TSN: Brown will no longer be Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Maybe this will get his focus back. There's been no doubt of his work ethic, just his production.
I really can't see it going to anyone but Kopitar.
I'm of the opinion that Doughty wouldn't be a good choice. He's still a little too volatile. Doesn't bode well for dealing with officials, which is a main on ice job of captains.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Oh, thought you meant 4 months. Misread your post.

Not a problem.

I would argue that Mr. Lombardi, Mr. Loyalty, knows exactly what DB has done for the org and why he got the C in the first place. They're not ignoring his leadership and community service awards, two cups, or wanting--and following through on--to be the first captain in Kings history to lift ONE cup, never mind two.

I don't think this is done lightly, but surprise, another opportunity for outside folks to find a reason to crap on the Kings. Brown is captain? lol what a joke, what a ****** player and cheap shot artist. Brown has his C removed? What a crap organization.

Yeah, it's like going to Canada to talk to Richards, and then still looking to trade him after his subsequent season. He's given Brown multiple years to get his game going again. All the working out last summer.

Between letting Mitchell and Williams walk, doing the whole Richards thing, and now Brown, Lombardi must be feeling it. He's so emotionally attached to these guys.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Jon Hoven was actually right about something (not that we didnt see this coming). today is a good day for the Kings

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Jon Hoven was actually right about something (not that we didnt see this coming). today is a good day for the Kings

Think he said Brown would be moved and Kopitar would be given the "C". So I guess yeah, Kopitar will get the "C" but technically it wasn't for the reason he said (or at least not yet).

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
My guess is Kopitar but my choice would be Doughty, who I feel is the heart and soul of the Kings and it's living pulse. They go as he does.

The only thing with Doughty is that he can get caught up in things emotionally. We don't know how things go in the room and all that, but on the ice, Doughty can lose it. Not forever, but at times. Not saying that can't work, or that he can't change that one aspect, or that he should, I have no idea. I guess Pronger could lose it too at times, and he led a bunch of teams.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
The changes need to be with the style were playing and not who's wearing a letter.

A style that won 2 cups is in need of a change. Ok...

What style should the Kings emulate now?

As far as new captain, love Doughty but he's got a temper..

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Think he said Brown would be moved and Kopitar would be given the "C". So I guess yeah, Kopitar will get the "C" but technically it wasn't for the reason he said (or at least not yet).

I heard him say was that there will be a new Kings captain for next season, dont remember him saying anything about Brown being traded

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
I don't think this is done lightly, but surprise, another opportunity for outside folks to find a reason to crap on the Kings. Brown is captain? lol what a joke, what a ****** player and cheap shot artist. Brown has his C removed? What a crap organization.

I can't believe the Rangers bought out Drury, how can you treat a captain like that?

I'm not here talking as a Rangers fan. Lets just say I have a different relationship with him than you do.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
A style that won 2 cups is in need of a change. Ok...

What style should the Kings emulate now?

As far as new captain, love Doughty but he's got a temper..

It does if the team wants to get thru the NHL playoffs to the SCF again and that 'tweak' that was a part of Sutter's decision to stay is a part of that. That 'style' won them a cup 4 years ago, the league is evolving, it's a skill and speed style now, that 'big heavy game' is too tough to play 82 plus possibly 28 more.

And that 'style' has failed them over the last 2 years and has netted 1 playoff win. DL isn't blind , he has to have esp this year how the speed game has become an effective one.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
It does if the team wants to get thru the NHL playoffs to the SCF again and that 'tweak' that was a part of Sutter's decision to stay is a part of that. That 'style' won them a cup 4 years ago, the league is evolving, it's a skill and speed style now, that 'big heavy game' is too tough to play 82 plus possibly 28 more.

And that 'style' has failed them over the last 2 years and has netted 1 playoff win. DL isn't blind , he has to have esp this year how the speed game has become an effective one.

I still think it's lack of personnel as much as the style. How can you expect them to win/play faster with Schenn, Scuderi, and McNabb in the lineup?

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
If that was the case, the story would be Brown giving up the captaincy, not being told he was not going to be the captain.

Not necessarily.

Rob Blake is the only King to ever do this and he is still hated by many to this day because of it.

I'm not saying it's likely, but certainly not out of the realm of possibilities.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I remember the Mayor commenting to a comment of mine in 2014 on Twitter saying that Brown would never be relieved of the C as long as he was on the Kings. :popcorn:

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don't want Doughty to be captain because he's terrible at dealing with the refs which is half the job of being captain.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Sheez, since when the Kings started emulating the Sharks in captaincy strips? :facepalm:

Last I checked, when the Ducks upset the Sharks in 2009, the Sharks strip Marleau of his captaincy, while the Kings were commonly cited as the direct source of Joe Thornton's captaincy strip back in 2014.

As long as it is a player that cares and does not flare up like The Bronx is Burning (read: a cool- and level-headed player), I do not mind.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I still think it's lack of personnel as much as the style. How can you expect them to win/play faster with Schenn, Scuderi, and McNabb in the lineup?

Agree it's both. And it's not something you do overnight, it will take tweaking and deleting, adding and drafting. But they have to start by making some system changes. The current system, as have been evident in full season, is mentally and physically taxing over a full season and playoffs.
ANd I'm sure DL's watching how the Pens made a speed line for a 3rd line and it's been their best , most consistent, causing matchup issues.
Hopefully, he'll keep that in mind when he's drafting...

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles

I disagree, the Kings lost because of personnel and not necessarily their style.

Kings need to reload so to speak..

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Agree it's both. And it's not something you do overnight, it will take tweaking and deleting, adding and drafting. But they have to start by making some system changes. The current system, as have been evident in full season, is mentally and physically taxing over a full season and playoffs.
ANd I'm sure DL's watching how the Pens made a speed line for a 3rd line and it's been their best , most consistent, causing matchup issues.
Hopefully, he'll keep that in mind when he's drafting...

Yeah, they definitely go hand in hand with each other. Can't play faster without the players but at the same time, need to change the players to fit the system. Trevor Daley looked like a pretty good defenseman when he couldn't cut it in Chicago. Pittsburgh told him to just move the damn puck up the ice and forget defense. Best defense is a good offense. Same with Hagelin in Anaheim. Anaheim tried to play like the Kings but Hagelin doesn't fit that style.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Great move, maybe removing his C will take some pressure off of him and some of his old game can come back. Giving Kopitar the C is also solid.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What if DL voids Brown's contract using the Marshawn Lynch clause since he didn't speak to the media after the playoffs :sarcasm:

reporting on the fan 960 that Kopitar is already been given the C

Great! Was curious what the chatter would be this afternoon between that, NHL live, and the Mayor...can't be on the computer much this afternoon. Thanks!

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What if DL voids Brown's contract using the Marshawn Lynch clause since he didn't speak to the media after the playoffs :sarcasm:

Great! Was curious what the chatter would be this afternoon between that, NHL live, and the Mayor...can't be on the computer much this afternoon. Thanks!

delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad