a good chance of securing because the Metro division is more even than the Atlantic so those teams will take more points off each other. Whether that conforms to the reality only time will tell.

Reactions: Gordoff

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Good post, and I'm on board with analytics, to a point. I say that in part because these are JFresh's projected standings for the 21-22 season based on their modelling:

View attachment 459877

A few of the projected top teams make absolute sense - Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, probably Toronto. But teams like Calgary and the Rangers, possibly the Blues, seem too high, while the likes of Dallas, Nashville, the Islanders and Canes feel too low, and even with the Panthers I'd be surprised if they finish a full 7 points behind the Leafs. Who knows how things will ultimately play out, but my point is, and the site's operators acknowledge this, the analytics cope better and produce more accurate projections with some rosters than others. So they're a handy guide, but no more than that.

For what it's worth, I do think it's more or less accurate for the Bruins, except that I'd have Florida a little ahead of them rather than tied - which puts Boston firmly in a wildcard spot which they have a good chance of securing because the Metro division is more even than the Atlantic so those teams will take more points off each other. Whether that conforms to the reality only time will tell.

he talked about Toronto in particular in that they have a couple of model breakers in their lineup like bunting.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

View attachment 459877

Seattle predicted far too high. Meanwhile the Atlantic seems accurate. Interesting model.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Seattle predicted far too high. Meanwhile the Atlantic seems accurate. Interesting model.

I ignored Seattle because it's a complete lottery what that team will produce and they'd be extremely difficult to model. But yeah I'd be very surprised if they finish that high. I can see them contending for 7th-8th spot in their conference if everything goes really well, but no more than that.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Thank you for reminding me why I hate advanced stats. That defense is marshmallow soft, quite possibly the softest in the NHL. Grizz as a number 1 pair D is a joke. DeBrusk is a terrible hockey player quickly playing himself out of the league. I get the distinct feeling with JDB that he has made his millions, is happy with that and no longer cares about playing hockey.

As with anything we will see but I wonder how many GM's would want Chucky Coyle as a two C, JDB as third line LW at almost 4m cap hit and Grizz as a top pairing D?

You hate advanced stats because you famously only care about people hitting each other in the face. Unfortunately for that position these stats are legit just quantification of what actually happens and not just how you feel about it.

Reactions: Dr Hook

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
There are people here who are more positive than others.

I wonder - how many will say that the Bruins are legitimate Cup contenders?

I'm certainly nowhere near. Think they will have to fight just to make the playoffs. But will anyone forge a reasoned argument that the Bruins are in the mix among the league's best?

I'm fairly high on this team, but I wouldn't say the Bruins are a contender right now.

Then again, they weren't contenders at the start of last season either. Four of their middle6 wingers were question marks (Kase, Bjork, Studnicka, Ritchie). They expected a kid to move into the top pair (Lauzon) who hadn't even mastered the 3rd pair yet. They were hoping a rookie could step into the top6 (Zboril)...

The team that starts this season should be much stronger. Krejci's gone, but Hall replaces him as the play driver on that line. The forwards 1-12 are all proven NHL players. The defense 1-9 are all proven NHL players and both of the top pair options have shown they can play in the top pair and perform well there.

Goal is a bit unknown, Ullmark has over 100 NHL games at a high level but he doesn't have a 50 game season under his belt so that's a bit of an unknown.

Overall, I think we're starting off stronger.

We also know Sweeney works 2 days of the year (or at least we see the fruits of his labor twice a year): free agent day and deadline day. So that tells me this team is unfinished by design. Sweeney plans to make deadline deals. It's part of his team building philosophy.

I saw your post about your lack of faith that Sweeney can get the guys we need. I would agree if we're looking for a 2nd line center or top2 defenseman. If that's our need then yeah, we're pretenders again. But my hope is that the 2nd line and top4 play well enough that they're not the issue. Maybe that's a long-shot but that will be the fun of the season for me. Seeing who steps up. Seeing who fits with whom. If Coyle and Forbort play well the focus at the deadline could be on making a strong depth move, like a David Savard type for the 3rd pair to play with Gryz and be insurance for Carlo, and I do have faith Sweeney can make that kind of deal.

Last edited:

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I will be shocked if Coyle puts up 50 points this season even with Hall and Smith. If he puts up 60 I’ll buy a Jersey and admit I was completely wrong about this player and this contract.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You hate advanced stats because you famously only care about people hitting each other in the face. Unfortunately for that position these stats are legit just quantification of what actually happens and not just how you feel about it.
This team is soft, the D is terrible, Charlie Coyle is the number 2 center and Jake DeBrusk is on the team. Quantify that for me when they miss the playoffs and will be as exciting as watching the Devils when Lemaire coached them.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’m not saying TB shouldn’t be considered top dog, but when you lose an entire line it has to have an effect, couple that with the possible hangover effect that consecutive deep runs can cause and I wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up 3-5 in the conference.

They lost their 3rd line and already added Perry to recover from it.

Kuch, Point, Stamkos, Vasi, Hedman all are on the roster and in their primes.
Add McDonagh, Serg, Palat, Cirelli for depth.

By no means should Boston be ranked ahead of them

Last edited:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

View attachment 459877

Guess Mzarek is really giving the Leafs a boost…not sold. I truly believe losing three really good depth forwards is going to hurt Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad