Management Bruce Cassidy media Zoom - 8/5/21

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Oct. 16 season opener still the stuff of summer hammock and pina colada contemplations, Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy on Thursday all but installed Charlie Coyle to the vacated David Krejci chair between wingers Taylor Hall and Craig Smith.

Cassidy, who chatted with beat reporters via Zoom for the first time in seven weeks, also said he’ll probably deploy former BU blueliners Matt Grzelcyk and Charlie McAvoy as partners again at times, while newcomer Derek Forbort also is pegged for time with McAvoy on the No. 1 D tandem
Jake DeBrusk, who muddled along to the tune of 5-9—14 this past season, most likely will open 2021-22 as the No. 3 left wing, according to Cassidy. For a guy on the books to bank $4.85 million, DeBrusk’s No. 3 left wing designation could prove added incentive for GM Don Sweeney to deal him.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
There are people here who are more positive than others.

I wonder - how many will say that the Bruins are legitimate Cup contenders?

I'm certainly nowhere near. Think they will have to fight just to make the playoffs. But will anyone forge a reasoned argument that the Bruins are in the mix among the league's best?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So their plan for the first pairing is basically what Tampa does with their pairing, I don’t mind it. Offensive situations Gryz, defensive situations Forbort

Please go get a real 2C and another top 4 D though for the love of god

they’re absolutely not a cup contender as constructed

Reactions: PlayMakers and Afam

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I'm certainly nowhere near. Think they will have to fight just to make the playoffs. But will anyone forge a reasoned argument that the Bruins are in the mix among the league's best?

I think they will make the playoffs easily. After that, anything can happen.

Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Hall, McAvoy. Five proven star players.

Goalies could go either way, but I really feel they will be as good as Rask and whoever have been for the Cassidy years.

A lot of veteran players throughout the rest of the lineup. And high hopes for Studnicka.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Ok I’ll take a stab - I would call Tamp and Florida definite playoff teams and cup contenders. After that, despite all the huffing and puffing about this roster, would you rather have Montreal’s? Toronto - regular season ok. But I wouldn’t trade rosters with them.

And for wildcard - who among the Flyers, Rangers, Capitals, Penguins, or Hurricanes would you trade rosters with? Hurricanes got worse or at least weirder. I don’t see any of the other teams really improving, except a lateral shake up in Philly. Isles are probably a playoff team provided Lou is just playing possum with his resigns, but I’m not sure how they got better?

I just don’t see how people don’t think this is a probable playoff team unless you’re really down on Ullmark/Swayman. If any of the above teams signed Haula/Nosek/Forbort for their bottom 6 (to replace Ritchie/Kuraly/Wagner) posters here would have had a conniption.

Reactions: shelbysdad

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

If 2C or 2D are addressed and a lot of not impossible things happen, I think they are among 8-10 cup contenders.

Those not impossible things include:

One defenseman in the system stepping up noticeably.

Hall scoring 25-30.

Coyle scoring 20-25.

Foligno and Haula scoring 15-20 each while Pasta, Marchand, Smith and Bergeron stay consistent.

But right now I wouldn’t bet $50 on them winning a cup.

Reactions: JOKER 192 and BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Assuming that all teams have fairly similar luck with injuries, I think the Bruins will be battling for a wildcard spot with Montreal and whoever's thereabouts in the Metro division. The two Florida teams are substantially better than ours. You never know with Toronto, and their revised roster still looks terrible as a playoff team, but they're pretty consistent in the regular season and my expectation is they'll also be ahead of us.

So it's going to be tough, but as long as our top line and McAvoy stay healthy at least most of the time, I do think Boston will scrape into a playoff spot. But if any one of those 4 guys goes out for an extended period then it's all over. Beyond that, we'll see what Sweeney does before the deadline and what happens with guys like Studnicka, DeBrusk, Frederic, the new recruits and anyone else who happens to come in and make an impact. Even if things all go well on those fronts I still can't see any scenario in which this team becomes a legit Cup contender - for me there's just too many holes and too many things that would have to go right to make it a realistic possibility - but I'm leaving the door open to just the tiniest amount of hope.

Good on the folks with the 'just make it and you never know' mentality. My brain and my fandom simply don't work that way.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Coyle as 2c... yikes. All I can hope is that he and Hall have great chemistry together. I don't know what else fans can believe.

Reactions: BMC and Kalus

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I think it's funny how last year there was a lot of negative toward Krejci. He lost it, too old, only tries in the playoffs, doesn't bring it every night, can't score, he's gotta go.

Well now he's gone , people are freaking out and we are suddenly a non playoff team, even though our D is at least equal, our 3rd line is likely better and our 4th line will be better.

We have more grit which was a common complaint. We have arguably more scoring depth which was a common complaint. We no longer have 2 rookie goalie goalies - which was a common complaint.

Could we use a new 2C ? Yeah. A 2 D? Yeah . Every team has holes.

But now 46 is gone so we are screwed.....

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Cassidy saying Nosek will start as the 4th line C. Probably going to be Frederic-Nosek-Lazar to start but I’d love to see Lauko-Nosek-Lazar

Reactions: Blowfish

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think they will make the playoffs easily. After that, anything can happen.

Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Hall, McAvoy. Five proven star players.

Goalies could go either way, but I really feel they will be as good as Rask and whoever have been for the Cassidy years.

A lot of veteran players throughout the rest of the lineup. And high hopes for Studnicka.

Top3 in the Atlantic is by no means given.

Tampa
Florida
Toronto
(Montreal)

Toronto as bad as they have been in playoffs are always a threat in regular season

Next division
Carolina
Islanders
Washington
Pens
Flyers

Last edited:
Reactions: Estlin

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I call them neither - because the game is played on the ice.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Unfortunately no team can be cup contenders for ever. Detroit even with their massive streak of making the playoffs was a middling team for a while. That being said, I'm willing to bet the Bruins still make the playoffs and from there who knows what happens. Hopefully Coyle steps up or they find a suitable replacement. Sometimes fit on a line/pairing is just as important as slotting someone where they "belong." Maybe guys like Coyle and Forbort show some chemistry where they are played and surprise us.....or maybe they look very overwhelmed. What I do know for sure is our depth scoring should be much improved from last year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I believe the plan is still
A. Acquire Dvorak
1. Position
2. Age
3. Familiarity with Hall
4. Style
5. Contract

it’s a no brainer

B. Remove DeBrusk

Coyle ideally third line with Foligno but it’s August and I remember Coyle 8 goals in 19 playoff games 2019

Fact he was hurt past season

as for Forbort being so terrible another hot take by the uniformed

he can play situationally and up and down based on matchups, score

very good signing

So happy krejci went out so loved - was not liking him going out with 2 goals in 37 games

until Dvorak traded elsewhere he is the guy that works - Bruins type of player he will be very popular here

I’m Arizona I am sitting on DeBrusk Studnicka & the first

If I’m Sweeney and I knew the pick was 20-32 I would do but you don’t want to end up like San Jose having the wheels come off and Ottawa drafting 3 and Tim Stutzle

DeBrusk & Beecher may be better way to go

they can absorb Beecher loss to me

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I believe the plan is still
A. Acquire Dvorak
1. Position
2. Age
3. Familiarity with Hall
4. Style
5. Contract

it’s a no brainer

B. Remove DeBrusk

Coyle ideally third line with Foligno but it’s August and I remember Coyle 8 goals in 19 playoff games 2019

Fact he was hurt past season

as for Forbort being so terrible another hot take by the uniformed

he can play situationally and up and down based on matchups, score

very good signing

So happy krejci went out so loved - was not liking him going out with 2 goals in 37 games

until Dvorak traded elsewhere he is the guy that works - Bruins type of player he will be very popular here

I’m Arizona I am sitting on DeBrusk Studnicka & the first

If I’m Sweeney and I knew the pick was 20-32 I would do but you don’t want to end up like San Jose having the wheels come off and Ottawa drafting 3 and Tim Stutzle

DeBrusk & Beecher may be better way to go

they can absorb Beecher loss to me

I might give up Debrusk & Beecher for Dvorak.

But would never give up Debrusk, Studnicka and a first for him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Love it Raycroft on WEEI in his view Tampa Cup tainted due to cap

absolutely agree

Doesn’t think Rask back this season - wow

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I must be really dumb but I believe this team can be better than the last few year's teams.

One thing I would absolutely not do is trade picks, I would look to add them by moving Jake.

Start the season then adjust accordingly.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Love it Raycroft on WEEI in his view Tampa Cup tainted due to cap

absolutely agree

Doesn’t think Rask back this season - wow

I've been think for the last couple of years that both Krejci & Rask would be gone after their contracts expired.

Reactions: DKH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad