News Article: Brooks speaks with Dolan.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I have no problem with Dolan saying leadership was an issue. Who were the main leaders? The coaches and the captain. They're gone. I don't know about what kind of leadership any of the guys provided because I wasn't there, but the team seemed mentally soft and unprepared. So, obviously something was wrong there. And he's blaming guys that are no longer around. Maybe that's a chicken**** move, I can see how some would feel that way, but it's probably better than saying, "Our players sucked ass and we couldn't win games because they weren't talented enough." He's basically saying the problems are behind us and now we're looking forward to getting back to where we need to be. Which is fine, and good.

He's not going to win no matter what he says. But I don't think he'd want to infer that the problems are still with the team. It's easier to imply the problems were with people who are no longer here. Of course, it could burn bridges and dash the hopes of any return of those people. But it's happened before, of course.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
He's a top 5 NHL owner.

He will spend to and above the cap (salarys) in order to win. He treats his players extremely well. Doesn't interject in personnel decisions. His biggest issue has been loyalty. He fully trusts Slats. It's yielded varying results.

He was a terrible owner for the Knicks. If he is in fact staying away from impacting the roster, he'll become better. Let the new GM make his mark.

He never will win in the eyes of fans and the NY sports media. Case in point was the whole Phil Jackson debacle. He was told he interjects too much. He took the hands off approach with Phil. Was told he was doing the right thing. As soon as it became apparent that Jackson wasn't doing well, people were asking Dolan all the time about getting involved.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

This is why he doesn't talk. He'll never win. People are calling him the "worst owner in sports" quickly forgot about the Ottawa fiasco that has been going on for years. If we're going to be honest, he's the best owner in NY not named Steinbrenner. There are so many bad owners of sports teams, the fact someone who does the things he does gets as much hate as he does, it's surreal.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Change of culture to me always read as the coach not the captain. The rangers seemed to hate the turn the other cheek mentality
I would agree with this. The culture of the locker room is driven by the personality of the coach. A team, over time, takes on its coaches persona. Look at the culture under Torts and compare it to AV. The mentality of the whole team changed. And not in a good way.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
If it wasn’t for Messier,they would be chanting “1940” at the Rangers. Mark was a pain in the ass when his father negotiated his contracts. He had a big ego. If it wasn’t for Mark,the Rangers would have no Cups in 78 years.

Thank you. Another guy added to the list of those that get it.

That's great. Thanks Mess for captaining the only Rangers team to win in roughly 80 years. We've retired you're number and you're welcome at the Garden whenever.

Please stay away from coaching the team. We do not want you behind the bench. Go be an assistant at a lower level first. Learn that part before becoming a NHL coach.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's not going to win no matter what he says. But I don't think he'd want to infer that the problems are still with the team. It's easier to imply the problems were with people who are no longer here. Of course, it could burn bridges and dash the hopes of any return of those people. But it's happened before, of course.
Right, but who would we want to return? McDonagh will still be a fine player when he hits UFA, but not worth his contract. Nash was a guy I'd consider if he was cheap, but now he's had to deal with another injury. Not sure he's worth a gamble. Maybe Grabner? Depends on who we bring in and what system they'll employ, and even then I'm not sure if Grabner would feel slighted by what Dolan said since he wasn't part of the leadership group (at least in the sense of being a long-tenured Ranger or wearing a letter). And Miller, frankly I just don't think they'd want Miller back. Someone will back up the cash truck for him when he becomes a UFA.

I'd be cool bringing back Nick Holden. LOL. I doubt that bridge is burned.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Couldn't have been that they won because they had the most skill. It's because Messier was a bully and an egomaniac and his dick-twirling gave everyone magic motivation beans that made them better players.
Yes, he was a bully. Yes, he was and is an egomaniac. That does not change the fact that he was the consummate leader. On and off the ice. He led by example. He set the tone. He was not afraid to dress a player down or go to the coach with players concerns. Messier led. Players got in line.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Yes, he was a bully. Yes, he was and is an egomaniac. That does not change the fact that he was the consummate leader. On and off the ice. He led by example. He set the tone. He was not afraid to dress a player down or go to the coach with players concerns. Messier led. Players got in line.
OOps. Sorry.

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
Post-mortem on the season from management point to lack of leadership. McD was the Capt. so he may take the hit however Nash and the 'A's take blame. It look to me that this team had, fro some time, some flawed "systems" with respect to personnel on the bench. McD was a good Ranger for sure but his play slipped. More likely accumulation of injuries and playing in a chaotic defensive scheme. It was time to make a deal, for sure, but should have the decline on his shoulders.
Team sucked and is being rebuilt end of story!

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Please stay away from coaching the team. We do not want you behind the bench. Go be an assistant at a lower level first. Learn that part before becoming a NHL coach.
No one is debating this. All of which has absolutely nothing with him being a great Captain.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Right, but who would we want to return? McDonagh will still be a fine player when he hits UFA, but not worth his contract. Nash was a guy I'd consider if he was cheap, but now he's had to deal with another injury. Not sure he's worth a gamble. Maybe Grabner? Depends on who we bring in and what system they'll employ, and even then I'm not sure if Grabner would feel slighted by what Dolan said since he wasn't part of the leadership group (at least in the sense of being a long-tenured Ranger or wearing a letter). And Miller, frankly I just don't think they'd want Miller back. Someone will back up the cash truck for him when he becomes a UFA.

I'd be cool bringing back Nick Holden. LOL. I doubt that bridge is burned.

Yeah, his words were surely not directed at Grabner and Holden, two guys who could do well here if given the chance again.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Guy is a blowhard socialite who inherited it all from daddy. I'm surprised so many positive comments. The guy has destroyed one great franchise and did very little with the other. One championship between two flagship NY franchises in decades is **** ownership. One of the worst owners in the history of sports. I won't be surprised when he screws up the rebuild.
He spends a ton and doesn't get involved in running the team. That's great ownership as far as I'm concerned.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
That's great. Thanks Mess for captaining the only Rangers team to win in roughly 80 years. We've retired you're number and you're welcome at the Garden whenever.

Messier has no business coaching this team.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Ur a great poster and I’m not trying to disrespect u or ur knowledge / thoughts but if a coach is “hands off” as AV himself stated he was and let’s the leadership of the players run the team inside the lockroom... isn’t it both? I tend to agree that Hank was/is the true leadership and I’ll bet he gets on peoples cases when they screw up or mail it in... but when it looks like a horse, smells like a horse and acts like one... probably a horse. McD was a great player. Not a great C
Avs been the same for his entire tenure. Was McD a bad captain when he led us to the presidents trophy and am ecf berth on 1 leg? Was he a bad captain for all those deep playoff runs?

I dunno. Maybe he was. My entire point is that none of us know... you can make ANY inferences you'd like but I just disagree that anyone can be sure.

I think ppl like to badmouth players when they leave. Owners coaches everyone. I just never saw anything from McD other than being a heck of a player who always owned up and talked to the media. I saw the longest run of success for this club in my lifetine. Everything that has led to today to me isn't on McD or the leadership group as a whole..it comes down to real tangible hockey. Our system sucks. It's always sucked. Henrik Lindquist just wasn't able to God us to another deep playoff run.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Messier was a really talented player.

All the other stuff was nice to have too but without that talent first he was ending up a 3rd line checker (at the time)

That is not trying to take anything away from him, as he had the talent and the other stuff, more so to say the debate about what should be weighted more, talent or stuff, should always come down to talent winning out.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Messier "THE STARE".jpg

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Messier was a really talented player.

All the other stuff was nice to have too but without that talent first he was ending up a 3rd line checker (at the time)

That is not trying to take anything away from him, as he had the talent and the other stuff, more so to say the debate about what should be weighted more, talent or stuff, should always come down to talent winning out.
Not sure I 100% agree here. Messier was not the most talented player. He was, however, one of the hardest workers and one willing to do ANYTHING to win. He was surrounded by far more talented players than he was. But his will drove him and the team. Which is not to say he was a talent-less player. He was just relentless.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
The QUOTE wasn't why I posted that. Look at that look on his face. That would get a few guys on the bench going on a bad night.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Cablevision didn't own the Rangers until the 94 lockout. Stanley Jaffe is the one who wanted to hire Keenan, not Smith, the rest is revisionist history. Also Guy LaFleur played a huge role in the Cup. When the Rangers let him walk as a UFA to Quebec in July of 1989, they got a 5th round comp pick that turned into Sergei Zubov.

I don't think Sather was really "awful" up until 2011-12. The Jagr teams were very entertaining and the rebuild took a drastic turn after that. Do you really think they sign Shannahan, Cullen, and A. Ward in the summer of 2006 if the 2005-06 team wasn't competitive? The league did a reboot that would make JJ Abrams proud.

I remember being at the Amsterjam Show at Randall's Island a few weeks before training camp in 2005, and there were people that were furious that the Rangers didn't sign Khabeboulin or Forsberg and "Rangers have nobody and the Flyers are going all the way this year" yeah that happened.

Reactions: Elliman

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Avs been the same for his entire tenure. Was McD a bad captain when he led us to the presidents trophy and am ecf berth on 1 leg? Was he a bad captain for all those deep playoff runs?

I dunno. Maybe he was. My entire point is that none of us know... you can make ANY inferences you'd like but I just disagree that anyone can be sure.

I think ppl like to badmouth players when they leave. Owners coaches everyone. I just never saw anything from McD other than being a heck of a player who always owned up and talked to the media. I saw the longest run of success for this club in my lifetine. Everything that has led to today to me isn't on McD or the leadership group as a whole..it comes down to real tangible hockey. Our system sucks. It's always sucked. Henrik Lindquist just wasn't able to God us to another deep playoff run.

Those teams also had Brad Richards and Marty St. Louis, plus guys like Derek Stepan and Brian Boyle. Surely, those guys backed McD up.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Cablevision didn't own the Rangers until the 94 lockout. Stanley Jaffe is the one who wanted to hire Keenan, not Smith, the rest is revisionist history. Also Guy LaFleur played a huge role in the Cup. When the Rangers let him walk as a UFA to Quebec in July of 1989, they got a 5th round comp pick that turned into Sergei Zubov.

I don't think Sather was really "awful" up until 2011-12. The Jagr teams were very entertaining and the rebuild took a drastic turn after that. Do you really think they sign Shannahan, Cullen, and A. Ward in the summer of 2006 if the 2005-06 team wasn't competitive? The league did a reboot that would make JJ Abrams proud.

I remember being at the Amsterjam Show at Randall's Island a few weeks before training camp in 2005, and there were people that were furious that the Rangers didn't sign Khabeboulin or Forsberg and "Rangers have nobody and the Flyers are going all the way this year" yeah that happened.
Ah, I knew it was after the Cup, didn't realize it was that soon, however. Thanks for clarifying.

I stand by my assessment of the historical Dolan, however. (And while I enjoyed the heck out of those mid-00s teams, that doesn't change my view – which I also held at the time – that they were fool's gold that put off proper rebuilding.)

Hopefully the recent quotes are indicative of a new version.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad