Bruce Boudreau is the best regular season coach in the NHL

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
He is a great coach period with an exciting style. Sometimes bad things happen in the playoffs, sometimes it is out of your control. I think he gets to much slack for his playoff results. He consistently wins where ever he coaches, one day I hope he leads his team to the cup.

Sweep*

Apr 22, 2015
He won his division every time he was behind the bench for the full season in the NHL.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He is a great coach period with an exciting style. Sometimes bad things happen in the playoffs, sometimes it is out of your control. I think he gets to much slack for his playoff results. He consistently wins where ever he coaches, one day I hope he leads his team to the cup.

Agree completely

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

THIS. Only one team is considered a "success" given any season. It's incredibly hard to win the cup.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
His teams have all been fun to watch as well, guy really knows how to get the offense going.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think he gets blamed too much for post season results. Washington and Anaheim haven't really done any better in the playoffs without him. And if the Wild get eliminated early he'll likely get blamed even though Minnesota has never been successful.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Wasn't Quenneville thought as a regular season coach at one time at a lot can change if you have the right team...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
He's a great coach but he needs to learn how to play the possession game if he wants a Cup

His time with the Caps (not counting the last year where he got fired) the Caps finished 2nd, 4th, 3rd and 12th in 5on5 possession metrics. %55.6, %54.9, %52.9 and %51.2.

The Montreal series they lost the Caps took over 70% of shot attempts.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
His time with the Caps (not counting the last year where he got fired) the Caps finished 2nd, 4th, 3rd and 12th in 5on5 possession metrics. %55.6, %54.9, %52.9 and %51.2.

The Montreal series they lost the Caps took over 70% of shot attempts.

That was all Halak. He went into god mode.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
That was all Halak. He went into god mode.

Which subsequently led the Caps to completely change their game-plan and that was one of the biggest mistakes I've seen in professional team sports, ever.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
I can't wait until Boudreau gets behind some players that don't crumble in big moments. It's so unfair how he's criticized it's not even funny. He has his faults for sure, one of which is making in-game adjustments, another is some sometimes questionable lineup decisions, but he gets a hell of a lot out of his players. He's an amazing coach.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
I can't wait until Boudreau gets behind some players that don't crumble in big moments. It's so unfair how he's criticized it's not even funny. He has his faults for sure, one of which is making in-game adjustments, another is some sometimes questionable lineup decisions, but he gets a hell of a lot out of his players. He's an amazing coach.

When he was withj Anaheim and met Chicago in 2015 he was severely outcoached. Quenneville adapted, changed things and turned the series around. BB got outplayed. He is a good coach, but he has flaws. Saying "unfair how he's criticized" is strange, at least for me.

Edit: Please don't bring up our current coach. That is below the belt.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Which subsequently led the Caps to completely change their game-plan and that was one of the biggest mistakes I've seen in professional team sports, ever.

Word around these parts and some things that Boudreau said suggests it was George McPhee who drove that.

BB said that his one big regret was listening to the "voices" and not trusting how he had done things that made him so successful.

The true change to the trap came in the 2010-11 season after the Caps went thru an 4 game losing streak (they were playing well but snakebit and getting awful goaltending). Caps decided to go to the "trap". McPhee met with Boudreau and said that "this is the best thing that could have happened" in reference to the 4 game losing streak (that turned into an 8 game losing streak before they turned things around)

Bourdreau worked with a D corp that had Tom Poti and Jeff Schultz being the "shut down" D for much of the time. His goalies were either rookies or washed up vets (Kolzig with 2 bad knees, average Huet, retread Theodore)

His best 2nd line center was 40 year old Fedorov and he had him for 1 season and change.

Look at the Ducks before he got there and look at them now.

Look at the Wild before he got there.

Caps were dead last in the league at Thanksgiving when he took over and took them to the playoffs.

Ducks fans will soon realize they killed the goose that laid the golden egg just like Caps fans did with the next few seasons of futility before Trotz came along.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
What? No Boudreau is overrated thread? :sarcasm: Jking.

There's no denying that. THough someone put it good when describing Boudreau as a push it hard during Regular season but get tired and fall short in the playoffs.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Everyone started saying they needed to learn to play defense, defense was never their problem. They were too good offensively to start playing the trapping game. They were and still have been quite unlucky in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad