Brooks Orpik

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Orpik played 23:48 last night. Maatta played 16:01 and Niskanen played 15:21. People really need to get over the idea that the Pens are going to trade Orpik, and they should probably get over the idea that they won't at least try to extend him. Bylsma views him as the shutdown defenseman on this team, period.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Orpik played 23:48 last night. Maatta played 16:01 and Niskanen played 15:21. People really need to get over the idea that the Pens are going to trade Orpik, and they should probably get over the idea that they won't at least try to extend him. Bylsma views him as the shutdown defenseman on this team, period.

He only shuts down OUR offense however

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
The shot that took Sid out was at Sid's jaw line, while he was standing off to the side of the net, i.e. extremely high and wide. Wasn't even on net. :laugh:

Orpik is done, and has been declining rapidly for years.

I remember watching it with my dad. He asked why Orpik didn't shoot it at the net. I had to say "dad, it's Brooks Orpik. That is as close to a dead centre shot on net as you're going to get from him".

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Come on fellas...there's enough stuff to rag on Orpik lately that you don't need to make stuff up.

The puck that hit Sid in the face was clearly redirected.

0:50 mark...

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Not to rehash jaw gate, but Orpik does golf an awful lot of pucks head high through lanes our guys are in. If not for a deflection, Megna might have been getting some dental surgery on account of old brooksie after the Habs game.

Once you first notice it, it's difficult to not see how often he throws wild, uncontrolled head high bombs to bad places. He's also the only D of ours who does this.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Why do we need to get over a bad decision?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I do, unfortunately, think that Orpik won't be traded this season (Shero doesn't have the balls), but I don't think he'll be extended either. You can't have Orpik + Scuderi + Niskanen + Martin all signed/extended. My priority, in order, would be to extend Martin and Niskanen. Orpik, please go in the offseason if not before...

And a funny thread for posterity. I wish I was the GM, and would have traded Orpik 3-4 years ago when we would have got a sh**load in return for him. Oh well....:sarcasm:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=699225&highlight=controversial

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I do, unfortunately, think that Orpik won't be traded this season (Shero doesn't have the balls), but I don't think he'll be extended either. You can't have Orpik + Scuderi + Niskanen + Martin all signed/extended. My priority, in order, would be to extend Martin and Niskanen. Orpik, please go in the offseason if not before...

And a funny thread for posterity. I wish I was the GM, and would have traded Orpik 3-4 years ago when we would have got a sh**load in return for him. Oh well....:sarcasm:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=699225&highlight=controversial

If that truly is the case, then a logical thinker would conclude that we should get "free" value for him now instead of letting him leave for nothing.

We have BOTH Despres and Bortz that (IMO) can easily take over some of his minutes, and most likely contribute more to the bottom line. Even if they aren't quite capable of filling his shoes, the B6 forward player we'd gain would more than make up for it. Chances of both failing is pretty slim.

We could get a solid 3rd line wing for Orpik that takes Adams off that 3rd line.

Key word = "logical" =/ Penguins

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If someone bumped Adams out of his position, he'd be given Vitale's. I don't understand it (he was horrendous at center), but that's the way it is.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
He leads the team in blocked shots, thats a plus.

no it isn't. It's a meh stat. I wonder what zone the puck is in when he gets a block? I wonder what team has the puck?

The fact that he has a lot of blocks is only an indicator that the other team is shooting a lot against our team when he is on the ice. Michalek also had a ton of blocks and he is terrible.

Shot blocks while on the PK are good, but those aren't tracked. A 5v5 shot block is a double edged sword, just like hits. Its more an indicator that said player doesn't have puck possession very often than anything positive.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I'm okay with Oprik but he's going to command $5M. That's going to close the door on a lot of possibilities and keep guys like Pouliot, Harrington, Dumolin, etc. down.

Some sucker is going to give Orpik another 4+ x 4 deal, I just hope its not us.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Parts of this thread are revisionist history IMO. He sucks now and he started going downhill pretty hard last year / admitted he was not going full-tilt during the summer... but the Cup year and the year or two after the Cup he provided good value for this team / didn't have any more ****** nights than the next D.

Now that he's stinking up the joint though it's typical HFB-bash-fest and Orpik has sucked since the dawn of man. :laugh:

Also our system is much more stocked and proven now than 3-4 years ago so you know... some folks should take that into consideration. There was no Despres, Bortuzzo or Maatta ready to go and no confident Niskanen ready to go.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I thought he was good until last year. The hernia's really took it out of him obviously. If he was just solid defensively, always in good position then I'm fine with him taking it a little easy physically during the season. The problem is his IQ seems to have taken a dip.

He misses assignments like a rookie and he's soft on sticks around the net. He's supposed to be a defensively sound, physical D with good skating but he's brought NONE of that consistently this year. The one thing he should never do is miss assignments or make bad reads in the defensive zone.

Hopefully playoffs Orpik is still a thing.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
I think the only hope is for DB to play Orpik 20 minutes a game in the olympics. Obviously, he'll be terrible, and then the national media will start ******** on Orpik, and hopefully DB for bringing/playing him. Please please happen.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Orpik is not going to be traded, and I won't be upset if he isn't. However I think it would be completely ridiculous if he is re-signed. Shero has to know where the organization stands. We've got a billion defensive prospects knocking on the door, most of whom project to be better than Orpik ever was. With Scuderi locked up for a few more years it would make no sense to re-sign a second guy whose primary role is to be a "grizzly locker room veteran."

If a guy like Despres or even Niskanen gets traded for a middling return and then Orpik is re-signed I'll be grabbing the torch and pitchfork.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
The rise of Bortuzzo makes Orpik virtually useless to us. Bortuzzo has given out more free candy this season than Orpik has since 2011. Couple that with the fact that his game is declining and he seems to have more bad nights than good he just doesn't serve a purpose here anymore.

That said, he will get extended 3 years for 10.5M because "family".

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Parts of this thread are revisionist history IMO. He sucks now and he started going downhill pretty hard last year / admitted he was not going full-tilt during the summer... but the Cup year and the year or two after the Cup he provided good value for this team / didn't have any more ****** nights than the next D.

Now that he's stinking up the joint though it's typical HFB-bash-fest and Orpik has sucked since the dawn of man. :laugh:

Also our system is much more stocked and proven now than 3-4 years ago so you know... some folks should take that into consideration. There was no Despres, Bortuzzo or Maatta ready to go and no confident Niskanen ready to go.

I'd like to point out that I've been calling out Orpik for sucking since everyone was calling out Martin for sucking. Orpik wasn't sucking this badly, but he hasn't been good in a long time.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'd like to point out that I've been calling out Orpik for sucking since everyone was calling out Martin for sucking. Orpik wasn't sucking this badly, but he hasn't been good in a long time.

Agreed. That's why I posted that link to my thread from 2009. Thankfully, Orpik + Gonchar were able to elevate their game just enough to help us get that cup in 2009, but Orpik has never been great in terms of in zone coverage -- particularly in terms of picking up guys in front of the net.

He's a physical, strong guy, and he's a great skater and makes an underrated first pass. But in other areas of the game he's very average (as mentioned above), and he squanders SO many opportunities in the offensive zone. I'm not saying we need(ed) this guy to be a point producer or goal scorer, but jesus -- at least get the puck through and on net consistently. He doesn't know when NOT to take the big wind-up slapper and make the simple wrist shot, shoot it intentionally wide off the boards or pass the puck to the other D if he's got no shooting lane. He's not neutral on offence: he costs us offensive chances.

This is why I love Harrington so much, and why I think any one of Despres/Dumo/Harry would be an upgrade overall. No, outside of Despres, they may not match his physicality, but at least they won't be liabilities in the offensive zone.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The rise of Bortuzzo makes Orpik virtually useless to us. Bortuzzo has given out more free candy this season than Orpik has since 2011. Couple that with the fact that his game is declining and he seems to have more bad nights than good he just doesn't serve a purpose here anymore.

That said, he will get extended 3 years for 10.5M because "family".

Bortuzzo will never be a top 4 D-man without injuries, not on this team, probably never. He can't even crack the bottom pairing regularly. That should tell you something.

Yes. He has to the point that other teams players are coming to take shots at him.:sarcasm: He literally hasn't played enough to even scratch the surface. Maybe one day when he adds to his frame a little bit. He (Orpik) takes the brunt of hits just as much as he hands it out. I've seen guys like Ovechkin obliterate Bortuzzo while Orpik absorbs it more and most times players bounce off him. It's like a hit without him initiating the hit. You guys don't notice this stuff probably because you're watching the puck after Orpik sends it up. Orpik is a more punishing D-man, period.

As Jmelm said, he's never been a great positional player and that's due to him taking risks, risks that gets noticed around the league and why players respect what he does. Remove Orpik from this lineup and teams will be putting much more pressure on our D. Bortuzzo would be just another target to easily get off his game. After that what do you have?

Go ahead, send away Orpik. You won't like the punishment the defense will takes in a 7 game series against a team targeting the D on dump ins. How do you stop that? Step up at the blueline.

It won't be like the regular season, things get elevated up, and so will, Orpik.

Those are just some hard truths to take with, Orpik.

Just look at what they won with before that were not exactly 80% to 100% sound. 80% to 100% sound, those players cost 6.0 to 9.0, even players not 100% sound cost more in some cases(Letang being one case), and Orpik comes in at half to one third of that cost.

You have to take warts, all players have them to some degree. Some thrive from a certain system put into play, ones that suite how they play. Orpik certainly hasn't been a full believer in this system sighting they should play more defense. This season they're only starting to get back to it (LW lock) being far from it for 4 seasons straight.

I think we win a cup with Orpik not without. D is too green for me with him out.

This is all I'll say on the Orpik subject because, you all have made up your minds already. For my own sanity this thread will be put on ignore like the many Staal threads.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Brooks Orpik doesn't belong in our top 4 either. The only thing that keeps him there is reputation, salary and history. He is not as good as Scuderi, Maatta, Niskanen, Letang or Martin. And personally I would say Despres too without any hesitation.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As Jmelm said, he's never been a great positional player and that's due to him taking risks, risks that gets noticed around the league and why players respect what he does. Remove Orpik from this lineup and teams will be putting much more pressure on our D. Bortuzzo would be just another target to easily get off his game. After that what do you have?

I have never once seen Bortuzzo taken off his game...I HAVE seen him take a bunch of opposition players off theirs. I have also seen Orpik thrown off his game to the point where he abandons position and all sense to go after a guy and give him extra shots away from the play, to the detriment of the team.

Go ahead, send away Orpik. You won't like the punishment the defense will takes in a 7 game series against a team targeting the D on dump ins. How do you stop that? Step up at the blueline.

If only Bortuzzo knew how to step on people, right? :laugh:

Bort not only steps up on people, he can do it judiciously without chasing hits, and he can answer the bell afterwards. He can also - unlike Orpik - give players the business in front of the net, like when he worked over Chara.

Just look at what they won with before that were not exactly 80% to 100% sound. 80% to 100% sound, those players cost 6.0 to 9.0, even players not 100% sound cost more in some cases(Letang being one case), and Orpik comes in at half to one third of that cost.

Scuds, Martin, Niskanen, Bort, Despres, and Maatta have been more sound than Orpik. Letang's been a gong show too, but he brings dynamic offense. Orpik brings nothing but big talk and an extensive blooper reel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad