News Article: Brooks speaks with Dolan.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Enjoyed the interview. Good of JD to speak on the team.

Before the TDL, I bulleted out a list of the reasons that McD would have been traded. The Captaincy was one.

As JD said, it was something that wasn't really the right fit for him. The rest of the interview, was solid. Good solid perspective, nice gentle dig at Alain. Guy's still making $8M from JD so totally justifiable.

Sounds like he's really embraced it.

Reactions: Ori

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Alpha male? What is this, the ****ing zoo?
Read about the last time your team won the cup. Messier ran everything to the point where he told guys how to dress and eat. He set curfew. He even physically kicked guys asses in the lockeroom if they didn’t play hard enough. He was the definition of an alpha male. Coincidentally the Rangers won

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Read about the last time your team won the cup. Messier ran everything to the point where he told guys how to dress and eat. He set curfew. He even physically kicked guys asses in the lockeroom if they didn’t play hard enough. He was the definition of an alpha male. Coincidentally the Rangers won

Sounds like a miserable experience that would make me play considerably worse.

Couldn't have been that they won because they had the most skill. It's because Messier was a bully and an egomanic and his dick-twirling gave everyone magic motivation beans that made them better players.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Yeah but how were Messier’s advanced stats?:sarcasm:

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017

Couldn't have been that they won because they had the most skill. It's because Messier was a bully and an egomanic and his dick-twirling gave everyone magic motivation beans that made them better players.
Reading your posts I absolutely agree with you that someone like Messier would make you play worse.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I was a big McDonagh fan. One of my favs on this club for sure. With that said, I never liked him with the C. The larger issue was he got that by default. Couldn't clearly give it to anyone else.

Tough to watch your teams captain get his ass beat by Cindy Crosby.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I would expect a crappy return with the Rangers eating salary. Do you think somebody is going to overpay in assets for a goalie pushing 40 with a sky-high price tag?

They will if he's the missing piece to a cup and they're desperate enough lol

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
When I read that article, I couldn't believe Dolan knew so much about hockey and the Rangers so in depth...If I didn't know better, I would have thought that Brooks wrote that article and posted it after getting the OK from Dolan...;)

Or his Comms staff gave him some key points to hit.

Not that I am speaking from experience or anything. [Looks around nervously]

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was a big McDonagh fan. One of my favs on this club for sure. With that said, I never liked him with the C. The larger issue was he got that by default. Couldn't clearly give it to anyone else.

Tough to watch your teams captain get his ass beat by Cindy Crosby.
"Cindy" is one of the nastiest, hardest-working players of this era and pretty much beats everyone's ass.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX

You clearly have never been a beer league captain.

Reactions: Machinehead

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Alpha male? What is this, the ****ing zoo?

Not the zoo, but the wilderness? More like it than you probably realize or want to admit.

We (humans) like to think of ourselves as above the fray and having evolved out of our animalistic tendencies, but that's just another bias that clouds our decision making. Leadership is a real thing and is absolutely a factor in all successful organizations.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not the zoo, but the wilderness? More like it than you probably realize or want to admit.

We (humans) like to think of ourselves as above the fray and having evolved out of our animalistic tendencies, but that's just another bias that clouds our decision making. Leadership is a real thing and is absolutely a factor in all successful organizations.
Hard to tell by reading this thread, but some of us have evolved. Evolved leaders respect their colleagues.

Messier's alleged behavior wasn't "alpha male," it was bullying on the part of a whiny manchild who wasn't hugged/spanked by daddy enough. Hard to tell which.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017

Amen. Why a hockey fan would deny this is mind boggling

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Hard to tell by reading this thread, but some of us have evolved. Evolved leaders respect their colleagues.

Messier's alleged behavior wasn't "alpha male," it was bullying on the part of a whiny manchild who wasn't hugged/spanked by daddy enough. Hard to tell which.

The thing is though, we haven't evolved. The time scales don't support that claim. We risk going way off the rails with this but it's a fascinating subject if you're interested.

I'm not justifying or condoning bullying by the way. I'm simply saying that social stratification is natural and important to the success of basically all organized human endeavours. People need clear direction and buy in on a common goal/story/idea in order to do hard things.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Not for nothing but that is some very dialed in stuff from Mr Dolan who I think has been a tremendous owner for us and doesn’t get enough credit. He knows his team but he lets the hockey guys make the decisions. But everything he said there is spot on and would only be communicated by a guy who knows his hockey club.

He’s spot on with Mcdonagh too. Was not a good captain. The C hurt him badly. Stepan should have been the guy to get it quite frankly.
I'm not going to have a link for this but Dolan was a tremendous meddler in the past. I had heard at the time that the Lindros deal was all Dolan. Somewhere in the middle of Sather's reign he backed off and the Rangers have been a very solid franchise ever since.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The thing is though, we haven't evolved. The time scales don't support that claim. We risk going way off the rails with this but it's a fascinating subject if you're interested.

I'm not justifying or condoning bullying by the way. I'm simply saying that social stratification is natural and important to the success of basically all organized human endeavours. People need clear direction and buy in on a common goal/story/idea in order to do hard things.
Don't wanna get off the rails but the evidence supporting evolution is in this thread.

It is a thing and I'm not saying don't have captains. But 1) let's not make that the problem when this team has had the worst defense for three years and 2) I don't want cancers like Messier in this room. Not as a coach or a leader. Leave him in the ground where dinosaurs belong.

Reactions: Inferno

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Giving up assets for Karlsson right now makes no sense. None.

The Rangers D is one of the weakest in the league with arguably only 3 bona-fide NHL'rs on the roster, maybe 2, but somehow one of the elite talents on defense in the NHL would make no sense for the Rangers???

Karlsson makes sense for virtually every team in the league. The Rangers included.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Don't wanna get off the rails but the evidence supporting evolution is in this thread.

It is a thing and I'm not saying don't have captains. But 1) let's not make that the problem when this team has had the worst defense for three years and 2) I don't want cancers like Messier in this room. Not as a coach or a leader. Leave him in the ground where dinosaurs belong.
Basically agree.

Being a captain at any level is more about the locker room than anything else... none of us know what's going on in there so calling him a good or bad captain is just guessing.

Not saying leadership is not a thibg..not saying any captain is a good or bad captaon...im literally just saying..nobody knows...you can't even adequately guess because what little info comes out is almost always 2nd or 3rd hand.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
The Rangers D is one of the weakest in the league with arguably only 3 bona-fide NHL'rs on the roster, maybe 2, but somehow one of the elite talents on defense in the NHL would make no sense for the Rangers???

Karlsson makes sense for virtually every team in the league. The Rangers included.
But the Sens will be looking for many assets in a trade to acquire him. That's why I don't see him leaving Ottawa until he is a UFA. We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad