Bruce Boudreau is the best regular season coach in the NHL

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I agree, he's a great regular season coach for sure, be interesting to see how he does in the playoffs this year.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I would rather have a coach that is a pos during the regular season but brings the team deep into the playoffs (maybe even a SC win) than one that finishes 1st in the league but loses in 4-5 games in 1st round.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yes he is

every team he's taken over has seen a complete turn-around from the prior season

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I would rather have a coach that is a pos during the regular season but brings the team deep into the playoffs (maybe even a SC win) than one that finishes 1st in the league but loses in 4-5 games in 1st round.

Many SC-winning coaches had many years of early playoff exits before they won their first.

And BB doesn't have a reputation of losing in "4-5 games in the 1st round". The knock on him is that he can't win game 7s. Just two years ago, he was in the WC Finals, so not sure exactly what you mean. You make it sound as if BB-coached teams are always out in the 1st round, which they aren't

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Everyone started saying they needed to learn to play defense, defense was never their problem. They were too good offensively to start playing the trapping game. They were and still have been quite unlucky in the playoffs.

like when halak stood on his head for the habs? Canadians were out shot 98-34 in the last 2 games and still win them. caps rang a ton off the post. can't blame boudreau there

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
like when halak stood on his head for the habs? Canadians were out shot 94-34 in the last 2 games and still win them. caps rang a ton off the post. can't blame boudreau there

Are you kidding? This is HF Boards, where over-simplification is the name of the game.

Boudreau-coached teams lost in game 7 = Must be all his fault.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm indifferent to the Wild (although I absolutely respect the hockey culture of Minnesota and the great district 5 team). But, assuming my team isn't serious cup contenders this year (miracles can happen), I think the Wild might be my bandwagon team. I love Gabby, one of the best personalities in the game, and I would love for him to get that undeserved choking label off his back.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
He is a great coach period with an exciting style. Sometimes bad things happen in the playoffs, sometimes it is out of your control. I think he gets to much slack for his playoff results. He consistently wins where ever he coaches, one day I hope he leads his team to the cup.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Constantly getting schooled in important moments and looking like a deer stuck in the highlights while failing to adapt = sucking in the POs. He is a good coach but also a choker, this much is a fact.

The coach can only do so much. His goaltending in game 7's is also pretty atrocious.
He is one of the top coaches in the league, regardless of regular season or playoffs.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He is a great coach period with an exciting style. Sometimes bad things happen in the playoffs, sometimes it is out of your control. I think he gets to much slack for his playoff results. He consistently wins where ever he coaches, one day I hope he leads his team to the cup.
His teams consistently choke in the playoffs. Playoffs are a different ballgame because the other team prepares for you and tailors their gameplan to stop you. He has not shown he's capable of adapting to this.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
BB is a top 5 coach in the NHL. He always manages to bring out the offense which is crucial. IMO he's had a ton of bad luck in the playoffs, individual players not getting the job done and he's been outcoached a couple of times. Doesn't mean he completely sucks in the playoffs. Every coach has gotten outcoached in their careers. Let's not forget in every game 7 series he lost, his team also won 3 games. And were up 3-1 a couple of times IIRC. Odds for winning the cup are always against you. Especially when he's only had teams with some crucial flaws.

The Wild are a disciplined team with the goaltending, best defense BB has ever had in his disposal and the depth. Let's not forget all those playoff losses have given BB some valuable experience.

If he gets Minnesota to the WC finals this year i'd say we put the "BB is a bad playoff coach" behind us.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Wild will get to the SC finals and lose 8-0 to the more talented Pens in the game that matters. Sound familiar?

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
When he was withj Anaheim and met Chicago in 2015 he was severely outcoached. Quenneville adapted, changed things and turned the series around. BB got outplayed. He is a good coach, but he has flaws. Saying "unfair how he's criticized" is strange, at least for me.

Edit: Please don't bring up our current coach. That is below the belt.

Amazing how HF posters have so much insight that they know it was the coaching and not the players.

bminucci

Nov 7, 2010
Santa Ana, CA
I think he gets blamed too much for post season results. Washington and Anaheim haven't really done any better in the playoffs without him. And if the Wild get eliminated early he'll likely get blamed even though Minnesota has never been successful.

Not that I think Anaheim will do much in the playoffs this year, we just let him go last summer.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
His playoff coaching is demonstrably crap. Doesn't care about line matching, openly laughs about the fact that he doesn't like thinking as hard as the other coach, when his teams get countered he has no answers and turns red and starts going off at everyone from officials to players and needs Jason Arnott to calm him down and give him his bottle as his team collapses into a vortex of suck after seeing their coach get triggered and hysterical.

Maybe he's moved past that, but I'd never want him coaching a playoff game for the caps again.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
His playoff coaching is demonstrably crap. Doesn't care about line matching, openly laughs about the fact that he doesn't like thinking as hard as the other coach, when his teams get countered he has no answers and turns red and starts going off at everyone from officials to players and needs Jason Arnott to calm him down and give him his bottle as his team collapses into a vortex of suck after seeing their coach get triggered and hysterical.

Maybe he's moved past that, but I'd never want him coaching a playoff game for the caps again.

Maybe he has because he's somewhat obsessed with line-matching with the Wild.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015

Hasn't this been prove false many times? Maybe I'm just wrong but I remember him getting getzlaf and perry lots of o zone starts while having his shutdown line go against opposing top line.

I don't what much more you want him to do when his players don't show up it's not like he's putting them in a position to fail.

I'll never understand the BB is a bad playoff coach narrative, it's almost as bad as "Corsi is a terrible stat look what Eakins did with the Oilers" except Oilers were a terrible Corsi team with Eakins around 45%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad