TSN: Brown will no longer be Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I'm all for it. But they need to handle it properly. Also, who is next? I would go with Drew. He is younger, is liked, and could really help the newer kids along. Nothing against Kopitar, but his era to actually be captain sort of coincided with Brown's

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Disgraceful way to treat him after everything he's done for the Kings organization. He earned that C.

not sure anyone here can say this. How do you know he has not been treated fairly. I think the organization has treated him very fairly.

I highly doubt that DL did this by texting him. It was likely talked about in person

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Disgraceful way to treat him after everything he's done for the Kings organization. He earned that C.

I agree. I think the Mayor said awhile ago that they were planning on stripping Brown of the C and giving it to Kopitar. Sad to see the first part happening.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Maybe Brown is the one who told Dean it might be best if someone else was the captain?

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
not sure anyone here can say this. How do you know he has not been treated fairly. I think the organization has treated him very fairly.

I highly doubt that DL did this by texting him. It was likely talked about in person

"Hey Brownie, it's Dean. You should definitely go see Captain America, it's real good. Kids will love it. Oh BTW, no C next season, want to go in a new direction lol"

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Guess this happens, but the timing seems odd. Why not wait until after the SC?

Probably to try and bury the news a bit. The sports world if focused on the SCF and NBA conference finals and soon to be finals. This time of year it is a 5-10 minute segment and an article here or there, many causal fans might even miss it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Say what you want about his decline in play this is still a little sad. The guy has been the captain all the way through best era in Kings history. Gotta give him props for that.

On a positive note san jose has done this multiple times and continued success (Damphousse, Marleau, Thornton).

People need to stop thinking of the captaincy as an appointment for life. Expect 3-4 years then a change.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Probably to try and bury the news a bit. The sports world if focused on the SCF and NBA conference finals and soon to be finals. This time of year it is a 5-10 minute segment and an article here or there, many causal fans might even miss it.

Could be. NO ONE has even mentioned it yet besides that Frank guy.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Man, Mayor called this to happen months ago, around the last quarter of the season.

Clearly the organization is just as displeased with his performance as many of us are. Maybe they're doing this to light a fire under his ass? It could either motivate him to play better or he can continue being a crappy player and play himself out of the lineup and possibly off the roster.

Maybe he should learn how to use his linemates on the ice as opposed to being a turnover machine as soon as the puck touches his stick.

Over the past few years, I can't think of a more frustrating player to watch than Dustin Brown. I'm hopeful he can turn things around, but I'm not sure if he has it within him to do it.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It keeps happening. The Kings won the 2nd Cup on Friday the 13th, and basically nothing has gone right since. One after another. Go back to the day after, and try to predict the next 2 years. Nobody comes close.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
It keeps happening. The Kings won the 2nd Cup on Friday the 13th, and basically nothing has gone right since. One after another. Go back to the day after, and try to predict the next 2 years. Nobody comes close.

No one could have predicted that three Kings players get arrested in a 8 month period.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
it's hard to have a captain lead by example playing the level that Brown has been.

I hope it allows Brown to focus on just his shifts and his game

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Man, Mayor called this to happen months ago, around the last quarter of the season.

Clearly the organization is just as displeased with his performance as many of us are. Maybe they're doing this to light a fire under his ass? It could either motivate him to play better or he can continue being a crappy player and play himself out of the lineup and possibly off the roster.

Maybe he should learn how to use his linemates on the ice as opposed to being a turnover machine as soon as the puck touches his stick.

Over the past few years, I can't think of a more frustrating player to watch than Dustin Brown. I'm hopeful he can turn things around, but I'm not sure if he has it within him to do it.

This is the most likely case I think. Dean is probably making his offers around the league, but no one is biting. Maybe the idea is to relieve the pressure off his back so he could perform better and perhaps raise his value. To either again be a trade target or Las Vegas would be more likely to take him in the expansion draft.

As for the next captain it's going to be Kopi. I still suspect Brown will be an alternate in the upcoming season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's a copy-cat league, always has been. Stripping C's might be the new "in-thing".

I would suspect the list of captains stripped of their C is a fairly short one.

The list of captain's who have lead their team to TWO championships. Probably even shorter.

I would suspect the list of captains who did anything positive then had their production fall to 30 points a year and remained captain beyond that is pretty short too.

To suggest we're trying to 'copy' the Sharks when they stripped their Cs because they couldn't lead them deep when the complete opposite is true here is a stretch.

No one knows what's behind the scenes. For all we know, this is management saying "we want to keep you, and let's take away all the distractions to your performance."

I would argue that Mr. Lombardi, Mr. Loyalty, knows exactly what DB has done for the org and why he got the C in the first place. They're not ignoring his leadership and community service awards, two cups, or wanting--and following through on--to be the first captain in Kings history to lift ONE cup, never mind two.

I don't think this is done lightly, but surprise, another opportunity for outside folks to find a reason to crap on the Kings. Brown is captain? lol what a joke, what a ****** player and cheap shot artist. Brown has his C removed? What a crap organization.

I can't believe the Rangers bought out Drury, how can you treat a captain like that?

Last edited:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The Mayor might have some additional info...

The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 3m3 minutes ago

For more on today's Dustin Brown #LAKings story, I'll be jumping back on @SiriusXMNHL with Boomer and @LaughlinSXM at 145pm PST

It's not a total surprise, and it also doesn't rule out a trade. I don't think the C or lack of it will change his play. My guess is Kopitar but my choice would be Doughty, who I feel is the heart and soul of the Kings and it's living pulse. They go as he does.

I hope that Brown didn't find out from Twitter, the 'news' leaking out...he deserves far better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad